April 01, 2020, 08:51:30 PM

Author Topic: Favorite Fantasy Race(you made)  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Phoenix

Favorite Fantasy Race(you made)
« on: March 04, 2016, 03:40:44 PM »
I don't know if there's a thread for this(and i'm too lazy to look for it if there is), but what's your favorite fantasy race YOU have either made or are developing(for a past book,current book, or just for the heck of it).

Mine is the Saevus, which have 6 arms, glowing red eyes, teeth filed to points, pale skin and spiraling horns. They're kind of like vampires because they feed on blood(and unlike "normal" vampires, they'll drain you dry of your blood and if they're still hungry then they'll feed on your flesh). They love war(scratch that, they're obsessed with it). Lastly they hunt by hiding in trees and then ambushing their prey, by jumping on them from above and sinking their teeth into them(there's a "venom" sac above their teeth in which they inject a neurotoxin into their victim to paralyze them while they're feeding).
"My death shall spark a war, and from the ashes of the battlefield I shall be reborn"

Offline Yora

Re: Favorite Fantasy Race(you made)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 04:03:43 PM »
That's a good question. While they are one of the pretty mundane ones, my favorite would probably the Kaas. They are very human-like but average at about 2m tall with faces that combine elements of lions and bears with thick manes. They also have big goat-like horns. They are at home in mountainous regions and have extremely strong arms and legs that make them very good at climbing and jumping. And they have a culture very loosely inspired by Mongolia and Tibet.
They are really mostly a combination of various kinds of orcs and beastmen and nothing particularly original, but I like them very much.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 06:05:33 PM »
The easiest way to explain this race, which I love to pieces, is to picture the dome head of a Pachycephalosaurus with the limbs and legs of a human if it were covered in snake-like scales. They have long tails, thick toe claws and are famous for their duels that happen in the streets to settle disputes, which consist of ramming heads into each other until one gives or is knocked unconscious.

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 06:44:55 PM »
The easiest way to explain this race, which I love to pieces, is to picture the dome head of a Pachycephalosaurus with the limbs and legs of a human if it were covered in snake-like scales. They have long tails, thick toe claws and are famous for their duels that happen in the streets to settle disputes, which consist of ramming heads into each other until one gives or is knocked unconscious.
I so wish I came up with this before you >:( ;) ;D
"My death shall spark a war, and from the ashes of the battlefield I shall be reborn"

Offline ArhiX

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 04:53:12 AM »
My fav race (right after magical dinosaurs) are Tyens. They are a race of small, fat humans (avarage 1,60m.  and 70kg). For some reason they were able to conquer almost 90% of a whole continent, and create an empire, that existed (and still does) for more than 3000 years. Their best strategy, is to wait until other, stronger races, just flat out go extinct because of internal conflicts, and angry gods. Then, they just go into that nations' teritory, and claim it for themselves. Their weakness is also their biggest strength.
"The world is full of stories, and from time to time, they permit themselves to be told."

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 01:50:00 AM »
Almost all my races are humans, so I guess I'll just talk about my favourite ethnic group.  But that's hard because I have two.

The appearance of True Faithens is like a cross between the elves of Rivendell in LOTR and Neji Hyuga from Naruto.  Throw in a few Japanese customs and similar clothing and architecture, Jewish and Christian religion, strict gender roles, a sense hierarchy, and rich tradition, and that pretty much sums them up.  They live in the forest country of Serenestí, which is like an island of forest in a sea of vast grassland and rolling terrain.  They're a homogenous race, very distinct in appearance from the other races of the world.  At the dawn of the second age, they were the first country to branch out and trade amongst the other nations, but as yet have a strict foreign policy and anti-integration views to preserve their language and culture.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline adamcbassett

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 02:19:59 AM »
I created the map for my current project about a year ago. Right when I created it I decided an area called the Glassmarsh was home to a tribal group of non-humans. I forget their species name, though it's likely somewhere in my old files...anyway they were humanoid land-based birdfolk. I'll try to explain that in more detail: they were on average about 4-5 ft. tall, grey skinned, feathered all over but primarily around the areas wings and tails would form–though they were flightless. They had pale yellow beaks and razor sharp claws, spoke in a tongue that utilized screeches and clicks, and hunted in packs using spears and short swords and their talons.

They were my favorite because they reminded me of the clickers from The Last of Us, aves, and wolves all in one, and they felt pretty much entirely mine. Other fantasy races I'd made before were things like elves with 1 difference or dragons. Not terribly unique. These were the raiders of the marsh across the river, nightmare stories brought into life, something that made you look at a common chicken in your farm a bit differently because you wonder if in some way the two are related.

Now they don't exist in the story I'm writing. I shifted to an all-human cast, though I'll probably reference them in some way as bedtime stories or a twisted child's drawing.
Published author, graphic designer, and web designer.

See http://www.adamcbassett.com for details.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 05:07:10 AM »
I'd have to say the Gleems, although I'm still not entirely sure I created them, or they created themselves. No one really knows what they are or where they really come from, but the money is on them being from another dimension. They look like little green blobs and spend most of their time behaving like endlessly curious and squabbling children. This often serves to mask how powerful they actually are. Throughout the history of all the Realms in Realmspace, including our own, they've popped up with people of destiny. Whether or not those people would have still achieved their 'destiny' without the Gleems is debatable. They don't speak any known language, and only 2 people in the books can actually speak Gleem, and one of those speaks it badly if the Gleems' reaction is anything to judge by. They can speak to others, but they have to break long words up into syllables, short sentences with shorter words have each of them saying a word. Mostly they manifest as 3 separate blobs, but they can meld and become one larger blob. They can also ingest things much larger than themselves and they use that as a protection device for themselves and whoever they happen to have allied themselves with at the time. They're a lot of fun to write as well.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 07:37:43 PM »
Does anyone have a character in their book or story thats a complete badass? What are they like?

Offline CryptofCthulhu

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 08:35:40 AM »
Does anyone have a character in their book or story thats a complete badass? What are they like?

I try to show restraint when it comes to making characters overly badass.
“Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ~ William S. Boroughs

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 08:58:27 AM »
The problem here is that everyone has a different idea of what is badass...

Offline bdcharles

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 01:11:23 PM »
In my WIPs I have Swarhelians. These mauve-tinted folk, colloquially referred to as Bluebirds, are largely humanoid. The men can change colour like a chameleon and often find work in the stealth industry, as scouts or thieves, while the women have beautiful white angelic wings. Sadly, however, following a period of slavery many of the women had their wings - and arms - hacked off, and wear white tops to cover up the stumps. They finance their post mutilation lives through performances at the ballet.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 01:13:53 PM by bdcharles »
Find me on twitter @jd_books

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 02:00:09 PM »
ok, what's your idea of badass? @HenryDale

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2016, 02:56:43 PM »
ok, what's your idea of badass? @HenryDale

I'm going to use examples from the romance of the three kingdoms to help you understand it but to me Zhuge Liang, being a feeble but cunning strategist that manages to orchestrate the war into his favour despite the odds against him is more badass than for example Zhao Yun who has numerous legendary battle feats attributed to him.
While for others smarts or strength are badass things, it's my personal choice to place cunning and deception above those things.

Offline SarahW

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 07:32:49 AM »
Skull-fairies, the razor thin post apocalyptic version of are flittery friends in folklore.

Also a god that was created by the MCs imagination paradoxically having always existed. He is the father of Vella, who follows his footsteps becoming one who always existed.

Clocktime was born from a dream, and a friend of mine helped me flesh him out. Best cowriter ever.