May 24, 2019, 10:18:16 PM

Author Topic: Dragonbane's Worldbuilding Questions  (Read 8120 times)

Offline Yora

Re: Dragonbane's Worldbuilding Questions
« Reply #90 on: March 16, 2016, 02:26:10 PM »
Both kinds are very cool.
Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

There is nothing to read!

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 16, 2016, 02:30:12 PM »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 16, 2016, 05:08:53 PM »
I am all about Humanoid Octopi. We could call them Octo-Homos.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline ArhiX

« Reply #93 on: March 17, 2016, 12:23:52 AM »
@Dragonbane - have you ever considered putting a race that is not humanoid?
I know that we can argue about what "humanoid" truly means, but for me it means that a being looks, behave and think just like a human being. If you just want humanoid races in your world, then it's completely fine. You might just want human-like wolfs and human-like lions fighting each other. It's still fine - you do you.

But for me it is not. Putting humans in animal costumes looks just... lazy to me.
I'm going for a rule: If this character can be played as a human, then there is no need for him to be of a different race. I will just color him along (as I have white, yellow, black and green-blue humans to emapthize them with places they are living in). A different race must feel distinctive - not only look a little bit off. They should act and think in a different way. Just look how vastly different our race can be. Just try and compare people from Japan, and those from west Europe. Many different. Much diversity. WOW.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:25:40 AM by ArhiX »
"The world is full of stories, and from time to time, they permit themselves to be told."

Offline CryptofCthulhu

« Reply #94 on: March 17, 2016, 07:20:28 AM »
I am all about Humanoid Octopi. We could call them Octo-Homos.

Cthulhu spawn.  ;D
“Silence is only frightening to people who are compulsively verbalizing.” ~ William S. Boroughs

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2016, 01:34:11 PM »
@Dragonbane - have you ever considered putting a race that is not humanoid?
I know that we can argue about what "humanoid" truly means, but for me it means that a being looks, behave and think just like a human being. If you just want humanoid races in your world, then it's completely fine. You might just want human-like wolfs and human-like lions fighting each other. It's still fine - you do you.

But for me it is not. Putting humans in animal costumes looks just... lazy to me.
I'm going for a rule: If this character can be played as a human, then there is no need for him to be of a different race. I will just color him along (as I have white, yellow, black and green-blue humans to emapthize them with places they are living in). A different race must feel distinctive - not only look a little bit off. They should act and think in a different way. Just look how vastly different our race can be. Just try and compare people from Japan, and those from west Europe. Many different. Much diversity. WOW.
A better word for humanoid(in this case) is biped. They don't "act" like humans, they act like themselves and think differently then humans, therefore they're not humanoid.
"My death shall spark a war, and from the ashes of the battlefield I shall be reborn"

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #96 on: March 17, 2016, 01:38:29 PM »
Just try and compare people from Japan, and those from west Europe. Many different. Much diversity. WOW.

Many different? Much diversity?? They are still humans

Also just so you're wondering my whole world is full of Beastmen("humanoids") which are all "sub-types" of a very evolved(or devolved) race of humans.
"My death shall spark a war, and from the ashes of the battlefield I shall be reborn"

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2016, 06:14:16 PM »
Just try and compare people from Japan, and those from west Europe. Many different. Much diversity. WOW.

Also just so you're wondering my whole world is full of Beastmen("humanoids") which are all "sub-types" of a very evolved(or devolved) race of humans.

I think you should have some humanoid marsupials. Homo-platypus. Homo-roo. Etc...
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2016, 10:53:03 PM »
This starts to sound more and more like the novel version of Zootopia.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #99 on: March 17, 2016, 11:12:54 PM »

So how do you explain how humans evolved into all these different kinds of "humanoid" animals that so happen to closely resemble totally unrelated species? How would humans evolve into humanoid lions or other felines, for example? That would require an unprecedentedly extreme version of convergent evolution.

I would find it more plausible if, say, they were "hybrids" between human and animal DNA. Perhaps they'd be the product of some experiment in the distant past?
NEW self-published anthology:
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline Nighteyes

• Ringbearer
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2016, 10:51:03 AM »

So how do you explain how humans evolved into all these different kinds of "humanoid" animals that so happen to closely resemble totally unrelated species? How would humans evolve into humanoid lions or other felines, for example? That would require an unprecedentedly extreme version of convergent evolution.

I would find it more plausible if, say, they were "hybrids" between human and animal DNA. Perhaps they'd be the product of some experiment in the distant past?

Maybe their parents were into beastility?
The Real Powers That Be

Offline TBM

« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2016, 11:19:35 AM »
Getting past the well known biological limitations of humans would be a valid reason for writing humanoid animals or a humanoid fantasy race.

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Elderling
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
Dragonbane's Worldbuilding Questions
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2016, 11:20:19 AM »
The simplest answer is: gods.
Always messing with humans and maybe they look like the Egyptian gods and wanted their worshippers to look the same.
"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Offline Nora

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2016, 12:27:17 PM »
The simplest answer is: gods.
Always messing with humans and maybe they look like the Egyptian gods and wanted their worshippers to look the same.

Yeah but what the heck would you need to do to be turned into the first homoctopi, or homorat?? Pee in some god's mead?

Getting past the well known biological limitations of humans would be a valid reason for writing humanoid animals or a humanoid fantasy race.

Right, likewise, I wonder who had the first idea of "going beyond humankind" by merging with rats, when that sort of level of technology seems better used going full on ghost in the shell!

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2016, 12:34:26 PM »
You could go Frankenstein, mix stuff up, a good bolt of lightning and zazoom. It's alive! It is a triumph of man over god! Muhahahaha...  :D