November 20, 2019, 02:38:00 AM

Author Topic: Cutting the page.  (Read 1263 times)

Offline TBM

Cutting the page.
« on: August 16, 2016, 01:09:42 AM »
Has there ever been a book or comic or any published written work to anyone's knowlege where on publishing, there was a hole in the page? I want to cut away some of the page to show the character in a paradox, existing with no reality to exist in, but I'm thinking that would kill the economics of printing on publication.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Cutting the page.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 01:43:57 AM »
Interesting question. I suspect the answer is it could absolutely be done. I've been reading a very fancy hard cover novel with antiqued paper and other expensive bells and whistles.

Meanwhile, I thought it would interesting to search for your topic, and found to my delight an "Unseen University Cut Out" book, letting you build your own setting for Sir PTerry's novels with a put tab A in slot B set of pages.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 02:03:01 AM »
It's been forever and I don't remember what it was, or even what decade it was when I saw it, but I have seen a book with holes in some of the pages that cut out text like the marking of a highlighter pen might look. The paper was thicker than normal and it was hardcover, not full length, maybe a novella?

I wonder if you could achieve the same sense of shrinking/absent space with a blackout approach, the way de-classified documents often look?  That would, obviously, be about a zillion times easier and cheaper, but I don't understand your objective fully, so maybe that would not work.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline TBM

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2016, 02:17:11 AM »
I can't really use black, I'll explain why.

The protagonist aka the god of the elves has had enough. She escapes the universe in under a second causing it to warp and recoil into this newly formed supermassive black hole. Then she causes one paradox by escaping the eternal void, which is pure black, then is frozen for an infinitessimal period in a place of no reality. But then she escapes that paradox by moving so fast she violates causality and arrives before she sets out, and finally arrives in the realm of the dead. Where all the dead elves appear in an epic shot.

That's what I'm going for.   8)

Offline zmunkz

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2016, 04:58:38 AM »
That is a pretty cool idea, although it would translate poorly into ebook and audible.
"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do." --Isaac Asimov

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2016, 05:53:06 AM »
I have this old book Tiger Flower by Robert Vavra illustrated by Fleur Cowles (1968) which has two pages with a circle cut from them in the middle top. It is the old kind of binding where sheets folded in sets and sewn down the middle with thread and is very fragile now. I checked to see if the holes were on connected sheets but they are in separate sets altogether. It is only 25 pages long and is really an art/children's book so probably an expensive process.

Here are pages with circles cut, with the Tiger, then they each fold the other way showing tiny part of landscape scenes from opposite pages. 

There is also a children's book called At The Waterhole by Graeme Base where every page has a diminishing oval hole from start to finish as the water gets less

That is a pretty cool idea, although it would translate poorly into ebook and audible.

Audible could use some way out and weird sound effects to achieve the idea though :)

« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 09:25:55 AM by Lady_Ty »
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 08:32:48 AM »
Kids books - of which I am reading a looooot right now :) - do this sort of thing all the time. A hole in one page that lines up with the image on the next page, etc.

Those pages need greater care in the printing and assembling stages of the book, so it would certainly add expense to the production.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 02:20:39 PM »
the google term you're looking for is "die cutting".
http://graphicideals.com/business-cards/custom-paper-cutting-comparison-die-cut-vs-laser-cut-vs-router-cut/

we did it often for client works back at the ad agency.  and, you're right -- it's usually pretty expensive.