September 23, 2018, 11:14:34 PM

Author Topic: Adventures in Writing  (Read 36084 times)

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Adventures in Writing
« Reply #345 on: August 07, 2018, 01:47:19 PM »
Heroic Fantasy Quarterly have published The Blitz of Din Barham, which was originally written for the Fantasy Faction Guns & Dragons anthology.
http://www.heroicfantasyquarterly.com/?p=2509
You're on a roll today ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Night Angel
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #346 on: August 09, 2018, 10:35:57 AM »
So I've had a bit of a rough patch with writing but things are turning in the right direction again. While I'm still waiting on my first story getting published (I'm so sick of these people by now... ), I made a positive change by switching my Patreon from monthly to "per-thing", which basically means I decide when my patrons get charged. It's a huge load off my back because the negative pressure to perform is gone, replaced by a positive pressure (if I write a story and post it, I get paid). Knowing myself, I'll make less money this way cause I won't charge for anything I'm not proud of, but I feel freer already.

Oh, and talking about freedom, I found an app that blocks me out of social media (and anything else I choose, including programs). It's been a huge relief for me. It's set to automatically lock me out every morning, and I turn it on for 45-minute chunks when I'm sitting down to work or write in the afternoon. Productivity is on a steady incline. It's stupid how often I find myself clicking those links when I'm supposed to be working, but it's also enlightening.

If you want to find out more, the app is called Freedom, and it's free to try. (Full disclosure: the link is a referral that I get a bonus from if you end up registering).
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 09, 2018, 11:13:35 AM »
So,@magnus hedin, is F-F part of the social media block?  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Night Angel
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #348 on: August 09, 2018, 11:35:54 AM »
So,@magnus hedin, is F-F part of the social media block?  ;D

Yes. .__.

That's why I only came on here after 11 am today, when I'd done a considerable amount of work.  8)
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Online Eli_Freysson

Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #349 on: August 15, 2018, 04:53:24 PM »
Huh.

I... have a bit of news.

You know that Romanian fantasy magazine that contacted me months ago, basically because they happened upon me online by chance? Well, this July their third issue came out, featuring the first chapter in The War of the Usurper, which also stands on its own as a short story.

The editor just contacted me. We had a Facebook phonecall, and he told me that the reception in Romania to the story has been very positive. He offered to let publishers in his country have my email address, and possibly publishers of other fantasy magazines in other countries.

We spoke for a while, and he asked about my general writing career, my life and stuff like that, though his first question was how many entries the sci-fi series has (four). He also pointed the webcamera at a woman who I guess was his wife, and she told me how much she loved the story.

He is going to contact me again next week. As for those publishers he did warn me that reaction times to stuff like this can be rather long in Romania.

So...

Experience has taught me to hope very carefully when it comes to my writing career. I'm now trying to break into traditional publishing precisely because I'm sick of disappointment brought on by my non-existent marketing skills. But this is the first foot I get inside this particular door. Or toe, at least.

It would be kind of amazing if my big break comes from Romania of all places, through a stroke of blind luck.

I think I'll go downtown for beer in a little while.
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Re: The King's Paws (with one holding a bottle of Peri Peri sauce.)
« Reply #350 on: August 15, 2018, 06:35:39 PM »
Wahey! Lots of good luck!
 :D

I love reading all these good news about FF people
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 06:54:21 PM by ScarletBea »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #351 on: August 16, 2018, 04:31:56 AM »
So back at Balticon, I learned Supremacy's Shadow was going to be reviewed in the Sep/Oct issue of Analog Science Fiction and Fact. Naturally, despite being told this by the actual *reviewer*, my mind still refused to accept it as fact. I was floored.

Today, having arrived at Worldcon, I met some fellow authors who were also on the plane with me and took an Uber to my hotel. One of them had the latest edition of Analog. My book is, in fact, reviewed in the Sep/Oct issue... and they LIKED IT.

HOLY COW. I am still processing, but as you can imagine, I am excited and pleased. I will post some excerpts from the review once I can get my hands on my own copy of the issue, hopefully tomorrow at the Worldcon dealer's room. But this is awesome!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #352 on: August 16, 2018, 08:33:46 AM »
Good luck @Eli_Freysson I hope good things come from this!

@tebakutis - Analog? Sweeeet! That's such a great magazine to have reviewing  Supremacy's Shadow. You need to get tweeting/posting on Facebook about that.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #353 on: August 16, 2018, 11:12:35 AM »

Today, having arrived at Worldcon, I met some fellow authors who were also on the plane with me and took an Uber to my hotel. One of them had the latest edition of Analog. My book is, in fact, reviewed in the Sep/Oct issue... and they LIKED IT.

How could they *not* like it, that's the question! That's great Teb, but more importantly well-deserved

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #354 on: August 19, 2018, 05:29:58 AM »
How could they *not* like it, that's the question! That's great Teb, but more importantly well-deserved

@tebakutis - Analog? Sweeeet! That's such a great magazine to have reviewing  Supremacy's Shadow. You need to get tweeting/posting on Facebook about that.

I finally got my hands on the issue today, so as promised, here's my favorite pull quotes I am still freaking out over the review, in a good way. What's that thing Jen Williams says? I'm chuffed. I'm totally chuffed!

"...for all its grim and gritty content, Supremacy's Shadow sparkles with wit and humor. Hayden Cross covers his inner turmoil with the kind of devil-may-care banter that we're accustomed to hearing from the mouths of Humphrey Bogart, Harrison Ford, or Bruce Willis."

"If you're looking for an old-school snarky hero in an up-to-date SF book, this is the story for you."

-Don Sakers, Analog Science Fiction and Fact

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #355 on: August 20, 2018, 08:47:10 AM »
Absolutely delighted for both you Eli and you, Teba. Getting a positive review in Analog is fantastic and hopefully all your hard work is starting to pay off for you, Eli... if from a somewhat unlikely source!

Congratulations all. :)

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #356 on: August 22, 2018, 10:24:12 PM »
Hm.

An hour ago that Romanian fellow asked me what my conditions would be for a Romanian-language release of the entire The Golden Throne series.

I had no answer other than "a fair deal", though I don't really understand what that is. I haven't involved myself with the publishing world at all, and I didn't expect even a slim chance for a publishing deal to come along any time soon.

(Before anyone congratulates me he did state that he isn't hugely optimistic about my chances, but he's going to try.)
I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #357 on: August 28, 2018, 09:52:56 AM »
I have just seen rough cover art for my second novel, God of Broken Things, and OMG is it good. There's a variety of slightly different rough images in the mix and it's so difficult to choose between them all this time around.

Offline tebakutis

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #358 on: September 13, 2018, 02:28:32 AM »
Oh! Can't believe I forgot to post this!

For this interested in reading the full review of Supremacy's Shadow, it's now online at Analog's website, here.

http://www.analogsf.com/current-issue/the-reference-library/

You'll have to scroll down a bit, but the full review is listed. I still get warm fuzzies when I read it.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #359 on: September 13, 2018, 09:03:16 AM »
That is a damn good review! :)