July 14, 2020, 04:21:17 AM

Author Topic: Blogging as a writer  (Read 3533 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Blogging as a writer
« on: September 09, 2016, 08:55:25 PM »
I've been extremely productive, thankyouverymuch.  >:(

Spoiler for Hiden:

...plus a customised page in our (wip) website for each story which works on all screen sizes (i.e. looks nice on mobile, tablet, desktop, etc). Example:

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 01:38:37 PM by Arry »
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Re: Avoiding writing, or: How many words didn't you write today?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 09:10:33 PM »
Wow!!!
Are those your stories from the monthly contests?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 09:31:16 PM »
...plus a customised page in our (wip) website for each story which works on all screen sizes (i.e. looks nice on mobile, tablet, desktop, etc). Example:

um . . . link?!?!

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 09:49:57 PM »
Wow!!!
Are those your stories from the monthly contests?
Yep!

um . . . link?!?!

Building it locally at the moment (yes those are screenshots rather than mockups), so no link. Dunno when we'll get around to making it live - got a ton of stuff that needs to be done on it first, not least writing some content!  :P
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Peat

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 11:20:49 PM »
They look wonderful  :D
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 11:48:13 PM »

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 12:56:40 AM »
@Raptori, congratulations they certainly do look wonderful, look forward to when they are finished and ready to share.  I was re reading some of the older contests, lately and read Sorry, Kid! yesterday. It was a favourite of mine then and still. Good to have you around here more often as well. ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 01:30:44 AM »
@Raptori, congratulations they certainly do look wonderful, look forward to when they are finished and ready to share.  I was re reading some of the older contests, lately and read Sorry, Kid! yesterday. It was a favourite of mine then and still. Good to have you around here more often as well. ;D
Haha thanks - great to hear!  ;D

That one was such a pain to find an image for, really hard when you have a really clear idea. Think the one we found in the end is decent enough though!  :)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2016, 01:19:36 PM »
Very cool, @Raptori.

I certainly am not going to design a website/app, but I've always thought an ebook of my contest stories (properly edited with benefits of hindsight and much beta help) would be a cool thing to do.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2016, 01:24:37 PM »
I certainly am not going to design a website/app, but I've always thought an ebook of my contest stories (properly edited with benefits of hindsight and much beta help) would be a cool thing to do.
Yeah it'd definitely be cool. I'm 50/50 on whether editing is a good idea or not though - part of the appeal of having them all in one place is that it'd be a great way to see how you've grown over time. It's great to see the multiple drafts of one of Brandon Sanderson's books available on his site for example, so the short stories could kinda cater to the same curiosity, if that makes sense! On the other hand, when reading them back now there's just so damn much that needs to be fixed...  ;D

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 05:09:23 PM »
Yeah it'd definitely be cool. I'm 50/50 on whether editing is a good idea or not though - part of the appeal of having them all in one place is that it'd be a great way to see how you've grown over time. It's great to see the multiple drafts of one of Brandon Sanderson's books available on his site for example, so the short stories could kinda cater to the same curiosity, if that makes sense! On the other hand, when reading them back now there's just so damn much that needs to be fixed...  ;D

I really like the idea, especially not editing. I agree that it would be great to see the continued progression. Maybe you could even write a blog entry or just a paragraph about each story regarding how it was written, or methods you tried, or elements that you played with. Could be a valuable section for anyone.

Now I need a website.  ;D

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 05:52:01 PM »

I really like the idea, especially not editing. I agree that it would be great to see the continued progression. Maybe you could even write a blog entry or just a paragraph about each story regarding how it was written, or methods you tried, or elements that you played with. Could be a valuable section for anyone.

Now I need a website.  ;D
That's what the little "i" icon in the bottom right is for - you click it, and up pops a little box with a little info about the story like this:

Great minds think alike I guess? ;D

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 06:24:24 PM »
You two are brilliant!

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 06:41:09 PM »
 ;D :-[

Now we just need to work out what kind of stuff we could actually write about regularly which would actually interest people...  :-\

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 07:11:40 PM »
you guys make me want to add a mobile-friendly stylesheet to my site.  the underlying html is fairly clean, so it wouldn't be too tricky.

oh, and you know, as king of the ebook-generation, i've got an anthology that i regenerate each month when i write a new fantasy faction story.  with a fancy cover, front matter, and everything.  speaking of, i need to rebuild it and add my new pirate story!

also, i edited about 1200 words today!

i decided i needed to do some editing where i left off on the last chapter of my wip that i've picked up after 10 months.  figured it'd help knock some of the rust off.  but, boy-o-boy has my writing improved after all that time.  i'm reading the last scene i'd written and, while there are a few nice things, the technical aspects of much of it are pretty painful.

it's no wonder this "writing your first novel" thing is so hard.  you're learning so freakin' much so fast that the stuff in the beginning of your rough draft is so terrible, you can't even get to the end of the book before trunking the start.  it's all i can do to not start over and just keep pressing on.