August 05, 2020, 05:37:03 PM

Author Topic: Anyone Recommend a good ARC printer?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
Anyone Recommend a good ARC printer?
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:45:30 PM »
Can any of the indie authors on the forum recommend a good venue for printing physical ARCs (advance reader copies) of a book? I've heard good things about Smashwords and a few other sites doing one-off print runs for reasonable prices, but I've never used them.

I'd like to print some physical ARCs of my next book (out in February) for people doing book quotes, but without making the book available to the general public. Kinko's won't cut it (and they're also super expensive). Amazon Createspace typically won't let you print books until you've made your book available for purchase (they do let you print a single proof, but those aren't workable) so I'm looking at other options.

Any thoughts?

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Anyone Recommend a good ARC printer?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 04:06:18 PM »
I'm at work so can't check, but @Eli_Freysson printed his first 2 books to send to me via this company that I can't remember the name now...

Let's see if he can reply, or I'll do it when I get home.

With them, just make sure you say you want page numbers and the name of the book/author on the spine - these two things were missing in my copies.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 05:40:06 PM »
I'm at work so can't check, but @Eli_Freysson printed his first 2 books to send to me via this company that I can't remember the name now...

With them, just make sure you say you want page numbers and the name of the book/author on the spine - these two things were missing in my copies.

Createspace.com
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 08:20:23 PM »

Createspace.com

Yup, Createspace is what I use for my paperbacks, however, I don't believe they will just print books. Your book has to be for sale on Amazon before they print it. I suppose I could put the book on sale for 1 day, order some copies, then take it off sale again, but I'd prefer to avoid that if there's a better option.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 11:31:43 PM »
I am totally not au fait with the field, so I'm asking out of genuine curiosity: is there a reason you can't just do e-ARCs? I know that a lot of the book reviewers I see on GR get their books from NetGalley, and that would seem to be a really cost-effective way for an Indie to go about it.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 12:27:24 AM »
I am totally not au fait with the field, so I'm asking out of genuine curiosity: is there a reason you can't just do e-ARCs? I know that a lot of the book reviewers I see on GR get their books from NetGalley, and that would seem to be a really cost-effective way for an Indie to go about it.

One of the authors who has volunteered to book blurb me actually only reads in print! As for the others, they'd read e-books, but I figure if I'm doing one, why not do more? Also, I figure getting a paperback is a nice gesture.

Offline FitBoy01

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 06:13:36 PM »
This depends on how many you print and what kind you do. How many pages a month or a week? White and black, how more colour? You print documents, graphics and mixed documents and photos?

Would you need double-sided printing?

The need for someone to print a few hundred pages of b&w documents each month differs from someone who routinely prints vibrant presentations. The advice also changes if you choose to print amazing images. There are several different ideas, that is why you should see them.
My Life My Style

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2020, 08:49:59 AM »
I've only ever used Lulu but they were pretty good.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline FitBoy01

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2020, 01:50:28 PM »
Do you need one with a scanner? If not, a printer only laser printer at top vinyl cutters can be a good choice. But if you really need color, you may need a higher budget for a color printer. Inkjet usually prints photos better than laser, but also cartridges may be expensive especially if you print most black and white.

For laser printers I would recommend Brother
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 12:04:01 PM by FitBoy01 »
My Life My Style