December 10, 2019, 03:16:03 AM

Author Topic: Avoiding writing, or: How many words didn't you write today?  (Read 92164 times)

Offline Peat

Re: Avoiding writing, or: How many words didn't you write today?
« Reply #420 on: September 09, 2019, 02:52:51 AM »
Alright, folks. Requesting a little moral support here to get my butt in gear and do some quality writing.
Threats and suggestions are all welcome.

Biggest problem right now? It’s sooooooop beautiful out here on the back deck under another day of gorgeous blue skies. And there’s a bottle of hard ginger-apple cider in the fridge...

All this will go away if you don't write at least 5 pages per day for the next few days  ::)

And all of you will disappear like black dust from snapping fingers...
Oh my  :(

Not before I drinks your cider I won't. Do tha writing or I'll have your cider. I'll come all the way from overseas to steal it, so I will.

Besides, can't you write out back with the cider?

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #421 on: September 09, 2019, 05:53:00 AM »
Alright, folks. Requesting a little moral support here to get my butt in gear and do some quality writing.
Threats and suggestions are all welcome.

Biggest problem right now? It’s sooooooop beautiful out here on the back deck under another day of gorgeous blue skies. And there’s a bottle of hard ginger-apple cider in the fridge...

All this will go away if you don't write at least 5 pages per day for the next few days  ::)

And all of you will disappear like black dust from snapping fingers...
Oh my  :(

Oh well, you could give yourself some break... hells that's not what I'm supposed to be saying, is it? 

Maybe you could think of it like taking a dump. If it's gonna have to come out, it's gonna have to come out, sooner or later. Might just as well do it now.  ;)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #422 on: September 09, 2019, 02:49:33 PM »
Besides, can't you write out back with the cider?
Great minds and all that - this was also my reaction when I read the first post ;D
And I'll add: use it as inspiration! Can you include the landscape and those feelings into the story?
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #423 on: September 26, 2019, 11:03:17 AM »
I kind of lost the inspiration to write somehow, and have been struggling to write this entire week. Not sure if I didn't like my current story enough or if I'd just kind of give up on writing.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #424 on: September 30, 2019, 04:51:00 PM »
After a good start, second week in a row with nothing written, and I did stare a lot at the blank page. Sadly, it stared back too much and it blanked my mind.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #425 on: October 01, 2019, 09:09:46 AM »
Haha my problem is the opposite of a blank page. I've got lots on my mind... Like a long list of scenes to add... Then o think up 100 extra versions. Then I get overwhelmed by how far my brain is ahead of my fingers (while waffling agonizingly over every choice and every possible avenue) and I get overwhelmed and don't write.

This month I added like 5-7000 words of new scenes throughout my WIP. But today I was busy cutting and pasting pieces of a proposal into forms and spending hours on budget spreadsheets... Which I guess is technically writing but not the fun kind

Offline MrNybble

« Reply #426 on: November 04, 2019, 03:53:06 AM »
I haven't written a new thing in a couple months. Nearing my million word mark so I started editing some of my stuff. Got things a couple years old that I have not looked at from the time they got created. At least the editing has lengthened current chapters and added a few more between others. So you can say I have been writing by filling out while editing.

Offline Alex Hormann

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Valheru
  • Bookworm first, human second.
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 05, 2019, 05:12:05 PM »
I've spent the past two days typing batches of a hundred-odd words then deleting the lot. Good to get the unworkable ideas out of my system, but that's about all. I've currently got a folder full of potential plots and characters but nothing's really grabbing me.

So yeah, NanNoWriMo is off to a great start.
Blog: https://atboundarysedge.com

Twitter: @HormannAlex