October 26, 2020, 10:35:05 AM

Author Topic: Adventures in Writing  (Read 88196 times)

Offline incisron

Re: Adventures in Writing
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2015, 11:35:03 PM »
Congrats, Cameron :).
I'm working on an all fairy version of Sleeping Beauty.

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2015, 11:09:38 AM »
Been member of the forum since 2012 and despite being a writer I've never ventured into this section before.

Nice thread (and glad to see my old thread from the SFX forum still lives on,on there I was Kahless who created it).

So where am I at. Despite having some early successes a few years ago and getting two shorts published in anthologies in the US I've been having a barren time of things of late. Had four shorts rejected from various outlets and been tied up working on a novel which has taken me away form the shortform.

Currently I'm working on a pilot script for the drama subs window on the BBC Writers Room that opens early September for a month. I have the first 30 mins done and the remaining 30 mapped out just need to knuckle down and finish it before September 24th.

I've also started posting a story on Wattpad, so far the prologue and first chapter are uo and I aim to post a chapter a week (time permitting). I've started a thread in the self published section if anyone wants to go check it out.

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/advertising-your-novels/gypsies-kiss-the-ballad-of-toby-jones-on-wattpad/

« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 11:11:29 AM by Phil Norris »
To have an idea is not enough - no matter how good the idea is.

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2015, 07:22:48 PM »
So where am I at. Despite having some early successes a few years ago and getting two shorts published in anthologies in the US I've been having a barren time of things of late. Had four shorts rejected from various outlets and been tied up working on a novel which has taken me away form the shortform.

Four rejections is par for the course, and probably low even for experienced writers. Don't let that shake you. Short story rejections are incredibly common if you're doing things right (sending them out as quickly as they come back). I've had seven stories published in various markets (sold an eighth, too, but the anthology got dropped by the publisher before it was published) and I have four rejections just this month. Just because you've published a few doesn't make the rest any easier. :)

Publishing short stories is as much about carpet bombing markets with them as it is about writing good fiction. So long as you're working with a writer's group to get your stories critiqued (and make sure they're solid) you should expect a story to get rejected a few times (or many times) before it lands. Different editors are just looking for different things on different days of the week.

Take the rejections you've gotten, dust them off, and send them back out. One story I got published last year (in a mag called Inaccurate Realities) piled up 12 rejections before it sold.

Online cupiscent

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2015, 08:31:50 AM »
That's a fantastic success rate on your agent querying, @CameronJohnston.

I've been casting a wider net with my own recent querying, partly because I have an odd fish of a novel - not quite traditional epic fantasy, not quite something else, plus a little on the long side for the US market at 125k - so I'm sending out queries in batches of about half a dozen to increase my pool of potential odd-taste-havers. :) And I've had a few requests from agents I would be unutterably delighted to work with, so I'm feeling ok about things. Now it's just the waiting game - and while waiting, the writing-the-next-one game.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2015, 09:28:25 AM »
@Phil Norris - Ahah, well I shamelessly borrowed the idea of this thread from yours at SFX (almost signed up for SFX forum to contribute to it, but then it shut down...bah), so welcome! :) It's a funny and interesting place, the Writer's Corner.
I think these acceptances come in waves after long barren trudges through the desert of rejection. Out of curiosity did you only get form rejections for those 4 stories, or did you get a few editors/slush readers tell you what they thought was wrong with them?

The BBC Writers Room programme looks really interesting. I know a few people that have dabbled with that, but I've not really tried script writing myself, that's a whole format I'm not sure of. Hope that last 30 minutes goes down onto paper fast and reads well. How are you finding Wattpad btw? Seems to be an interesting idea.

@incisron - Sounds interesting! Let us know how you get on with it :)

@cupiscent - The perils of multi-genre/oddball stories. I've been there before, trying to figure out if it's horror or fantasy or both. On the plus side, interesting is always good. Is 125k large for the US market? I though 120-125k was a pretty standard fantasy novel length. Delighted to hear you've had a few responses from agents and it's a compliment to even get the request. Have my fingers crossed something good comes out of it for you!

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2015, 10:24:28 PM »
@Phil Norris - Ahah, well I shamelessly borrowed the idea of this thread from yours at SFX (almost signed up for SFX forum to contribute to it, but then it shut down...bah), so welcome! :) It's a funny and interesting place, the Writer's Corner.
I think these acceptances come in waves after long barren trudges through the desert of rejection. Out of curiosity did you only get form rejections for those 4 stories, or did you get a few editors/slush readers tell you what they thought was wrong with them?

The BBC Writers Room programme looks really interesting. I know a few people that have dabbled with that, but I've not really tried script writing myself, that's a whole format I'm not sure of. Hope that last 30 minutes goes down onto paper fast and reads well. How are you finding Wattpad btw? Seems to be an interesting idea.

