August 25, 2019, 03:10:09 PM

Author Topic: Fantasy & Tarot  (Read 962 times)

Offline NedMarcus

Fantasy & Tarot
« on: August 24, 2018, 09:10:15 AM »
A pen name question.

I write fantasy under the pen name Ned Marcus; I'm also a tarot reader, researching a tarot website, and in the future wish to write books on tarot.

Do you think it would be confusing or off-putting if I used the same name for these two different genres of books? If they were on the same Amazon author page? Or would it make no difference to you at all? Or would it be better to write the tarot books under another name: N.M. Marcus, for example?

Either way, I'll have two distinct websites for the different topics.

I'm planning for the future, and I'd like to know how other people would react to this. To me it seems interesting, but that's obviously because I'm interested in both areas—I'm well aware that most people are not.

Offline Slaykomimi

Re: Fantasy & Tarot
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 09:23:02 AM »
I think many people would publish books of different content under different names. It helps the reader to pick what he likes.

As you said, you are aware that most people are not interested in both so it could be a turn off if they browse through the works of Ned Marcus and find non fantasy books and vice versa.

I think of it as in the music industry where there are sometimes 2 bands with the same members just to do a different genre. They knew it would give a weird image to be like lets say the heaviest band in the world and suddenly release some smooth jazz record. It would only confuse the fans cause (most of them) they just have no use for the totally different work.

On the other hand I like the idea to show that people are not limited to one field. I like the Idea that people have more than one hobby or talent (which sadly is rarely the case). It shows diversity and that we could strive for more in our lives than just narrowing our visions on one single field. But sadly most people are uncomfortable with that thought and just don´t understand why they should have more than one interest. So I would suggest to just publish it under the other name.
Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind.

-Edward d. Morrison

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 09:50:04 AM »
I would prefer not to see both genres under the same author name, I think you'd have more success (with either) by using different names.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 10:02:26 AM »
I don't think it would be confusing at all. It's not like people will pick up your fantasy book thinking it's one of your space operas. As long as it's clearly not a novel then you're probably fine.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Peat

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 10:46:19 AM »
Its a question of taste. Guys like Moore and Gaiman put their very varied body of work out there all under the same name. Guys like Abraham and Jordan use pen names for each project. Banks simply added an initial to differentiate his books. I know of one author who had an Epic Fantasy declined as his publisher wanted to keep him branded under one genre but nobody told Bujold that.

I think the more modern thing is to separate the brands but I feel like any definitive argument is going to involve a lot of hair splitting.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 01:33:54 PM »
Thanks Everyone! I appreciate your thoughts on this. I'm leaning towards two names, but haven't finally decided yet.