November 18, 2019, 07:33:32 AM

Author Topic: Adventures in Writing  (Read 63598 times)

Offline CameronJohnston

Re: Adventures in Writing
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »
WotF pays a *lot* in both $$ and exposure (especially for non-professional/up-coming writers), and a free and glitzy trip to the US. I know they keep saying there is a firewall between Scientology and WotF and that a lot of very recognizable SF names are involved, but...yeah. Still, no harm in submitting I guess, they are hardly going to force you to convert or anything.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 11:54:23 AM »
WotF pays a *lot* in both $$ and exposure (especially for non-professional/up-coming writers), and a free and glitzy trip to the US. I know they keep saying there is a firewall between Scientology and WotF and that a lot of very recognizable SF names are involved, but...yeah. Still, no harm in submitting I guess, they are hardly going to force you to convert or anything.
Actually, it does look pretty interesting.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2015, 01:05:24 PM »
Has anybody thought of submitting something to the Writers of the Future competition? It would seem like a good opportunity for newer writers, but some see it as problematic due to the association with L Ron Hubbard.

Also, just had a short story accepted by Sword & Sorcery magazine, pleased it has found a good home but now I need to get working on writing more as the cupboard is now bare.
Congratulations!

I have thought about submitting something to the WotF, but sadly I'm not quite proficient enough at writing to really consider it. I Didn't know there was a Scientology connection, but that makes no difference to me: Submitting something to a contest doesn't make me a Scientologist. I hope.  ???
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2015, 01:23:31 PM »
Incidentally, the WotF site is completely broken for me  :-\
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2015, 01:50:19 PM »
Yeah, pretty much crap. I did manage to trial-and-error my way to the rules and submission directions by scrolling all the way to the bottom of the home page and the links on the far right.
Here are the rules:
http://www.writersofthefuture.com/contest-rules-writers/
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 02:40:10 PM »
Yeah, pretty much crap. I did manage to trial-and-error my way to the rules and submission directions by scrolling all the way to the bottom of the home page and the links on the far right.
Here are the rules:
http://www.writersofthefuture.com/contest-rules-writers/
Thanks, I managed to find that page via google :D
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline wakarimasen

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Builder
  • Currently suffering multiple story disorder...
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2015, 05:41:29 PM »
So do many folks on here get stuff published in some of the SF/F mags or sites?
As words from the wise... Where would I start if I wanted to look at doing that?

Offline Yora

« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2015, 09:13:45 PM »
I haven't released a single story yet, but I am already getting fan mail.  ;D Primarily by people from the forum where I post my worldbuilding stuff and exchange ideas with others. A lot of it is actually just "Hey, I don't really have much to say, but I like your stuff and think you have really great ideas", but when people make the effort to tell you just that, it's still highly motivating.
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2015, 09:15:56 PM »
I haven't released a single story yet, but I am already getting fan mail.  ;D Primarily by people from the forum where I post my worldbuilding stuff and exchange ideas with others. A lot of it is actually just "Hey, I don't really have much to say, but I like your stuff and think you have really great ideas", but when people make the effort to tell you just that, it's still highly motivating.
@xiagan is paying people to do this to distract you from the fact that my wife is planning world domination.
Er, wait, that makes no sense.

Actually, yay @Yora! because you do have awesome fascinating ideas.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Yora

« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2015, 09:53:18 PM »
We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on a big tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2015, 10:39:56 AM »
So do many folks on here get stuff published in some of the SF/F mags or sites?
As words from the wise... Where would I start if I wanted to look at doing that?

Some people are working away trying achieve that, some of us are published in magazines, and some of of us also have full novels published. It makes for a good pool of information and experience :)

We have a handy thread on the forum with links to various magazines and resources if you want to try sending your stories out to get published:
http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/open-for-submissions/magazine-directory-for-submissions/

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2015, 10:25:55 AM »
My first pro-rate story is being published by Shimmer next week.

Having read through the proof and seen the beautiful writing my story sits alongside, I'm really pleased. Excite!

Seems to me that the market for short science fiction is a lot larger than fantasy. Could be way off the mark here, but that's my impression. This is a frustration as fantasy is very much my bag, whereas science fiction feels like a bag I've borrowed and I like but it's not really mine, y'know?

Getting fan mail must be lovely, Yora!

Offline Michael Sullivan

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2015, 12:27:38 PM »

What is "pro-rate" these days?  I'm going to be doing a contest where I'll add a short story to my next released novel to give a new author some exposure and I want to make sure they are well compensated.  I've heard it's $0.07 which seems really low.  The amount I'm paying is $0.15 a word - does that seem reasonable?

Offline Carter

• Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Night Angel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2015, 02:24:59 PM »

Congratulations!  That must be a ridiculously good feeling. 

As for the science fiction/fantasy market goes, I know what you mean.  But hey, I just write what I like and see if any will buy it later - mostly fantasy as well but I forage elsewhere when the story demands it.  Besides, the balance has to change sometime, right?

What is "pro-rate" these days?  I'm going to be doing a contest where I'll add a short story to my next released novel to give a new author some exposure and I want to make sure they are well compensated.  I've heard it's $0.07 which seems really low.  The amount I'm paying is $0.15 a word - does that seem reasonable?

To qualify as a pro-market for the SFWA it stands at $0.06 per word.  Somehow I doubt many people can object to you paying above that!

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2015, 04:37:46 PM »
$0.06?! It used to be $0.05! Maybe I haven't made my first pro-rate sale after all...  :-\

Still, yes. A fantastic feeling. I agree absolutely - Write what you like to write and the masses will come in their droves, throwing coin at you, praising the ground upon which you walk, and singing hymns to your name. That's what I tell myself anyway... it'll happen one day.

$0.15 a word is an excellent rate. I don't think there are many markets that offer that.