August 06, 2020, 10:54:30 AM

Author Topic: Adventures in Writing  (Read 79924 times)

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
Re: Adventures in Writing
« Reply #450 on: March 05, 2020, 01:41:14 PM »
I decided I hadn't been doing enough improvisational writing (prompts, freewrites, etc.) so I went on HitRecord and did their weekly writing challenge. My contribution ended up getting featured on their front page. :) It got a lot of positive attention and that really brought my mood up, even if it was just for a very short piece of prose. The task was to write a piece of poetry or prose from the perspective of an abstract. (You can read my piece, I Am Doubt, here.)
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #451 on: March 05, 2020, 02:14:01 PM »
(You can read my piece, I Am Doubt, here.)
I really, *really* liked it! :D
Congrats!
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #452 on: April 16, 2020, 08:13:35 PM »
My next dark fantasy book is currently out on submission to editors...during all of this...with publishing staff and editors getting furloughed. It's been...interesting...so far.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #453 on: April 17, 2020, 12:49:37 AM »
Good luck, Cameron. As though the publishing industry needed MORE wild uncontrollable uncertainty!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #454 on: May 21, 2020, 09:00:02 AM »
Just for some fun, SPFBO judge Timy has rounded up a bunch of authors (no idea who!) to write a free serialized story.

Read Part 1 of 'The Butcher Queen', as I kick off this season of To Be Continued...
https://starlitbook.com/2020/05/20/the-butcher-queen-part-1-by-cameron-johnston/

I started off this story, but other authors will carry it on and finish it - I have no idea how this story will end, but I can't wait to find out!

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Christopher C. Fuchs

« Reply #455 on: June 14, 2020, 07:31:24 PM »
I decided I hadn't been doing enough improvisational writing (prompts, freewrites, etc.) so I went on HitRecord and did their weekly writing challenge. My contribution ended up getting featured on their front page. :) It got a lot of positive attention and that really brought my mood up, even if it was just for a very short piece of prose. The task was to write a piece of poetry or prose from the perspective of an abstract. (You can read my piece, I Am Doubt, here.)

Really liked this, Magnus. Amplified it here: https://twitter.com/ChrisCFuchs/status/1272234025491615747
"Top 5 Novel of the Year" --Liviu Suciul, former co-editor of Fantasy Book Critic, review for my debut Lords of Deception (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3016003847).

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #456 on: June 14, 2020, 09:38:36 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention that my story that I've literally been waiting years for was finally published in issue #49 of Albedo One. The whole thing felt a bit anticlimactic because I've been waiting so long and because the magazine has been so far behind on publication I'm guessing it's dropped a lot of readers. Still, my first proper publication. :)

(Psst: you can read the full story here.)
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #457 on: June 23, 2020, 10:15:44 AM »
Many congratulations!

My writing adventures seem to have consisted of the Not Having Any variety for a long time. Got mentioned on a blog about Top 5 Portal stories alongside Alex. E. Harrow a little while ago, which was nice. But that's about it.

Offline Caith

« Reply #458 on: July 08, 2020, 10:58:11 PM »
I was really pleased today to get notification that one of my short stories is being considered for the long list for a competition.

I then had a glass half empty moment, when I thought that maybe just meant they had weeded out all the ones with spelling mistakes or were written  in green ink on pages torn out of old note books. Then I had a glass half full moment, when I thought maybe they had hundreds and hundreds of entries and maybe I had made it through to the final dozens.

So here I am in the long list waiting room, metaphorically pacing up and down and smoking endless ciggies...  :)

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #459 on: July 09, 2020, 07:48:34 AM »
maybe they had hundreds and hundreds of entries and maybe I had made it through to the final dozens.
This one's better ;D

Congrats, and fingers crossed for the next stage!

Offline hexa

« Reply #460 on: July 16, 2020, 08:16:44 PM »
My Japanese science fiction has been published

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc98/253016-dragon-eyes-the-space-opera/faqs/78468

It's a space opera about a maiden that searches for her lost brother.  You can run the Japanese game on an emulator.  I am translating the script from Japanese to English

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #461 on: July 17, 2020, 08:44:28 PM »
A good friend of mine interviewed me all about my books and inspiration behind them yesterday. Honestly it was a lot of fun. I got to talk about the religious side of the books and a bit about my coming out/queer identity and how that's affected my writing. If anyone's interested in having a listen, the video's up on my Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/karussell87/
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

Online ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #462 on: July 17, 2020, 08:50:30 PM »
Ooooh that was cool seeing and hearing you :D

(I admit I haven't watched the full 45 mins, hehe, but bits and pieces)

Funnily enough, I was expecting your hair to look like your avatar :-[ ;D

Offline SugoiMe

« Reply #463 on: July 17, 2020, 09:15:27 PM »
Ooooh that was cool seeing and hearing you :D

(I admit I haven't watched the full 45 mins, hehe, but bits and pieces)

Funnily enough, I was expecting your hair to look like your avatar :-[ ;D

It used to! haha I cut my hair off about a year ago. Don't miss it a bit.
"And then the time came when the risk it took to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin