December 11, 2018, 08:32:02 PM

Author Topic: Adventures in Writing  (Read 39425 times)

Offline CameronJohnston

Re: Adventures in Writing
« Reply #315 on: June 22, 2018, 01:24:04 PM »
I rarely use Goodreads. @CameronJohnston, would it help much for to post a review there?
It really would, especially in these early days before review numbers build up. As far as I can gather Amazon reviews are the most important for a new book, followed by Goodreads and a mix of bloggers and people mentioning it on places like Reddit r/fantasy to raise awareness.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Night Angel
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
    • View Profile
    • My Patreon
« Reply #316 on: June 27, 2018, 04:35:30 PM »
For upcoming writers, every review helps, even if it's not a five-star. It puts the book on people's radar!
You can find stories on my Patreon
I'm also on Twitter and the Book of Faces

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #317 on: July 06, 2018, 11:18:50 AM »
And an acceptance in from Heroic Fantasy Quarterly to kick off my Friday :)  They have taken The Blitz of Din Barham, a story I originally wrote for the Guns & Dragons anthology featuring a magician's apprentice taking on a dragon using the power of chemistry.

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #318 on: July 06, 2018, 03:16:16 PM »
Good for you Cameron!
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #319 on: July 06, 2018, 10:06:53 PM »
And an acceptance in from Heroic Fantasy Quarterly to kick off my Friday :)  They have taken The Blitz of Din Barham, a story I originally wrote for the Guns & Dragons anthology featuring a magician's apprentice taking on a dragon using the power of chemistry.

Nice!

Offline Toby Frost

« Reply #320 on: July 09, 2018, 04:24:56 PM »
I’m in a weird situation where quite a lot could happen, but there’s no guarantee that it actually will. Last year the sixth book in a series I wrote was published, and I felt that it was time to stop (for now at least). Since then, I’ve written a short SF novel about spies, robots and memory, which my agent is currently looking at, and I’ve started to try to revise some fantasy stories that I wrote a few years back, with a view to self-publishing them later this year. I’ve never self-published anything before, so it’s going to be a strange experience. There’s also a short play that I wrote for a friend’s podcast/website, so there are a lot of projects that could end up having interesting results. Of course, I’ve no idea if any of them will…

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #321 on: July 10, 2018, 09:24:07 AM »
Yikes, that is a whole lot of pots on the boil, Toby!  I hope at least some of them do really well.

Offline Toby Frost

« Reply #322 on: July 10, 2018, 11:23:32 AM »
Thanks! To be honest, there's a certain element of throwing everything at the wall and hoping some of it sticks!

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #323 on: July 11, 2018, 09:43:26 PM »
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Online Rostum

« Reply #324 on: July 12, 2018, 08:52:11 PM »
Coolbeans I am still enjoying the first one. Too much work and not enough reading.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #325 on: July 13, 2018, 04:00:51 PM »
Updates from me!

Two rejections on my latest grimsnark scifi thriller, but, I recently got a "first 50 pages" request from an agent I'm excited about. So, that's better than a straight up rejection. I still think it's like a 5% chance, but better than nothing.

I did a special on Glyphbinder (my first book) last month and it was actually fairly successful. I put it up for free on KDP Select (Amazon only) and also paid a small fee to a gentleman with a large newsletter audience. As such, I managed to move around 850 (free) books, which will get a lot of new readers into my fantasy trilogy, and has caused my Kindle Unlimited pages on both the first book and its sequels to go from 0 to an average of a few 100 each day, which is really nice. So, I'd definitely recommend Kindle giveaways for those who books aren't "wide".

Also, I recently joined the Science Fiction Writers of America (SFWA) based on my game design experience, and I'm finding a ton of great resources. In addition to connecting me with many published and experienced authors, they provide a ton of great resources, such as a booth at Worldcon that will sell your books on commission (I'll be attending this year!), discounts on common writer resources such as Netgalley, and additional visibility for your books (indie or not) for other SFWA members and promotional outlets.

So, I've been very pleased with the resources SFWA provides and definitely think it was good investment. Hoping to make some additional contacts at Worldcon.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #326 on: July 14, 2018, 01:47:59 AM »
Are Goodreads reviews different from others? I recently got a review on Goodreads saying how much she liked the book and wanted to read more, but then gave it 3 stars. I'm pleased with the review, and pleased she enjoyed reading my novel, but a little puzzled. Do reviewers on Goodreads give different meanings to their star ratings than on Amazon?

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 14, 2018, 05:09:10 AM »
Are Goodreads reviews different from others? I recently got a review on Goodreads saying how much she liked the book and wanted to read more, but then gave it 3 stars. I'm pleased with the review, and pleased she enjoyed reading my novel, but a little puzzled. Do reviewers on Goodreads give different meanings to their star ratings than on Amazon?

We had a discussion not long ago about this and in general we all seem to have our own personal ideas about awarding stars. Goodreads may have a scale of its own, but we all still tend to do our own thing.

I give 3 stars to books I enjoyed but not enough to read again or follow a series, although recognising others may do so.  Unlike the person who gave you 3 stars but wants to read more, on my scale you would have got a 4, so it is pretty subjective.

Here is the thread

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-book-discussion/how-do-you-rate-your-stars-what-does-it-mean-when-you-give-a-book-a-star/
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #328 on: July 14, 2018, 06:25:14 AM »
on my scale you would have got a 4, so it is pretty subjective.

How do you know? You might have loved it  8)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 14, 2018, 07:12:11 AM »
 ;D ;D Indeed you are right, I better get on to GR and check it out. But dont hold your breath, my TBR of authors from here is already a long list. ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic