August 25, 2019, 01:46:04 AM

Author Topic: Avoiding writing, or: How many words didn't you write today?  (Read 82195 times)

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Avoiding writing, or: How many words didn't you write today?
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2015, 06:43:57 PM »
It's funny how easy it is to procrastinate and avoid writing, even though once you're writing it's incredibly fun. Makes me wonder what is wrong with my brain.  :o
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Online Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2015, 01:27:28 AM »
I think to a certain extent it's fear. It is with me sometimes. I sit down and think about writing and there's this little voice in my head saying: 'what if it's crap?' 'what if the words just don't come?' 'go on check out Fantasy Faction. You can write tomorrow.'

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2015, 12:51:07 PM »
Haven't written anything since I finished my short story, feel demotivated to work on my bigger story, have no other main idea to dig and yet my hand seems to itch.
Bouh!  :-[
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Online Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2015, 02:41:59 AM »
I'm doing it every chance I get at present. I just have this massive lack of confidence in everything.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2015, 02:54:08 AM »
I'm doing it every chance I get at present. I just have this massive lack of confidence in everything.
Yeah, I get that now and again as well. It's the main reason I've spent the last week or so repeatedly trying to polish the first chapter of my book, rather than working on getting the rest done. It isn't working. Every time I read it, I get this niggling feeling something's badly wrong with it. Largely with the opening prose. I'm half tempted to post in the critique thread just to see whether I'm just being paranoid or it really is terrible.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Online Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2015, 04:02:24 AM »
Yeah, I get that now and again as well. It's the main reason I've spent the last week or so repeatedly trying to polish the first chapter of my book, rather than working on getting the rest done. It isn't working. Every time I read it, I get this niggling feeling something's badly wrong with it. Largely with the opening prose. I'm half tempted to post in the critique thread just to see whether I'm just being paranoid or it really is terrible.
I know that feeling. My advice would be to post it and see if your fears are confirmed. I doubt that they will be. A lot of it is about conquering the fear and not letting it rule you.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 24, 2015, 11:56:50 AM »
I've spent hours today and yesterday researching sailing instead of writing, specifically the merchant sailing ships like the east indiamen and china clippers, since they're key to the culture we're focusing on in our book. Still find it mind-boggling that sail ships can sail against the wind, even though I get the physics of it.  :o
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline silvijanus

« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2015, 03:19:58 PM »
It's funny how easy it is to procrastinate and avoid writing, even though once you're writing it's incredibly fun. Makes me wonder what is wrong with my brain.  :o
That! It makes two of us if it's easier to you... :D

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2015, 03:27:11 PM »
Last night, my wife was on a spelling bee team for the local literacy council fundraiser. (They won for the first time. Yay!)

Got back home about 8:00 PM (thank God you EU types haven't switched time to the metric system  :P ).

Thought I might write; I have an idea I'm stewing on. But instead I watched hockey (which means look up at the TV for the replay when someone scores), played Words With Friends, checked the forum and read the first installment of KJParker's Two of Swords.

No writing.

Though I did invent a bit of doggerel on the way into work this morning:

The warning bell is tolling; there's a storm upon the sea.
The devil's tide is rolling for the souls of you and me.
So take a draught of courage and cast aside your fear,
For when it comes to oceans, lads, I rather drown in beer.

I quite like that.  8)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2015, 03:52:16 PM »
Last night, my wife was on a spelling bee team for the local literacy council fundraiser. (They won for the first time. Yay!)

Got back home about 8:00 PM (thank God you EU types haven't switched time to the metric system  :P ).
You mean 20:00?  ;)

Congratulations to your wife!

No writing.

Though I did invent a bit of doggerel on the way into work this morning:

The warning bell is tolling; there's a storm upon the sea.
The devil's tide is rolling for the souls of you and me.
So take a draught of courage and cast aside your fear,
For when it comes to oceans, lads, I rather drown in beer.

I quite like that.  8)
That's great! Not the no writing part but the writing part.  :)

I wrote a little bit of my Plot twist contest entry yesterday, but I still don't have a good plot for it (let alone twists). And I've been meaning to write something here on the forum the whole week, but the "You don't have anything relevant/important to say!" -part of my brain has thwarted every attempt.  :(
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Henry Dale

• The Unsummonable and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Gentleman Bastard
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2015, 04:25:44 PM »
I've been writing about rocks, minerals and whatnot... no actual story or plot about it but I suppose it's worldbuilding. I should get to editing what I have instead u.u

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2015, 04:53:59 PM »
I've been writing about rocks, minerals and whatnot... no actual story or plot about it but I suppose it's worldbuilding. I should get to editing what I have instead u.u
Excessive worldbuilding = avoiding writing  ;) ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline silvijanus

« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2015, 07:39:57 PM »
Absolutely true. I've seen people who can talk about writing for hours, days, months... learning details about how crossbow works for example etc. but on the end of the day they don't write. What's happening, why someone who wants to write avoids writing all the time? 

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2015, 07:59:35 PM »
Absolutely true. I've seen people who can talk about writing for hours, days, months... learning details about how crossbow works for example etc. but on the end of the day they don't write. What's happening, why someone who wants to write avoids writing all the time?
I actually think it's two different (though related) skills, and either hobby or both is perfectly OK. Though I do think a certain insight into one's own choices is useful.

You may love to imagine new worlds and spend hours research, detailing, etc. If you never write, you should recognize this is so, and use your world for games or art or... whatever floats your boat.  ;D  Meanwhile, you may be a writer who find worldbuilding too detailed and dull. You should stay away from stories that seem shallow without a deep rich world.

And then there are those lucky few who enjoy and are good at both.

There's a million reasons there are so few really good Fantasy writers.  ;)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline silvijanus

« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2015, 08:25:13 PM »
No, no... people I'm thinking about want to write stories, not rpg backgrounds. Of course it's a good thing to know how to build a fort, how crossbows or sails work to make details realistic. I'm really interested in this conflict - avoiding writing. Why do we avoid writing if we want to write? I can understand few reasons: someone might just be too lazy, self doubt, lack of gripping story to tell... or if you are G. Martin I can understand that you have everything: respect of writers and readers, money and fame... so why finish the series, it's becoming a chore.

I read one good line, it goes something like: "good writer is 3% talent, 97% not being distracted by the internet." Maybe this is the reason. Raptori said: when I start writing it's incredibly fun. Even though we still tend to avoid writing. Really funny actually :D