September 16, 2019, 01:46:12 PM

Author Topic: Can anyone recomend a creative writing course?  (Read 1866 times)

Offline ryanmcgowan

Can anyone recomend a creative writing course?
« on: October 13, 2016, 03:41:11 AM »
Lately I've been wanting to get back into writing.  Not just 'back into writing' but to actually make moves towards improving as a writer.  I'm based in the UK, but work offshore so can't regularly attend local college courses.  I've been considering Open University's creative writing courses but was wondering if anyone knew of or could recommend any others?

Appreciate any help or guidance.
It's the silence that scares me. It’s the blank page on which I can write my own fears.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone recomend a creative writing course?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 03:46:57 AM »
Might not quite be what you're looking for, but have you watched Brandon Sanderson's lectures? They've recorded his creative writing university class and posted them on youtube. They're awesome, seriously, especially because they focus on the practical side of writing. They've just finished uploading a newly-recorded version from this year, which is much better quality than the previous versions!
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 08:43:06 AM »
Write about Dragons is great, for sure. I didn't know they'd recorded them again.

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 12:57:03 PM »
I did the Open University's diploma in creative writing. I absolutely loved it. It's one level 2 and one level 3 course, so gets pretty in depth and covers the gamut of writing - fiction, poetry, radio and screenplay.

I would recommend it to absolutely anyone.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 02:30:19 PM »
My best writing class was a long time ago (8-10 years), but it wasn't at a university.

It was a virtual class mediated/hosted by a published author. I got a lot of practical experience and encouragement. It was essentially a structured writing group, and I got more than my money's worth. It was not accredited in any way, so it did not have anyone who was merely checking blocks in their degree programs, whom I have sometimes found to be in the way of those looking to get the very most out of a class.

I think it's important to have some idea of what it is you are looking to gain from a class: general understanding of dramatic structure, creative writing essentials, genre-specific explorations and comparisons, etc. In university settings my experiences were not bad, but were not satisfying, as I was making my way through a degree program, and not taking classes appropriate for my weaknesses and desires as an aspiring novelist.

My university did have a Tolkien class that studied him and his works that was amazing - the professor has extensive background in Old English and Medieval Literature, and that was - uniquely rewarding.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 02:36:32 PM by The_Gem_Cutter »
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline ryanmcgowan

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 11:37:54 PM »
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply!

I'm not necessarily looking for a course with accreditation.  I want to start building my toolbox and improving as a writer.  I've heard about Brandon Sandersons writing podcast and will make sure to check it out.

Thanks
It's the silence that scares me. It’s the blank page on which I can write my own fears.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 12:03:13 AM »
The podcast is decent but a little all over the place, sounds like the lectures would be perfect for you (they're two very different things). The lectures are from a course specifically aimed at building up a writer's toolbox for fantasy/sci-fi writers (he even uses the same metaphor), and it's got a lot of depth and insight. Here's the link to the youtube playlist so you can check it out!
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 12:28:13 AM »
The podcast is decent but a little all over the place, sounds like the lectures would be perfect for you (they're two very different things). The lectures are from a course specifically aimed at building up a writer's toolbox for fantasy/sci-fi writers (he even uses the same metaphor), and it's got a lot of depth and insight. Here's the link to the youtube playlist so you can check it out!

dammit, @Raptori.  i'd been putting off and putting off and putting off watching the recordings of his course.  but then, i was like, "oh, it's in a clean playlist" -- click.

i have two hours of time right now to work on my wip.  you've just destroyed it with your "here, this will make you a better writer" shenanigans.

grrrr...

p.s.  man, these videos are GOLD.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 12:30:35 AM »

dammit, @Raptori.  i'd been putting off and putting off and putting off watching the recordings of his course.  but then, i was like, "oh, it's in a clean playlist" -- click.

i have two hours of time right now to work on my wip.  you've just destroyed it with your "here, this will make you a better writer" shenanigans.

grrrr...

Enjoy!  ;D

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 01:18:42 AM »

dammit, @Raptori.

Even better the second time. And third, and fourth...

EDIT: There is something satisfying to click the link to the playlist and YouTube has "Watched" highliting each video.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 01:20:19 AM by night_wrtr »

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 12:41:27 PM »
@Gem_Cutter:  What was the course? Virtual with published author moderating. A particular online school? Or specific to the author?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2016, 01:59:12 PM »
I wish I could tell you - it was in the late nineties? It was when AOL was KING. I think it was based on the same interface as AOL. There wasn't even voice over internet - we had gerbils running on wheels and woodpeckers carving images into stone tablets.

The author was an unknown, minor-leagues, but successful in the pre-indie sense of "successful author". It cost around $200, which was pricey for the times, but there was no Fantasy-Faction and to interface with other wannabe writers was well worth the money. You had to go to a retreat to get that kind of comradery and encouragement.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 02:02:12 PM by Gem_Cutter »
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 06:19:54 AM »
It was a Writer's Digest University course, or perhaps a forerunner.

You can see their instructors here: http://resources.writersonlineworkshops.com/instructors/
The Gem Cutter