July 23, 2019, 08:22:47 AM

Author Topic: Avoiding writing, or: How many words didn't you write today?  (Read 79846 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Avoiding writing, or: How many words didn't you write today?
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 11:49:42 AM »
Finding new lows : spent the day writing - articles, mails.. But I. The end decided to dump an entirely finished chapter from my work and do some massive reshaping.
So I officially canceled out my days writing and worse, went into negative on the actual work writing.
Gloom gloom!!
That is exquisitely and painfully appropriate for this thread (even if not exactly avoidance). ;D ;D ;D
Sorry to hear.

I put aside my "second world"work in progress (tired of "world building) and spun up a new outline for an old idea. Still not writing (but not exactly avoiding  :-[ )
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 11:57:13 AM »
Must feel horrible to have to do that.  :-\ Exactly why I'm in favour of extensive outlining.

I've been doing the best kind of not-writing: reading! Finished Promise of Blood this morning, and I'm already something like 70% through The Crimson Campaign.
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 10:16:05 PM »
Finding new lows : spent the day writing - articles, mails.. But I. The end decided to dump an entirely finished chapter from my work and do some massive reshaping.
So I officially canceled out my days writing and worse, went into negative on the actual work writing.
Gloom gloom!!
I read a post by Abercrombie on his blog once which spoke about words written as opposed to how many of those words actually make it into the finished project.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 12:48:45 AM »
No actually I'm really glad I did.

It's entirely @Elfy 's fault anyway!! Which is also why I'm glad I posted my chapters in the critiqued area. Would have wished for more reviews but in the end Elfy's one gave me a wake up kick in the derriere.

I wish to write something light and fast paced against a dark-grim background and spinning around pretty serious ideas. And the chapter I trashed was a lengthy presentation of the main character during a communal funeral pyre on the beach. Too heavy, too dark and setting a slow pace.
Besides, though I appreciate the references Elfy got me, I realised how inappropriate Melbourne would be for me. I've spent enough months there to realise fully that I wouldn't get away with what I wanted without massively rebuilding the town.
So I gave up entirely and decided to set up North-East of Melbourne with a new super-city, entirely created to host some of the millions of refugees that flooded Aussie. International influence and the need to create nuclear resistant housings will let me shape my new town just like I fancy. Really can't complain. It also gave me an all fresh idea for the opening of my work, so I'm pretty excited.  8)
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Anna Smith-Spark

• Tribute
  • We live. We die. For these things, we are grateful
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2015, 08:05:33 PM »
I wrote maybe five hundred words today (on the train!). Hard to write at six thirty am when the person in front of you is watching Poldark on a tablet. More than hard, in fact.

I did, however, repeatedly facebook the fact  that my unpublished novel was described as a masterpiece on reddit yesterday. That took up quite a bit of my day.
Night comes. We survive.

The Court of Broken Knives

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 02:01:54 PM »
Done a bit of work today - simultaneously working on the outline at chapter, scene, and sub-scene level. However I keep getting distracted, reloading the FF unread posts page/reading new posts, reading another forum I'm on, and researching a few things. I'm even considering finally get around to replying to Justan's monolithic posts in the Scene & Chapter length thread. Even worse, I'm very tempted to stop and play a game for a bit...  ???
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 02:36:33 PM »
Done a bit of work today - simultaneously working on the outline at chapter, scene, and sub-scene level. However I keep getting distracted, reloading the FF unread posts page/reading new posts, and researching a few things. I'm even considering finally get around to replying to Justan's monolithic posts in the Scene & Chapter length thread. Even worse, I'm very tempted to stop and play a game for a bit...  ???
All of that ^

But NOT THIS!
reading another forum I'm on
;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 02:45:24 PM »
I wrote about 800 words last night, then deleted them all in fit of rage.

Went back to reread a previous chapter, deleted more words from there too.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 03:01:20 PM »
Done a bit of work today - simultaneously working on the outline at chapter, scene, and sub-scene level. However I keep getting distracted, reloading the FF unread posts page/reading new posts, and researching a few things. I'm even considering finally get around to replying to Justan's monolithic posts in the Scene & Chapter length thread. Even worse, I'm very tempted to stop and play a game for a bit...  ???
All of that ^

But NOT THIS!
;D
Lol I actually have somewhere between three and four times as many posts on the other forum...  :o

I wrote about 800 words last night, then deleted them all in fit of rage.

Went back to reread a previous chapter, deleted more words from there too.
Ouch, that sounds painful! :(

Online Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 03:06:38 PM »
For all those in this thread (including me)

GET BACK TO WRITING YOU LAZY HOBBITS!
Now where did I leave my pipeweed...  ;)

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2015, 03:13:17 PM »
For all those in this thread (including me)

GET BACK TO WRITING YOU LAZY HOBBITS!
Now where did I leave my pipeweed...  ;)
Hmm, get back to writing you say?

/considers the suggestion

Nah. I'm gonna go read.  :D

(my partner's ill, so I'm gonna take a break and hopefully help make her feel a bit better)

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2015, 03:46:47 PM »
It's been about two years since I last wrote my story. Okay okay, I have been rebuilding the world and getting ready for a re-write, so I have written some things relating to the story. But do I still get some sort of prize for writing avoidance?  :)

All of that ^

But NOT THIS!
;D
Lol I actually have somewhere between three and four times as many posts on the other forum...  :o
Even more posts than here!?!? Please teach me that time-stop spell of yours, Raptori. Maybe then I could solve my time management problems.  :P

(my partner's ill, so I'm gonna take a break and hopefully help make her feel a bit better)
One Get Well Soon wish for your partner.
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 05:26:10 PM »
Ouch, that sounds painful! :(

The wounds ran deep.

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2015, 06:24:46 PM »
It's been about two years since I last wrote my story. Okay okay, I have been rebuilding the world and getting ready for a re-write, so I have written some things relating to the story. But do I still get some sort of prize for writing avoidance?  :)
It's possible, though I think worldbuilding might count, since it's still working on the story...  :P

All of that ^

But NOT THIS!
;D
Even more posts than here!?!? Please teach me that time-stop spell of yours, Raptori. Maybe then I could solve my time management problems.  :P
Yeah, though there are a lot of people on there with many more posts than me. The person with the highest number of posts has been there since 2006, and has 74,063 in total... so over 8,200 per year. There's another guy a few places below him with over 50,000 posts in 6 years, so almost 9,000 per year. I've been there about six months, so my post rate there is just under 3,000 per year.

Moral of the story: Raptori's time-stop spell is second rate!  :(

One Get Well Soon wish for your partner.
Thanks!  ;D

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2015, 08:00:35 PM »
Well it's obvious then that people here put quality over quantity..... ;D
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate