July 05, 2020, 12:39:07 AM

Author Topic: Adventures in Writing  (Read 78060 times)

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

Re: Adventures in Writing
« Reply #435 on: October 13, 2019, 09:59:54 AM »

Which kind of writer are you? I'm a Neutral Pantser, haha.  ;D

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #436 on: October 13, 2019, 12:24:46 PM »
I'm a True Plantster with a Lawful Leaning 8)

Online cupiscent

« Reply #437 on: October 14, 2019, 07:59:29 AM »
Neutral Plotter over here, especially that "thinks about writing bios, doesn't". Ouch, called OUT. :D

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #438 on: November 01, 2019, 03:06:30 AM »
Whew. Got my query rejected by another agent today. When is the right time that I should start submitting my works to publishers who accepted unsolicited manuscripts? Or should I just find and submit to even more literary agents?

It's just kind of disheartening to have the manuscript been rejected by so many agents, without anyone ever asking to read more of my story at all.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 05:15:31 AM by S. K. Inkslinger »

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #439 on: December 07, 2019, 02:36:32 AM »
Hey guys sorry I've been away but I've been getting a lot of writing done!

So yeah I haven't submitted any of my hordes of writing anywhere because, well, there's something wrong with me and that secret feeling that it's all useless gets reinforced with each rejection.

That said, after idk how many years my novel revisions are finally coming along, with the first 1/3 of my novel re-plotted!!!  I'll send it out to beta readers in late Dec or Jan, and I think I'm going to actually going to come up with a pitch and pitch agents in 2020!!!!  Or submit it somewhere other than just let it sit on my computer like it has been for 9 years!!!!

Idk I got through the hump of the parts I hated (i still low-key hate the beginning) but i'm onto revising the exciting stuff and I'm having a good time and feeling good about things!  It's not really a success like you mostly see in this thread but I'm kinda excited so I thought I'd share.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #440 on: December 07, 2019, 04:52:44 AM »
Hey guys sorry I've been away but I've been getting a lot of writing done!

So yeah I haven't submitted any of my hordes of writing anywhere because, well, there's something wrong with me and that secret feeling that it's all useless gets reinforced with each rejection.

That said, after idk how many years my novel revisions are finally coming along, with the first 1/3 of my novel re-plotted!!!  I'll send it out to beta readers in late Dec or Jan, and I think I'm going to actually going to come up with a pitch and pitch agents in 2020!!!!  Or submit it somewhere other than just let it sit on my computer like it has been for 9 years!!!!

Idk I got through the hump of the parts I hated (i still low-key hate the beginning) but i'm onto revising the exciting stuff and I'm having a good time and feeling good about things!  It's not really a success like you mostly see in this thread but I'm kinda excited so I thought I'd share.

That's one hell of a success in its own right, J.R. I'm so glad for the progress you've made on your novel, and wish you all the best of luck on the beta-reading and eventual pitching process!  :D *thumbs up*

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #441 on: December 07, 2019, 12:49:37 PM »

Which kind of writer are you? I'm a Neutral Pantser, haha.  ;D
None of the above. Call me a Chaotic Searcher. I see a path. I imagine something good might be on that path. I start walking, just hoping hoping hoping I’m not on a dead end.

Actually, sounds a lot like a Chaotic Planster. That’s me.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #442 on: January 28, 2020, 03:18:56 PM »
I have a short story 'Faith in Iron' out with Games Workshop's Black Library - it was a lot of fun writing a Warhammer 40k story for them, but boy did I need to reacquaint myself with their terminology.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #443 on: February 09, 2020, 08:41:54 AM »
Nice one.

My adventures in writing have basically been 'Aaah, I don't think I can do this well so I won't' for a long time. Need to put some concerted effort into just putting the words down.

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Half a King
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #444 on: February 09, 2020, 03:09:01 PM »
Still waiting on that one story to get published BUT my productivity has taken a massive leap the last few weeks, and I'm feeling more and more confident it's not something temporary -- all those years of hard work learning self-discipline (I started out below zero) are starting to pay off!

I'm almost done with a major revision/rewrite of my massive batch of novel notes, and I am stupidly excited about getting going with actually writing new material again. Lots of work ahead, but I feel positive!
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #445 on: February 14, 2020, 07:24:43 AM »
Hey so there was this contest by this platform called Fresh.Ink where people submitted short stories novels or whatnot and they were testing out algorithms to connect to beta readers, the winner of each category got like a 1000$ or something.

It was anonymous--your name wasn't on anything-- and you got data on what percent of people saved your story after reading your blurb, how many people decided to start reading, how many finished, if they stopped where they stopped etc, and they ranked you too on a 1-10 scale.  Then based on all this stuff, you got contest points. It was sort of complicated.  But at any rate I entered Tasfin's Trade, a story I wrote for the short story competition here on FF (and lost) and.... I got second place!!! Which wins me... nothing.... but they did mention me in their email to all the contestants announcing the winners so that's cool.

So yeah it wasn't really a win or anything but I feel pretty validated since that's the only time my writing has ever at least come remotely close to being financially compensated in some way.

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #446 on: February 14, 2020, 07:52:49 AM »
Hey, considering that those contests usually have thousands of entries and looking at all the way you could gain/lose points, being second is really good! Congratulations @J.R. Darewood :D

What was the theme on that story's month? I want to check if I voted for you but don't want to trail through 3+ years of contests hehe
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #447 on: February 14, 2020, 08:50:48 AM »
That's actually really good going. Those things get loads of entries - so coming second is a big deal!

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #448 on: February 15, 2020, 12:47:17 AM »
Hey, considering that those contests usually have thousands of entries and looking at all the way you could gain/lose points, being second is really good! Congratulations @J.R. Darewood :D

What was the theme on that story's month? I want to check if I voted for you but don't want to trail through 3+ years of contests hehe

Yeah but I think a lot of it had to do with how you fit into their algorithm and readers are... fickle. The feedback I got wasn't exactly the most intelligent. I put Tasfins Trade up and it got TONS of readers.. I also put the Killer 10 in and it got..  1 reader... They gave it a 10/10 but yeah maybe it was too long or didn't fit their categories.

It has a dragon in it so it might have been dragons? I think I lost to jmacks brilliant wish granting mountain dragon that time.
You can also find it on my website
https://www.nerdempire.org/
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 12:49:16 AM by J.R. Darewood »

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #449 on: February 15, 2020, 09:12:10 AM »
Way to go, JR! Even if they're small, but these wins do make anyone feel better about their writing, which is an immense boost to your writing morale. Keep it going!  8)