They were just standard form rejections with no feedback.

I've dabbled in scriptwriting over the years, it can vary with sometimes a quick write and other times seems to drag. Only ever sent two scripts out but neither went anywhere.

I'd never heard of Wattpad until started reading Mark Lawrences' Gunlaw on there and then I took a look around and so thought I'd give it a go.

Online cupiscent

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2015, 08:01:10 AM »
Is 125k large for the US market? I though 120-125k was a pretty standard fantasy novel length.

I would tend to agree - certainly, it's around the length of a lot of books I've enjoyed. But I've had one agent respond with "like the sound of it, love the comparison titles, but my hard upper limit for debut novels is 110k words, I prefer 100k", which makes me wonder whether any of the other rejections or silences are because of word-length. On the other hand, clearly not a problem for those agents who've requested. (Or is it? Maybe the length is a problem but they're interested in the work despite it. Impossible to know unless they come back with feedback at some point. This process is so full of wracked nerves and second guesses.)

Offline Phil Norris

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2015, 04:04:02 PM »
Chapter 2 of Gypsies Kiss: The Ballad of Toby Jones is now live on Wattpad, I've posted a link in the thread below.

All comments/feedback welcome.

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/advertising-your-novels/gypsies-kiss-the-ballad-of-toby-jones-on-wattpad/

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2015, 01:40:53 AM »

Argh, that must have been so disappointing when it turned out to be a vanity press :( So many people get fleeced by groups like that. Always good to check them out on Writer Beware: http://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/writer-beware/ and places like the Absolute Write forum background check board: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?22-Bewares-Recommendations-amp-Background-Check

This may be of interest as a cautionary tale re vanity publishers.

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/backgroundbriefing/the-vanity-presses/6759616?utm_content=buffer05b36&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2015, 08:50:41 AM »
Somehow found my way into the role of one of three editors for an upcoming anthology. Our writer's group has been going for 30 years so we invited all past and present members to submit something. Should be fantastic, especially as we have a number of well-known traditionally published novelists and a heap of people with published short stories submitting something.
Finding it interesting being on the other side of the coin for a change, but it is a lot of work.

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2015, 06:38:59 PM »
That's fantastic.

Any particular theme?

In my own writing adventures, a publication has published one of my stories before I've returned the contract. In fact, I still haven't received the contract. The last contact I had with them was in September when I told them I hadn't received it.

I am... disappointed with this.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2015, 09:17:29 AM »
That's fantastic.

Any particular theme?

In my own writing adventures, a publication has published one of my stories before I've returned the contract. In fact, I still haven't received the contract. The last contact I had with them was in September when I told them I hadn't received it.

I am... disappointed with this.

No special theme, planning on including a wide selection of genre to represent the writers and fiction that have come through the Glasgow SF Writers' Circle.

Congrats on getting your story published! :)
With regards to contracts, in my experience some of the micro-presses and smaller magazines can get a little...lax. Sometimes I've not even had a contract at all. (beyond a few emails, which could have potentially put them in a sticky situation) But as long as they've paid I just shrug, shake my head, and get on with things. Those contracts are there to set out and protect the rights of publishers (otherwise the author can pull it at any moment/demand they immediately stop printing or publishing it etc)

If they haven't paid or if you are due future anthology royalties or something then that's a whole different and worrying matter.

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2015, 05:25:31 PM »
That's nice. Maybe we'll have something similar come out of this place eventually! :)

Yeah, no payment yet. It's a token market and a very small payment but... y'know. Principles. I've pinged them an e-mail. Not overly upset as long as I get paid. Thanks for the congratulations, of course!

Anyway, if anyone is interested It's here, from The Colored Lens.

The audio version of my story The Mothgate has come out today as well. Hooray for beautiful monsters! This is a much needed pick me up to be honest. I've been struggling with finding the time to write of late so this has come at a good time.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 05:27:25 PM by JRTroughton »

Offline JRTroughton

« Reply #73 on: December 01, 2015, 08:21:04 PM »
When someone says "We just need a few more days" and then two weeks pass without more info, is it time to get out your harpoon or do you gnaw at your knuckles some more?

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #74 on: December 02, 2015, 10:11:54 AM »
When someone says "We just need a few more days" and then two weeks pass without more info, is it time to get out your harpoon or do you gnaw at your knuckles some more?

Since they've already published it...with no contract or payment...I think it's entirely acceptable to be pissed off about it now. 'Paid upon publication' does not equal paid weeks afterwards. As it's now December I'd email them again, being polite but firm.  At the end of the day, you are perfectly within your rights to report the magazine for copyright infringement on Amazon (which they are wide open to without a returned contract, or indeed, payment).

Of course, won't do you any good at all to be an arse about it (not that you will), but you have been reasonable and are now being reasonably annoyed.