October 15, 2019, 12:25:16 PM

Author Topic: Calling All Maps!  (Read 22773 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Calling All Maps!
« on: August 23, 2015, 10:13:02 PM »

I think it might be fun to share maps we've created for our works-in-progress or just stuff we've imagined.

Here's mine for "The Starlit Lands."

Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Calling All Maps!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 11:00:41 PM »
Nice idea!  :P

We've got a whole world map with climate mapping and all that kind of stuff, and we've started to fill in the area we're focusing on early on.

Google Earth map (so we can measure distances accurately):

Normal Map (should probably add some more labels in... someday):
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 11:07:18 PM »
ooooh.  maps are fun.  i'll go next!

click to make them bigger!

for years, i ran a d&d campaign set in my world of traeth.  here're a couple maps from that.

the continent of traeth:

a little town plaza from one of the cities -- i think nasine:

and then, there's the map i made for a web-based rpg i started working on 10 or 12 years ago.  some of you may recognize it as the world my tales of rainn novel is set in.

here's the link to the game i made back then:
http://www.knightsandfights.com/

and, the map of the world:

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 11:16:52 PM »
Sure, I'll play. :)

This is sort of cheating, but this is the map I used for my first book (and its upcoming sequel) since I haven't really had to map out anything else I've done (locations and travel distances cease to be as important when you have rapid/fast travel). I actually had to refer to this map a number of times and caught a number of "errors" in my book (directions and/or travel time) due to knowing where stuff was. So, can't recommend a good map enough!

The fun thing is I'll get to add new locations with each book.

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 11:32:28 PM »
This is my working map of my current project.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1OUc_EqUyJraDM3cS1fSWRFYlE
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 11:36:15 PM »

Visually, it's really cool to look at. It reminds me of Tolkien's maps in style.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 12:58:28 AM by Jmack »
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 12:13:27 AM »
Loving this. I myself am a map whore, so of course I like drawing them. Can't contend with the big players up above, but I enjoy it.

Here's an outlined version of the Nations of the North:

Here's the more current version with better, bigger handwriting. Some of the cities are up for debate, especially the more Spanish and Italian ones now that I have a firmer grasp of the language (no "PH" in writing, ha!).

And this is an extended version of the entire continent of Por Voalis:

“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 12:56:20 AM »

Visually, it's really cool to look at. It reminds me of Tolkien's mao in style.
Thanks! I get a lot of comments about how Tolkienish it looks.

@Doctor Chill - Big players nothin! You've got talent, too. The middle one looks like a real map.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 01:31:58 AM »
So, Mappers:

How do you see your lands? As a character, an active part of the story? Or a place where things happen? Is there something special about geography itself? Those following my WIP work will know that my world has some extreme differences from our Earth; I'm only figuring out now all the ramifications of my basic decisions.

Spoiler for Hiden:
The Worldmount to the west is a mountain range that encirles an inverted bowl of geography. The "stars" are gems on the peaks of these mountains. Their light is the only light in the world. There is no sun or moon. Light, warmth, weather, tides, amd magic are all caused by the stars. Hence, the "Starlit Lands".

Taking Tolkien as one example, Middle Earth is one part of a fundamentally magical geography. Mordor is a fundamentally magical location, while most of the rest is geography as we know it - just with various human and non-human denizens.

I've only read The Heroes from Abercrombie, but my sense is that his world is a stage on which things happen, not a character in itself, really. (Though these distinctions are a bit of a blunt instrument.)

How do you see your lands?
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Doctor_Chill

• RPG Ringleader and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • You've been pugged.
    • View Profile
    • Acerbic Writing
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2015, 01:47:06 AM »
Interesting question. I'll use some big names as examples.

For instance, I see Westeros as more a stage than most worlds. It's very Low Fantasy, but even then, while some locales excite me (like King's Landing, Braavos, or the Wall), it doesn't create a strong sense of wonder places like Middle Earth or Narnia always do. Those locations ooze magic, whether tangible or abstract.

I guess you could add the question of: Is character (for a place) the same as atmosphere? And I'm not sure I have the answer right now.

I do however think that whichever camp you fall into for that specific instance, geography should tell a story, whether it is a wondrous one or a menial set piece.

For my map, The Crystal Wastes is a far-reaching plain shattered by who knows what. Only glass remains. It begs the question: How did it come this way? Other places like the Sunken Island or the Broken Continent should make you ask the same as above. How did it happen? What kind of power was used to "break" a continent, and in whose (or what's) hands did this power fall to?

I think a land devoid of light is already going to tickle the imagination over something like my Eurocentric one, so I wouldn't worry about coming off like Abercrombie. ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 01:49:05 AM by Doctor_Chill »
“It’s a dangerous thing, pretense. A man ought to know who he is, even if he isn’t proud to be it.” - Tomorrow the Killing, Daniel Polansky

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 02:09:17 AM »
Yes. I had Westeros as a counter to Tolkien in my mind, too.
And the comparison goes to another question as well (though not one explicitly about geography):

Is a particular fantasy driven by an external threat to which humans respond (Tolkien) or to internal human threats (Abercrombie - at least in the Heroes). ASOIAF has both threats, though the focus is mainly on human, with Winter as this long term background problem.

I find this very interesting. Take Copper Promise. The threat is external, but only because humans went in and stirred things up, releasing the threat from captivity. Very similar situation in A Crown for Cold Silver. The story is competely about humans, because again the external is released by humans. (At least, through book 1.) And to finish up, Eli Monpress is about how humans deal with an external threat. Back to Tolkien.

www.starlit-lands.com

Offline K.S. Crooks

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 02:27:35 AM »
Welcome to Galyndor!
http://www.kscrooks.com/galyndor-interactive-map
I'm in chapter 15 of the sequel, which takes place mostly to the west in the countries of Wurrunna and Sequoia.
K.S. Crooks- Author
www.kscrooks.com

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 02:33:12 AM »
For those using software, what are you using?
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 03:48:30 AM »
For those using software, what are you using?
i've used a bunch.  most of them are terrible.  campaign cartographer is pretty much the gold standard.  it's just expensive.

https://secure.profantasy.com/products/cc3.asp

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 04:47:47 AM »
I've heard of a lot of people using gimp because it's free.