December 12, 2019, 04:17:33 PM

Author Topic: Favorite part of writing fantasy?  (Read 3837 times)

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Favorite part of writing fantasy?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 03:56:29 PM »
Now if we could just figure out how to make heroes that are as good.
Funnily enough, that was my reaction too when I read Matamelcan's post, because I immediately thought: but heroes should have as many shades of grey as of white too!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online Yora

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 04:37:23 PM »
I think an important part and possibly the biggest, is to have the protagonist create the plot, instead of just discovering what the antagonists are doing. Not just throwing obstacles in the way of the heroes on their way to the villain's throne room, but to take the initiative.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 06:41:10 PM »
Describing the fantastic is absolutely my favourite part.

The book said we would see nokken this night, and we did. They came as expected, beautiful white horses stampeding towards us, backed by the thrill of violins played by unseen hands. I was expert now and between us the chatter of our rifles soon stilled the hoofbeats of those devilish shapechangers. I saw only one change; a nokken that reared up in front of Mama, scorpion tail erupting from its back as its front legs melted and thickened into chitinous plates. Mama’s rifle laid it to rest with a bullet to the heart. She never even blinked.

I just adore writing stuff like the above and honing it and honing it until it sounds just right (for me). I'm not sure there's any other genre that I could indulge in like this.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 08:40:24 PM »
Describing the fantastic is absolutely my favourite part.

The book said we would see nokken this night, and we did. They came as expected, beautiful white horses stampeding towards us, backed by the thrill of violins played by unseen hands. I was expert now and between us the chatter of our rifles soon stilled the hoofbeats of those devilish shapechangers. I saw only one change; a nokken that reared up in front of Mama, scorpion tail erupting from its back as its front legs melted and thickened into chitinous plates. Mama’s rifle laid it to rest with a bullet to the heart. She never even blinked.

I just adore writing stuff like the above and honing it and honing it until it sounds just right (for me). I'm not sure there's any other genre that I could indulge in like this.

^ That passage is kind of... creepy, and cool. Very cool.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 09:15:09 PM »
Thank you. :)

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2015, 07:09:15 PM »
rather than fancy worldbuilding descriptions any of the super-interesting things most fantasy authors love, i've discovered that i do so love writing fantasy dialog.

for example, my protag needs help from this irascible old man:
“I need to speak to the ‘Spirit Talker’.” Wens felt a complete idiot, but was the picture of patience.  This was going to be challenging as well as ridiculous.

“You mean you need to get that wagon away from here?  Yes, that’s a brilliant idea.”

“But…”

“In fact, you should probably turn around and go back to wherever you just came from.”

“I simply…”

“Want to leave?  That’s marvelous.  Good day.”  The old man, having just reached the bottom of the steps, turned around and started wobbling his way back to the open door.

“Wait — I have money…”

The old man didn’t turn around, only waved his cane over his shoulder, “Not for long if you keep telling the entire ward.”

“How about a ride?”  Wens followed up the steps, not giving up.

“Sorry, but you’re too heavy for me.”

but my favorite thing i've written today?  this exchange after the old man agrees to help, but has been heckling him the entire time:
“I don’t know what I believe.  Like I said, you’re the last of a long row of options.”  Wens shrugged.  “I’m desperate.”

“Then, I hope your bag of gold is large, my dear, mis-named friend.  One of my favorite things in all of creation is to take advantage of the desperate.”

Wens considered stopping the wagon and getting off right there.  He weighed if he wouldn’t be better off working as one of the prostitutes in the brothel across the street.  At least then, rather than paying to be screwed, he’d be the one getting paid.

Offline Mr.J

• Anus Dracula formerly known as Arse Demon and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • Tweedy impertinence
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2015, 09:15:03 PM »
I think now i've pondered it my favourite aspect of writing fantasy is the limitless potential of character's I can create in my own unique (hopefully) world.

I can write an elderly, bald and powerful businesswoman who manipulates the political sphere to her advantage, with a mute bodyguard/assassin and a thirteen year old girl as her assistants.

I can create a transgendered woman trying to survive and manoeuvre as a male secretary in the King's court. The best thing about Fantasy is I can write these people and not have to face any consequences with them attaining to the real world.

It's also very fun.

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2015, 03:02:42 AM »
A lot of the fantasy I write and draw could be considered more like a "customized reality". That is to say, I draw a lot of inspiration from the real world, but then modify it to better fit my personal liking. I always had a love-hate relationship with reality; its fundamental paradox is its ability to amaze beyond our imagining and to disappoint. What I like to do is take in what I like about reality and leave out or change the disappointing parts. This technique would fit more snugly into fantasy than any others.
NEW self-published anthology:
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2015, 12:34:58 PM »
rather than fancy worldbuilding descriptions any of the super-interesting things most fantasy authors love, i've discovered that i do so love writing fantasy dialog.

for example, my protag needs help from this irascible old man:
“I need to speak to the ‘Spirit Talker’.” Wens felt a complete idiot, but was the picture of patience.  This was going to be challenging as well as ridiculous.

“You mean you need to get that wagon away from here?  Yes, that’s a brilliant idea.”

“But…”

“In fact, you should probably turn around and go back to wherever you just came from.”

“I simply…”

“Want to leave?  That’s marvelous.  Good day.”  The old man, having just reached the bottom of the steps, turned around and started wobbling his way back to the open door.

“Wait — I have money…”

The old man didn’t turn around, only waved his cane over his shoulder, “Not for long if you keep telling the entire ward.”

“How about a ride?”  Wens followed up the steps, not giving up.

“Sorry, but you’re too heavy for me.”

but my favorite thing i've written today?  this exchange after the old man agrees to help, but has been heckling him the entire time:
“I don’t know what I believe.  Like I said, you’re the last of a long row of options.”  Wens shrugged.  “I’m desperate.”

“Then, I hope your bag of gold is large, my dear, mis-named friend.  One of my favorite things in all of creation is to take advantage of the desperate.”

Wens considered stopping the wagon and getting off right there.  He weighed if he wouldn’t be better off working as one of the prostitutes in the brothel across the street.  At least then, rather than paying to be screwed, he’d be the one getting paid.

I will claim to be you when your writing is celebrated.  8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2015, 04:17:56 PM »
I will claim to be you when your writing is celebrated.  8)

that should be pretty easy.  as i remember, you're a dead-ringer for impersonating me!