September 18, 2019, 06:20:54 AM

Author Topic: Ancient and medieval fighting and weapons  (Read 13274 times)

Offline silvijanus

Re: Ancient and medieval fighting and weapons
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 06:45:31 PM »
Interesting topic. I wont add anything about weapons (later I might write a few lines about archery, although I know basic stuff, but learned them from a real master), just want to remind you on something: more writing, less exploring and world building. :D

Offline Rostum

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 07:18:38 PM »
Interesting topic. I wont add anything about weapons (later I might write a few lines about archery, although I know basic stuff, but learned them from a real master), just want to remind you on something: more writing, less exploring and world building. :D

Please do post regarding plinking arrows. I wish I could write. Sadly I have a head full of ideas some knowledge and the ability to produce a training manual if I try and write fiction.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 07:22:45 PM »

Please do post regarding plinking arrows. I wish I could write. Sadly I have a head full of ideas some knowledge and the ability to produce a training manual if I try and write fiction.
May just have to use you as live resource manual.   ;) Sparingly ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Rostum

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2015, 07:36:54 PM »
May just have to use you as live resource manual.   ;) Sparingly ;D

Please do.

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2015, 10:41:09 PM »
Excellent thread!

There is a video on YouTube with Lars Anderson showing off his archery techniques. Does anyone know how accurate this portrayal of archery is? He makes some interesting points with how the weapon is fired compared to modern bows.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2015, 10:43:08 PM »
Excellent thread!

There is a video on YouTube with Lars Anderson showing off his archery techniques. Does anyone know how accurate this portrayal of archery is? He makes some interesting points with how the weapon is fired compared to modern bows.
There's a full thread on it, including someone's critique.
I don;t know how to link threads here. If you search the forum for "Lars Anderson" I'm sure it will pop up.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2015, 10:56:46 PM »
Excellent thread!

I don;t know how to link threads here. If you search the forum for "Lars Anderson" I'm sure it will pop up.

Hi night_wrtr here is the thread,  there was a good long discussion  http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/general-discussion/genuine-real-archery/
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline night_wrtr

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2015, 10:58:32 PM »
Thanks!

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2015, 11:06:47 PM »
Excellent thread!

Hi night_wrtr here is the thread,  there was a good long discussion  http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/general-discussion/genuine-real-archery/
@Lady Ty, how do I get the exact http for a thread link?
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Skip

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2015, 11:48:41 PM »
Just a direct thanks to Yora for giving me the clue for understanding the etymology of Messerschmidt!

Well, and for the sword stuff too.  :D
Visit Altearth

Offline Saraband

• Haggis eater, fantasy scribbler and a Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Geeky Reading (and Writing) Introvert
    • View Profile
    • BrawBlether
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 12:47:00 AM »
Great topic, and wow at @Yora's lengthy post, really informative!

I have little to contribute in regards to this question. I know of a particular mistake that is done in videogames and movies with fight scenes using swords, and that is to have two blokes crossing their blades for a long time. Especially when it comes to the Japanese Samurai, they trained to be able to kill / defeat their opponent with as few strikes as possible, to keep the blade sharp - it actually gets blunt faster than most people think.

As for the Portuguese-Japanese interaction question raised off-topic, I am no expert in that matter. The Katana word actually made its way from Japan to Portugal, and there's some debate as to whether the Japanese for 'Thank you', Arigato, comes from the Portuguese Obrigado, which sound very similarly. The Portuguese Jesuits were also the first real propagandists for the spread of Christianity in Japan, and the first to present a Gunpowder weapon to the archipelago. Oh, these were also the first Europeans to bring tea back to the West from Japan, so yeah, you owe us that my British friends  ;) Unfortunately, I know little more than this - I have always focused on the study of Islam, and so am more familiar with Portuguese relations with Northern Africa, Middle-East and India at the time of the Mughal Empire  :)
https://brawblether.com

"Poor gauzy souls trying to express ourselves in something tangible." - F. S. Fitzgerald

"Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love." - Robert Burns

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 01:39:53 AM »
Excellent thread!

Go to thread itself. Click left on http at top, to highlight, click right to copy then come back to original thread and click right and paste.   Does that make sense? Same as usual links but you need to know which thread on this huge forumand I began this one so knew where it was.  ;)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2015, 02:28:19 AM »
Excellent thread!

Go to thread itself. Click left on http at top, to highlight, click right to copy then come back to original thread and click right and paste.   Does that make sense? Same as usual links but you need to know which thread on this huge forumand I began this one so knew where it was.  ;)
Got it. Thanks!
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2015, 08:45:18 AM »
Oh I have lots of problem with the way fighting, weapons and armor are depicted in fiction but usually just roll with it. I have a fair bit experience via HEMA with the highland broadsword (a lot applicable to arming sword), some longsword, sword and targe/buckler, quarterstaff (awesome weapon!), sword & dagger and bayonet.

Some of my pet peeves:
- A full medieval-esque army all wearing plate...when it is so stupidly expensive and customized.
- Choosing normal swords to up against fully plate-armored knights rather than, say a mace, axe or a flail that has a much better chance of blunt force trauma or penetration.
- Swords cleaving plate like cheese, lopping off armored heads and arms and whatnot with ease.
- Sword vs sword fighting...and no mention of grabs, kicks, punches, footwork etc.
- Swords locked together for ages, heaving against each other (Youtube 'longsword winding' for what should happen)

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline DDRRead

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2015, 09:33:01 AM »
Hey,@Yora this guy has some good axe and shield techniques . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFs4wP_hByA

. . . and on the subject of viking techniques this guy has a really interesting theory on shield usag . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkhpqAGdZPc
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 09:34:49 AM by DDRRead »