December 17, 2018, 05:24:20 PM

Author Topic: Adventures in Writing  (Read 39618 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Ta'veren
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures in Writing
« Reply #330 on: July 14, 2018, 07:35:43 AM »
What is your book called @NedMarcus ? You should put a link in your sig.
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #331 on: July 14, 2018, 02:00:30 PM »
What is your book called @NedMarcus ? You should put a link in your sig.

The book's called Blue Prometheus. The link's a good idea; I've been meaning to add it.

Many writers in the SPBO 2018, including me, are putting their books up for sale for 99c, from 1-5th August. I'd like to put up a link somewhere here, not sure where, nearer the time. There should be 100+ fantasy novels on sale then. @WilliamRay is there, too.

Offline WilliamRay

« Reply #332 on: July 14, 2018, 03:14:16 PM »
Many writers in the SPBO 2018, including me, are putting their books up for sale for 99c, from 1-5th August. I'd like to put up a link somewhere here, not sure where, nearer the time. There should be 100+ fantasy novels on sale then. @WilliamRay is there, too.

We're not supposed to tell people that yet, so... shhh!  ;)
I haven't read Blue Prometheus yet, but it looks frightfully good, considering that our books are squared off against each other in the very first round of SPFBO!  Yikes. :D

But yes, for those wishing to play the SPFBO home game, there may or may not be a sale so you can more easily afford read along with the epic conflict of SPFBO 2018... a sale which I definitely gave you no hint would be happening, if it did happen, which maybe it won't, I'm certainly not saying.

If it were to happen, maybe Ned will come back and post a link to it later, if such a thing existed, which it might, but I'm certainly not saying it will or that he would, or that either of us are involved, if it is happening, because I can neither confirm nor deny it.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #333 on: July 15, 2018, 05:08:58 AM »

We're not supposed to tell people that yet, so... shhh!  ;)
I haven't read Blue Prometheus yet, but it looks frightfully good, considering that our books are squared off against each other in the very first round of SPFBO!  Yikes. :D

...If it were to happen, maybe Ned will come back and post a link to it later, if such a thing existed, which it might, but I'm certainly not saying it will or that he would, or that either of us are involved, if it is happening, because I can neither confirm nor deny it.

If it were to happen, Ned might do that. The competition is strong all the way, I think, so anything could happen, but given the choice, I'd have preferred not meet other members here in the first round—the final round maybe  :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 05:38:20 AM by NedMarcus »

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #334 on: July 28, 2018, 05:18:23 AM »
I had some success with a recent book promotion, so I thought I'd share my experience for my indie friends on these forums.

Recently, I moved Glyphbinder, Demonkin, and Bloodmender (my first trilogy) over to KDP Select, which means you get some additional benefits in exchange for selling your e-books on Amazon only. Glyphbinder was available on other platforms, but wasn't selling literally anything, so I figured, why not?

When you enroll in KDP Select, Amazon gives you two promotion options you can use once every 90 days. One of these is a giveaway, where you can make your e-book free for a few days and Amazon will promote it. This is the option I chose for Glyphbinder (my first book) and I timed it with a small ad buy at Free Kindle Books (http://fkbt.com/ ), a mailing list with charges $25. The promotion actually worked really well.

With the aid of the FKBT add, I ended up with over 800 downloads during my giveaway period (4 days). In the month and change since, this has settled into a steady uptick in e-both book sales (Glyphbinder is the first book in a trilogy, leading to sales of the second two books) and a big uptick in Kindle Unlimited page reads (steady traffic for almost a month now, compared to 0 before). So, at least for a completed trilogy, this was a successful promotion by my (limited) standards, as the resulting sales and Kindle Unlimited reads will shortly pay for the $25 dollar expense and I may even make a small profit. The biggest benefit, obviously, was a massive (relative to prior readership) uptick in readers.

I don't know how effective this would be without a trilogy to sell, but I thought I'd share my experience since we have a number of indie authors on the boards.

In other news, I have three rejections on my current finished novel (another Supremacy book) and one agent bite so far.

