November 15, 2019, 04:39:09 PM

Author Topic: British understatement  (Read 404 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 07:01:02 AM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Matthew

Re: British understatement
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 12:47:42 PM »
Being British I love this sort of humour and it is very much a part of who we are culturally. I've noticed a sad tendency towards crass American comedy in new stuff though.

Offline Rostum

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 12:56:57 AM »
Yes it is easy to get a little miffed with American Humor lacking as it is in U's charm and wit.

Offline Matthew

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 11:57:27 AM »
I don't think it helps that a lot of stuff is written to just keep plodding along towards syndication episode count and often written by huge teams of writers with little coherent voice. Most of the 'classic' British shows had short runs of only a few short seasons and were mostly written by individuals of partnerships.

If you like this sort of comedy though, I'd look into Heide Goody & Iain Grant. They're a prolific writing team with quite a few standalone novels and one main series, I think all available on Kindle Unlimited if anyone has that, but either way they're worth a read.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 09:37:26 PM »
British humour is not all that. Your average Brit is as sharp as a spoon and as cutting as those child scissors you find in a  nursery school.  It mainly rides on the coat tails of that sharp Suffolk wit.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline bdcharles

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 10:02:41 AM »
This Buzzfeed article tells you everything you need to know about how the British communicate.
Find me on twitter @jd_books