August 15, 2018, 05:25:51 PM

Author Topic: Adventures in Writing  (Read 34376 times)

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Needs a Cheesy Quest Fantasy baa-aadly
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
Re: Adventures in Writing
« Reply #285 on: February 16, 2018, 06:28:03 AM »
@tebakutis: Can we read the winning story? Pretty please? ;D

It's actually the story I asked a few people to critique in the Writer's Group forum (Splitting Arrows) with some minor tweaks from those folks and my writer's group! But yeah, I don't see why I couldn't repost it. Will do so soon!

Congrats on the story! I'll have to take a look at it.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #286 on: March 06, 2018, 05:15:34 PM »
So, I ordered my Yeti (microphone) yesterday, and it looks like I'll be narrating my own audiobook version of Supremacy's Shadow. Wish me luck! (on making sure it doesn't suck)

Offline Skip

« Reply #287 on: March 06, 2018, 05:53:36 PM »
If you remember, please let us know what you thought of the microphone. I'm thinking of doing my own narration as well.
Visit Altearth

Offline dinogenetics

« Reply #288 on: March 06, 2018, 07:58:33 PM »
Looked up the Yeti microphone on Amazon, saw this under the Q & A section, and can't stop giggling!

Question:
do you need a poop filter for this

Answer:
you may need one for those bathroom interviews

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #289 on: March 08, 2018, 02:29:11 AM »
If you remember, please let us know what you thought of the microphone. I'm thinking of doing my own narration as well.

Will do! Got it today and will do some test recordings as soon as the little one is safely in bed.

Question:
do you need a poop filter for this

Answer:
you may need one for those bathroom interviews

Honestly Amazon gets the best questions sometimes :P

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #290 on: March 16, 2018, 03:39:10 PM »
So I was chatting with friends last night and we were talking about the journey of artists from their humble beginnings when their technical skills are poor, through much work and time, to the point when they can execute their ideas fully. Of course, I mentioned my F-F acquaintances who are what I call "emerging authors", and how much I've enjoyed hearing of their experiences and seeing things unfold for them. If I have a point, it is only that your success and progress have a positive impact beyond your own careers, and that is an encouraging and hopeful thought.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #291 on: March 18, 2018, 12:22:52 AM »
So, I ordered my Yeti (microphone) yesterday, and it looks like I'll be narrating my own audiobook version of Supremacy's Shadow. Wish me luck! (on making sure it doesn't suck)

I hate the sound of my voice, so I don't think I could ever do that.

Offline Ryan Mueller

• Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
    • Ryan W. Mueller
« Reply #292 on: March 18, 2018, 12:24:41 AM »
So I was chatting with friends last night and we were talking about the journey of artists from their humble beginnings when their technical skills are poor, through much work and time, to the point when they can execute their ideas fully. Of course, I mentioned my F-F acquaintances who are what I call "emerging authors", and how much I've enjoyed hearing of their experiences and seeing things unfold for them. If I have a point, it is only that your success and progress have a positive impact beyond your own careers, and that is an encouraging and hopeful thought.

Maybe one day, I'll get to the point when I can succeed in completely fulfilling the vision I have for my books. It's not that I'm unhappy with what I've written and published. I just feel like there's so much more I can do to continue improving.

Offline Not Lu

« Reply #293 on: March 18, 2018, 04:28:16 PM »

The important thing is to surround yourself with positive and successful people. Their experience rubs off a bit, which helps you to be successful. It's even better if your friends are interested in your success too.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #294 on: April 05, 2018, 01:27:48 PM »
So here we go - The Traitor God is now available on NetGalley for reviewers to read and work their magic.

Eep.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #295 on: April 18, 2018, 09:57:48 AM »
Hmh, not sure where I should put this, so I'm kind of dumping this here.

A lot of people have complimented that my actions scenes are pretty good, but the scenes between could be rather dull. Does anyone have any tips/ pointers on what should I do/ add to improve these scenes?  ???

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #296 on: April 18, 2018, 11:28:38 AM »
A few suggestions:
-More character interaction - jokes, arguments, bitching at each other, emotional turmoil.
-Practice dialogue and make it sparkling.
-Characters torn between doing one thing or another. Bonus points if it's a horrible choice to make.
-More mysteries to uncover as you go along, exciting reveals and ancient ruins.
-Weird and wonderful worldbuilding and/or descriptions.
-Have non-fighting excitement: They are chased and a wagon wheel breaks, forcing them to flee on foot in a storm and get lost. Cross a rickety wooden bridge. Lose a weapon or water skin. Have their gold stolen etc.

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #297 on: April 18, 2018, 11:58:10 AM »
A few suggestions:
-More character interaction - jokes, arguments, bitching at each other, emotional turmoil.
-Characters torn between doing one thing or another. Bonus points if it's a horrible choice to make.
-Have non-fighting excitement: They are chased and a wagon wheel breaks, forcing them to flee on foot in a storm and get lost. Cross a rickety wooden bridge. Lose a weapon or water skin. Have their gold stolen etc.

Wow, those are amazing @CameronJohnston! I'm going to bookmark this now.  :D Thank you so much for this list!

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #298 on: April 18, 2018, 11:58:16 PM »
Max Gladstone once wrote a blog post that I return to again and again on the topic of giving every non-fight scene the tension and urgency of a fight scene: Of Meat Hooks and Desire. He basically talks about keeping focus on conflict, and that not all conflict is or needs to be physical, tangible or even overt.

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 19, 2018, 12:46:59 AM »
A few suggestions:

Are those spoilers for A Traitor God ?  Can't wait for the broken wagon part. 8)
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic