February 17, 2020, 09:20:36 AM

Author Topic: Book idea?  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Phoenix

Book idea?
« on: January 23, 2017, 02:03:02 AM »
So if you read just the following summary would you be intrigued enough to want to read it?
 Battlescars summary: 7 years ago Ryker watched The Inquisition kill his mother, helpless to do anything, she was slaughtered in front of him. Now a slave of the Leonin Legion he is forced to fight for the entertainment and amusement of the citizens of Bellum, in a hellhole called 'The Pit'. Is it fate for Ryker to die as a slave or will he finally escape and get the revenge he deeply wants and avenge his mother’s death?
"My death shall spark a war, and from the ashes of the battlefield I shall be reborn"

Offline cupiscent

Re: Book idea?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 02:36:15 AM »
To be quite honest, my first thought is: "Oh dear, another woman fridged for a male character's motivation." (Given everything else oppressing Ryker - slavery, imprisonment, bloodsports - is his mother's death really the only motivation he has? Why was she killed anyway? Was she important? A rebel? The rebel?)

As it is, no, I probably wouldn't read. It seems to be a story similar to dozens of others: hard man with scarred heart sticks it to the Man. Which isn't a no-go all by itself. I liked many versions of that story. But what's new and interesting about this version?

MASTODON

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 05:22:20 PM »
 8)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:18:45 PM by MASTODON »

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 05:38:16 PM »
Have fun and write, write, write! :)

Don't worry yourself too much over saying such things (as your post) to Phoenix. If he'd gotten a penny for each time we all told him to write, he'd have won the latest USA presidency.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Dan D Jones

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 02:58:49 AM »
Whether I'd read it would depend on a great many things, but the only time you should be asking that question is if you're trying to tighten up your elevator pitch for something you're already written.  If you're asking if that story you described is worth writing, then you're in the northbound lane headed south.

There are no killer ideas.  You are never going to have some epiphany where you think of the perfect story and that's going to set you on the path to writing success, regardless of how you chose to define what writing success means.

What determines success is execution, not concept.  If you have a plot and a set of characters that excite you, then put their story down into words.  Whether it will be successful is unknown but at the very least you'll learn and improve from the process. 

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 02:36:32 PM »

Don't worry yourself too much over saying such things (as your post) to Phoenix. If he'd gotten a penny for each time we all told him to write, he'd have won the latest USA presidency.
This is precisely why i dont write.
"My death shall spark a war, and from the ashes of the battlefield I shall be reborn"

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 04:22:51 PM »

This is precisely why i dont write.

Why? Afraid of getting too rich and be given too much power? Or because we spent so many posts heartily encouraging you to write, write, write, just show us any concrete work rather than ideas that often aren't catchy, but could be pulled off if well written?
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2017, 10:32:27 AM »
Does writing that story excite you?

Then write it.

Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I read once that there are only a dozen different stories in existence, and every novel is a version of one or more of them. Revenge, romance, triumph, overcoming odds etc.

When you deconstruct them, every story has a familiar theme at its core. Because there are no new stories, there is just telling them in new ways.

So if scarred slave fighting for survival and vengeance blows your hair back, then that's what you write. It's supposed to be fun, after all.

Anna

Offline K.S. Crooks

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 01:24:56 AM »
Does writing that story excite you?

Then write it.

Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I read once that there are only a dozen different stories in existence, and every novel is a version of one or more of them. Revenge, romance, triumph, overcoming odds etc.

When you deconstruct them, every story has a familiar theme at its core. Because there are no new stories, there is just telling them in new ways.

So if scarred slave fighting for survival and vengeance blows your hair back, then that's what you write. It's supposed to be fun, after all.

Anna
Totally agree. Your blurb is basically the movie Gladiator...but, that's okay. You set it on a different planet and have aliens. Star Wars is simply a martial arts movie, except they travel though space and the samurai use laser swords instead of steel. Write for yourself. If others like the story too it's a bonus.
K.S. Crooks- Author
www.kscrooks.com