February 18, 2020, 12:09:22 AM

Author Topic: Characteristics of a renaissance-style fantasy setting?  (Read 3206 times)

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Characteristics of a renaissance-style fantasy setting?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 10:15:30 PM »
To make it "renaissance" you'd have to have the Arts in general be about "rediscovering" ancient culture. The italians rediscovered ancient romans for example, and studied their incredible sculptures and art, and from there made discoveries of their own, like the laws of perspective, and architectural advances that allowed huge domes to exist, like the cathedral of Firenze :

This is a building that could not have happened in the middle ages. It also meant that the roman pillars came back into fashion.

You can see their exaltation for perspective in the paintings :

It also means that from then on, a lot of painters (in all European countries) made paintings about themes outside of religion or battles, and instead covered classic moments of Greco-Roman mythology.

I saw that painting myself in Firenze. It's crazy, actually. The grass in painted green and has blades painted in gold paint, they shine. Same in the ladies hair. It gives the (pretty big) painting an amazing presence.

If you can have similar "rediscoveries" changing the arts, the agriculture and literary world, then you'll have achieved something typically renaissance, not just "whatever development level" was around during the renaissance.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline nfleischman5

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 02:19:19 AM »
I have an idea regarding one of the villains of a Renaissance-style fantasy. The best villain for such a fantasy would have to be a major religious figure. Back during the Renaissance, the Roman Catholic Church was notoriously corrupt. This was what triggered the Protestant Reformation. For a villain for a Renaissance-style fantasy, a religious leader would be a good villain for such a fantasy, and probably in league with a demonic force. This evil religious leader would be like the Pope of the Catholic Church. I know of one bad pope that could serve as a model for this villain. Pope Alexander VI was a corrupt pope and a member of the Borgia family who used the position to enrich himself. He could serve as a model for one of the bad guys in a Renaissance-style fantasy. At the same time, one of the heroes could be modeled on Martin Luther, the man who triggered the Protestant Reformation.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 12:49:39 AM by nfleischman5 »

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 03:54:55 AM »
My WIP features the discovery of lost knowledge, and I borrowed from the Renaissance in that, similar to the Arabs' lost knowledge, it wasn't fully accepted in some circles because it came from "bad guys" with whom there was a history of war. My intent is to borrow from the conflict in that situation - "ignore it, that's heresy" vs. "yeah, but it's like 500 years ahead of us!"
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline K.B. Adams

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2017, 07:49:07 PM »
It could become overwhelming (if you're already a very tired writer  ;)) to bounce around from the various renaissance time frames and locations (Italian Renaissance... General European Renaissance...) to get enough information that gives your story a coherent sense of place. As someone else suggested, good idea to choose a one time and location, then start collecting data for that. Here's a link that describes the overall beginnings and where the Ren. spread over time, to help you choose. Once there, if you click the link "European Map" it shows how and when the Renaissance spread from Italy into Europe.

http://www.st.cr.k12.ia.us/Renaissance/geography.htm