May 23, 2017, 02:13:52 AM

Author Topic: Book titles  (Read 548 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
Book titles
« on: March 08, 2017, 07:52:11 AM »
How do there get picked? I've looked up some titles to find books recommended here and some share the same titles with other books. I can't remember now but there was one book which shared the same title with five other books ,I don't think I would be happy if I wrote a book and it shared my title with another book and author.

Just looked up Queen of Blood because Lanko is reading it and three books with same title and another two with similar  title turned up
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 08:02:05 AM by Eclipse »
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
Re: Book titles
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 10:48:11 AM »
Can't be helped, there's so many possibilities I guess.

Much like names, slogans and ideas, titles are not protected by U.S. copyright laws (which is why so many books have the same titles). To qualify for copyright protection, a work needs to possess “a significant amount of original expression”—and while “a significant amount of original expression” isn’t fully defined by hard-and-fast rules, the courts have ruled that expressions as short as book titles do not qualify.

This doesn’t mean that you are free to title your next book Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, though. Some titles qualify for trademark protection (specifically, series titles like Chicken Soup for the Soul, Harry Potter, Encyclopedia Brown, etc.). The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office states that a trademark protects words, phrases, symbols or designs identifying the source of the goods or services of one party and distinguishing them from those of others. So once a book becomes successful enough to be considered a recognizable brand, it could be eligible for trademark protection.

http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/can-you-use-a-book-title-thats-been-used-before

"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Eclipse

• Threadomancer and Discoverer of Obscure and Ancient Threads
  • Ta'veren
  • Goats for ever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 11:14:42 AM »
Godblind is on it's own. It must be unique!
I'm Saloninus, by the way. And I tell lies, from time to time. Which goes to prove the old rule; never entirely trust a man who talks about himself in the third person.

Blue and Gold by K.J Parker

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 03:30:10 PM »
Yeah, this is also annoying when trying to add books to the TBR on goodreads.

Online The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 04:05:28 PM »
One upside, someone was talking about a book title on FB that I was interested in because the book involved a sorcerer's apprentice like mine. So I found it and bought it. Turns out, I bought the wrong one. But the far more obscure book I actually bought was part of a series that follows the protagonist up through the ranks, with each book titled for the rank "Apprentice", "Novice", etc. I'm glad I discovered that that had been done, so I didn't accidentally replicate.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Amaranth

• Coreling
  • The world's a stage and I've forgotton my lines.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 11:10:20 AM »
Yeah, this is also annoying when trying to add books to the TBR on goodreads.

Amen to that!
If less is more, just think about how much more more would be!

Offline K.S. Crooks

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 07:21:15 PM »
It creates incentive to have some type of unique quality to your title- your own land, unique character name, new species, etc. Using the same title could be used to make more people aware of the title or people find your book by accident. It would be prudent to make sure any books with the same or similar titles to what you want wouldn't bring with it negative connotation along.
K.S. Crooks- Author
www.kscrooks.com

Offline Mike Brooks

• Shadow Op
  • Scifi. Fantasy. Related shenanigans.
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 01:01:52 PM »
I think the publisher can normally have some sort of say. My second book was titled 'Dark Sky' instead of 'Dark Skies', not because of the 90s scifi series that I dimly remember, but because there was apparently a scifi horror of that name that came out in about 2013.

Which isn't to say my publisher said "It's called Dark Sky, that's it," they said they didn't want to call it Dark Skies, so I came up with the replacement title that they were happy to run with.
I'm an angel. I kill firstborns while their mamas watch. I turn cities into salt. I even, when I feel like it, rip the souls from little girls, and from now till kingdom come, the only thing you can count on, in your existence, is never understanding why.

http://mikebrooks.co.uk

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2017, 02:54:15 PM »
Mike Brooks has the right of it. It's an agreement between the publisher and the author, skewed in the publisher's favour since it's their money and them doing the marketing.
Welcome, Watchers of illusion, to the castle of confusion.
Spellcasting: W.I.N.E
http://cameronjohnston.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline B.A.Fleming

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 10:16:06 AM »
I've actually tried to avoid the standard book names, so dragons in my book, no dragons in the title; magic in my book, no magic in the title; quest in my book, no quest in the title. I'd prefer a new land, new title, without ambiguous connotations.

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 08:14:30 AM »

Unless of course you google it and discover it's part of a Christian curse - God blind me.

Nice.
The Red Gods wax and the Light wanes. Blood rises. Find the herald, staunch the flow.

Godblind published June 2017 by Harper Voyager UK

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen In Her Own Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 10:10:37 AM »

Unless of course you google it and discover it's part of a Christian curse - God blind me.

Nice.

Cor blimey!
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Khaleesi
  • Dragon Queen In Her Own Right
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 12:20:01 AM »
This book title deserves a little publicity for length and novelty. It dragged me in and was quite a funny book.

Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse by Paul Carter
I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Tags: