July 11, 2020, 08:34:57 AM

Author Topic: didactic  (Read 171 times)

Offline hexa

didactic
« on: June 24, 2020, 05:03:24 PM »
I want to write "the fortuneteller is didactic."  Is that appropriate?  Can a fortuneteller be didactic?

It is for a script about fringe religious groups.  The fortuneteller is like an Oracle at Delphi

Offline Skip

Re: didactic
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 05:29:19 PM »
Didactic means teaching, usually moralistic teaching. That's not how I picture the oracle at Delphi.

What actual characteristics does this fortuneteller have? Tell us more about her or him, and maybe we can be more constructive.

Also, if I were describing a person whose role was moralistic teaching, I'd say that person was a didact. Not that they were didactic.
Visit Altearth

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 05:32:39 PM »
So, “didactic” means...
intended to teach, particularly in having moral instruction as an ulterior motive.

I could imagine a fortune teller being didactic, if she was secretly trying to convince her clients of some moral actions they should take.  Essentially, not a story teller, but a fake one, parading moral instruction as a message from the spirit world.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline hexa

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 05:35:21 PM »
I am trying to say that the fortuneteller does not limit herself to cold predictions of the future, but also teaches religious ideas.

It would be like John of God.  The fortuneteller is named Duma, residing in the nation of Peru.

I am using the form didactic because the script writes it as an adjective.  Didact is a noun.

Offline Skip

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 05:38:37 PM »
Well, you can write it, but as it stands the sentence doesn't say much. It uses "was" instead of a more active verb. In general, I think most editors would suggest *showing* the fortuneteller doing more than just foretelling the future rather than trying to make a single word do the work.

But the sentence is valid.
Visit Altearth

Offline hexa

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 06:01:46 PM »
Thank you