December 07, 2019, 02:14:25 AM

Author Topic: Adventures in Writing  (Read 65485 times)

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Adventures in Writing
« Reply #390 on: May 02, 2019, 12:15:04 AM »
Hey, @tebakutis, that’s awesome! I liked your book a lot too. Would love to know if this turns into sales!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #391 on: May 02, 2019, 01:35:30 PM »
That's an awesome write up of Loose Circuit! :)

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #392 on: May 02, 2019, 06:08:38 PM »
Hey, @tebakutis, that’s awesome! I liked your book a lot too. Would love to know if this turns into sales!

Sales are actually the reason I found the review! I was checking my sales and noticed a bunch of copies of Loose Circuit had suddenly sold over a few days. Since I hadn't been promoting it, I got curious as to what motivated them. Then I remembered I'd sent a review copy to Don Sakers at Analog some months back, went to check and see if he had reviewed it, and lo and behold, he had!

That's an awesome write up of Loose Circuit! :)

Thanks Cam. :) BTW ... I'm still polishing up my review of your second book for The Fantasy-Hive, but it will definitely be ready by launch (and given how much I enjoyed your book, it'll be good :P)

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Godling
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #393 on: May 10, 2019, 10:13:22 PM »
Right, I've put Loose Circuit and The Traitor God on my Kindle wish list finally, so now I'll get around to those soon. :D Any other FF writers I shouldn't miss?

Also, Albedo One finally got back to me, they now have a new editor who's going to work on the next two issues of their magazine and things are in motion again! He's been very responsive (same day answers compared to an average response time of ~4 months, no joke), and I've just submitted a revision of my contest story. This came at a time when my productivity was already way up -- I finally feel like I've dealt with some of my bigger obstacles and turned a corner -- so I'm in this positive groove and it feels great!

I've been writing and editing all week and now I have a party to go to tomorrow, and I might take a slacker day on Sunday as for once I've properly earned it. But I'm also eager to get back to it.  ;D
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #394 on: May 14, 2019, 04:45:43 AM »
Loose circuit deserves all the alcolades-- I loved what I read of it when it was in progress.

It took a painfully monumental effort over the weekend here in the rainforest, but my nonfiction alter ego managed to finish the final edit of a book chapter that will be released in an edited volume in August. Now if I could just get my work done fast enough to get back to my fantasies!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #395 on: May 14, 2019, 08:44:44 AM »
Glad to hear that things are finally moving on the short story front @Magnus Hedén hopefully that's an end to all the delays.  Great to hear you are in the groove - it's awesome when that well of positivity overflows.

Writing in the jungle with all that heat and humidity sounds immensely difficult!

As for me, it's now four weeks until God of Broken Things is released. Eep! I'm not finding it quite as stressful as approaching the launch of my first book fortunately as I guess I know what to expect now.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 08:46:48 AM by CameronJohnston »

Offline Magnus Hedén

• Godling
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #396 on: May 14, 2019, 11:13:56 AM »
I've learned to expect things to be more difficult, stressful, and time-consuming than they seem, then be pleasantly surprised the few times that turns out to be wrong.  ;D

And when things do work out well, I've learned not to take that for granted. That's usually when things break down. "Oh great, I've been writing every day for a week. If I extrapolate that, I'll write every day forever." Mhmm.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #397 on: June 15, 2019, 12:11:04 AM »
I took this picture awhile back but wasn't sure how to host it since I changed website hosts, but then I realized I could just sign up for Flickr. So a couple of weeks back, I did a Balticon panel with Scott Lynch, who was the Guest of Honor.

I told Scott he had a bunch of fans on the Fantasy-Faction forums, so he was nice enough to take a picture (he's on the left, obvs)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/182042304@N06/48063946567/in/dateposted-public/

Though you folks would appreciate this. :P

Offline Magnus Hedén

• Godling
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #398 on: June 15, 2019, 08:35:11 AM »
Nice!

And I just finished Loose Circuit. Good stuff. :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #399 on: June 15, 2019, 09:07:42 AM »
Yay!
And you look so different from your avatar photo - oh I see, it's 'no moustache' ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #400 on: June 15, 2019, 10:38:06 PM »
Awesome! Haven't met him myself but he always comes across as a great guy.

Offline Peat

« Reply #401 on: June 16, 2019, 11:02:42 AM »
Scott Lynch looks like the hairdresser from Queer Eye went into a cave for six months by himself.

And Teb looks like he goes to a lot of steampunk and industrial club nights these days. Crazy what losing the 'tache does.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #402 on: June 18, 2019, 07:36:48 PM »
And I just finished Loose Circuit. Good stuff. :)

Woot! Glad you enjoyed it!

Awesome! Haven't met him myself but he always comes across as a great guy.
Yeah, he was hilarious as well, and it was obvious that despite being the Guest of Honor (and having a ton of great stuff to say) he went out of his way to make sure the lesser known panelists got time to talk. Sometimes big names have a tendency to dominate panels, but Scott intentionally tried *not* to do that. Super cool guy.

Yay!
And you look so different from your avatar photo - oh I see, it's 'no moustache' ;D
Yeah, I lost the 'stache years ago! Just the chin strap now, and my author pic is from years back. I keep meaning to update it, but haven't bothered. I need to take one I like. My hair is much grayer now. :P

And Teb looks like he goes to a lot of steampunk and industrial club nights these days. Crazy what losing the 'tache does.

Ha. Thanks?

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #403 on: July 01, 2019, 04:35:18 PM »
Phew. Just finished the next draft and sent the new WiP off to an agent. *fingers crossed they want to represent it* Now it's just the wait to hear back...

In other news, I finally got round to writing up my long-delayed Warhammer 40k short story pitch to send off to Black Library.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #404 on: July 31, 2019, 06:13:44 AM »
I've got some damn cool news.

At Farpoint this year (back in February) I met a totally awesome (and talented) audiobook narrator. Fast forward about six months, and as of a week ago, we've signed a contract and he's going to be narrating Supremacy's Shadow (my grimsnark scifi thriller). This will be the first book I've gotten done in audio, and the narrator is KILLING it. The first chapter sounds great and it seems like we're going to moving along at a fast pace.

So, that's happening! I'm excited. Now I just need to motivate myself to finish the copyedits on Supremacy's Bounty (my next grimsnark scifi thriller) so I can pop it into the Kindle UK Storyteller contest (deadline August 31). I don't except to win, but I'm hoping entering the contest (since I'll be publishing on KDP anyway) will get some extra eyes on the book.

And I'm off to Gencon tomorrow! Four days of non-stop gaming where I will forget we have a treasonous ****head for president. :P