March 22, 2019, 06:59:33 PM

Author Topic: Adventures in Writing  (Read 45341 times)

Offline JRTroughton

Re: Adventures in Writing
« Reply #360 on: September 15, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »
Great review, T.

I wonder... have you seen any impact on sales?

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #361 on: September 17, 2018, 11:18:21 PM »
Great review, T.

I wonder... have you seen any impact on sales?

I have, as a matter of fact! Since the review I've been selling an average of a book a day (sometimes more, sometimes less) or getting Kindle Unlimited page hits pretty consistently, so it definitely seems to have raised awareness of the book. Still not paying for itself, of course, but it is nice to see steady ticks of purchases. Plus, I got another review on Amazon today, which is always welcome! So yes, I'd say the Analog review has definitely contributed to a few sales.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #362 on: December 30, 2018, 06:44:35 PM »
I got my structural edits back from my editor for God of Broken Things...on December 20th. *blink blink*
That's...not great timing for me, especially since they would like them back ASAP.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Peat

« Reply #363 on: December 31, 2018, 12:58:11 AM »
*cough* Possibly the wrong place, but anyone got any good tips for good places to submit short fiction to?

Also - awesome news Eric. And Eli. And Cam. And... well, I haven't read back further than that  :P
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #364 on: December 31, 2018, 08:21:20 AM »
I'd suggest looking here:
The (Submission) Grinder https://thegrinder.diabolicalplots.com/Search/ByFilter
Ralan http://www.ralan.com/

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #365 on: December 31, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »
Cam, they must understand that it's Christmas! You won't spend 8 hours/day working on the book >:(
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #366 on: January 01, 2019, 02:00:24 AM »
I got my structural edits back from my editor for God of Broken Things...on December 20th. *blink blink*
That's...not great timing for me, especially since they would like them back ASAP.

Wasn’t there some guy advertising his ghost writing service on our forum the other day... ?
 ;) ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Jenny HJ

• Coreling
  • Ent Provider to the horticulturally deprived.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 03, 2019, 08:19:00 PM »
I’m feeling a kind of deflated sense of achievement today.

I have let my characters lead my writing until they started to go too far away from any convergence or the end point.
After having to assign two whole chapters to the scrivener- maybe book 2 section, I tried to wrestle control back and for the first time in 4 years of fighting and writing- I am looking at a complete outline- with the last,(unwritten),third in rough key points. It’s big, it took 9 sheets of A4 but I can see where they need to go.

I ‘think’ I like the end point.  But it was always going to be more than one book, and this is now really apparent. Which worries me from the long term hope of agents, submissions etc for a first book.
  I am also finding it much harder to try to wrestle the characters along their routes rather than let them run free.

So yay for finally having a full outline! But now I’m trying to work from it, it’s proving slower and much harder.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 08:23:33 PM by Jenny HJ »

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #368 on: January 07, 2019, 05:16:17 PM »

I have let my characters lead my writing until they started to go too far away from any convergence or the end point.
After having to assign two whole chapters to the scrivener- maybe book 2 section, I tried to wrestle control back and for the first time in 4 years of fighting and writing- I am looking at a complete outline- with the last,(unwritten),third in rough key points. It’s big, it took 9 sheets of A4 but I can see where they need to go.

I ‘think’ I like the end point.  But it was always going to be more than one book, and this is now really apparent. Which worries me from the long term hope of agents, submissions etc for a first book.
  I am also finding it much harder to try to wrestle the characters along their routes rather than let them run free.

So yay for finally having a full outline! But now I’m trying to work from it, it’s proving slower and much harder.

If it makes you feel any better what I initially thought was a trilogy stuck in my head is very probably more like 9 books

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #369 on: January 10, 2019, 01:43:44 AM »

If it makes you feel any better what I initially thought was a trilogy stuck in my head is very probably more like 9 books

Write them!
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #370 on: January 10, 2019, 03:00:29 AM »

Write them!

Haha I've been stuck on revisions on the first book for... 7 years.

assuming I actually finish revising it, 7x9= 63 years to finish...

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #371 on: January 12, 2019, 04:22:04 AM »
So, tonight, I can officially say that I did what I set out to do. With a week or so while the wife and child are in Cali without me, I was determined to sit down and finish the edits on Supremacy's Bounty, my next grimsnark thriller.

I did it. It's done. Sitting at 94k and ready to go off to my copyeditor. I really like how this book turned out.

So that happened. Yah!

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #372 on: January 12, 2019, 10:54:22 AM »
Fantastic @tebakutis !

I just want to know why you sent your wife and kids to see Kali. Isn’t that a little extreme to get some writing time? :o 8)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #373 on: January 14, 2019, 09:28:31 AM »
Congrats @tebakutis :)   So...what's next? :D

Somehow or other I've ended up in this month's Grimdark Magazine with both a short story and an interview.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #374 on: January 14, 2019, 03:18:59 PM »
Congrats @tebakutis :)   So...what's next? :D

Somehow or other I've ended up in this month's Grimdark Magazine with both a short story and an interview.

Somehow? I think the somehow is due to the quality of your book.  :)
www.starlit-lands.com