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
  • Zork. And it was all downhill from there.
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #335 on: July 28, 2018, 05:36:31 AM »
I had some success with a recent book promotion, so I thought I'd share my experience for my indie friends on these forums.

Recently, I moved Glyphbinder, Demonkin, and Bloodmender (my first trilogy) over to KDP Select, which means you get some additional benefits in exchange for selling your e-books on Amazon only. Glyphbinder was available on other platforms, but wasn't selling literally anything, so I figured, why not?

When you enroll in KDP Select, Amazon gives you two promotion options you can use once every 90 days. One of these is a giveaway, where you can make your e-book free for a few days and Amazon will promote it. This is the option I chose for Glyphbinder (my first book) and I timed it with a small ad buy at Free Kindle Books (http://fkbt.com/ ), a mailing list with charges $25. The promotion actually worked really well.

With the aid of the FKBT add, I ended up with over 800 downloads during my giveaway period (4 days). In the month and change since, this has settled into a steady uptick in e-both book sales (Glyphbinder is the first book in a trilogy, leading to sales of the second two books) and a big uptick in Kindle Unlimited page reads (steady traffic for almost a month now, compared to 0 before). So, at least for a completed trilogy, this was a successful promotion by my (limited) standards, as the resulting sales and Kindle Unlimited reads will shortly pay for the $25 dollar expense and I may even make a small profit. The biggest benefit, obviously, was a massive (relative to prior readership) uptick in readers.

I don't know how effective this would be without a trilogy to sell, but I thought I'd share my experience since we have a number of indie authors on the boards.

In other news, I have three rejections on my current finished novel (another Supremacy book) and one agent bite so far.

Wowww!!!  800!!! That's incredible!

Sorry to hear on the Supremacy rejections, your SciFi is really top notch and it needs to get out there so people can read it :)

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #336 on: July 28, 2018, 01:16:13 PM »
The biggest benefit, obviously, was a massive (relative to prior readership) uptick in readers.

Well done. I don't think this would work so well for a single book, but reading stories like this (and I've heard similar stories before) motivates me to finish my second and third books.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #337 on: July 28, 2018, 04:09:05 PM »
800 is really good going. I hope it translates into many sales of the other two in the trilogy and some word spreading.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline WilliamRay

« Reply #338 on: August 01, 2018, 01:59:44 PM »
Because we mentioned it here, without getting too spammy I thought I'd toss up a quick link to the SPBFO sale going on the first five days of August -- over 120 SPFBO titles are up marked down to 99c/p. http://www.andreadomanski.com/spfbo

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #339 on: August 07, 2018, 05:16:37 AM »
I was looking at the submission page of short stories for online magazines today. Whew, being as hopeless as I am, I'd say that's a quick way to feel depressed for sure.  :P

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #340 on: August 07, 2018, 06:53:37 AM »
I was looking at the submission page of short stories for online magazines today. Whew, being as hopeless as I am, I'd say that's a quick way to feel depressed for sure.  :P

Why?

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #341 on: August 07, 2018, 07:48:56 AM »

Anything we can help with?

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #342 on: August 07, 2018, 08:57:57 AM »

Why?

Ah yeah, many of the small publishers that I used to send my materials to are now closed to submission. (Some even permanently, others will probably be closed for a long while) I have no hopes for the big ones too. It's nothing actually, hahah, probably just my mood for this stressful week.

Much thanks to you both!  :D

Offline J.R. Darewood

• aka Duckly Breadgood
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • Nerd Empire
« Reply #343 on: August 07, 2018, 09:23:18 AM »

Why?

Ah yeah, many of the small publishers that I used to send my materials to are now closed to submission. (Some even permanently, others will probably be closed for a long while) I have no hopes for the big ones too. It's nothing actually, hahah, probably just my mood for this stressful week.

Much thanks to you both!  :D

I feel you. The hill seems to keep getting steeper. Did you see my anthology post in the submissions thread? Try that out

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #344 on: August 07, 2018, 01:24:23 PM »
Heroic Fantasy Quarterly have published The Blitz of Din Barham, which was originally written for the Fantasy Faction Guns & Dragons anthology.
http://www.heroicfantasyquarterly.com/?p=2509