September 18, 2019, 04:57:38 PM

Author Topic: Oh Wow: May 7th Split worlds LARP Ball in Bath  (Read 1170 times)

Offline Rostum

Oh Wow: May 7th Split worlds LARP Ball in Bath
« on: April 16, 2016, 10:20:50 PM »
I can see them having some real fun with this. Great potential to use Emma's excellent world building to weave a story for the night.

http://www.splitworlds.com/enter-the-split-worlds
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 12:57:54 AM by Rostum »

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Re: Oh Wow: May 7th Split worlds LARP Ball in Bath
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 05:01:52 PM »
@Nora, dream date? ;)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Victoria Hooper

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 10:54:05 AM »
This was indeed a lot of fun!  ;D

I won't post any of the group photos here, just in case people don't want their picture posting here, but I can post some of mine:

(Photo by Beth Dooner)

(Photo by Tom Garnett)

I can't really post about what happened on the night, as there are quite a few spoilers for later books involved. But I can say that I CAN'T WAIT for book 4!  ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 10:55:38 AM by Victoria Hooper »

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 11:11:00 AM »
Oh.My.Gawd!
You look AMAZING!!!!! :D

Where did you get the dress, is it a theatre shop?

@Nora, come see this! ;D
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - Douglas Adams

Offline Rostum

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 11:23:30 AM »
You look fantastic Victoria. Was it well attended? was it worth the trouble and cost? Is this going to be a regular event?

Offline Victoria Hooper

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 01:48:55 PM »
Aww thanks guys!  ;D

Where did you get the dress, is it a theatre shop?

I actually had a lot of trouble finding a dress, then I found someone who could make one for me for a really good price, so I had it made! (Community Wardrobe in Nottingham - they are amazing, so if anyone who lives nearby is ever looking for a costume, defo go see them!). The skirt bit is separate from the, er, overdress bit(?) so I'm planning to use the overdress with leggings and big boots for a pirate costume for Halloween etc.

Was it well attended? was it worth the trouble and cost? Is this going to be a regular event?

Yeah it was pretty well attended - all the tickets sold out!  :) I think it was definitely worth the cost, though of course you could do it relatively cheaply or VERY expensive, depending on budget. We managed to cut costs quite a bit by DIYing some costume stuff (John's hat in the pic above is a cheap floppy hat from the high street, pinned up and with fluffy trim sewn on, and most of the rest of his costume came from Primark (black leggings, girls white socks, girls frilly shirt etc). I know a lot of people made their costumes (such amazing skills on show at the ball, seriously!). We got a fun day, afternoon tea, the masked ball and the LARP itself and a trip to Bath out of it, and I've always wanted to visit Bath too so that was great.

You could be as involved or laid back at the ball as you liked, and there were some brilliant staged moments to add to all the little stories that were going on around you. Also some appearances by the Fae and characters from the books, who were amazing in their roles! I was genuinely a bit scared of Lord Poppy.

I thought Emma and Katie did such a great job of inter-weaving all the storylines too, which worked well. This was my first ever LARP, so I was super nervous, but I think I could take on a bigger role at a future one. The whole day from start to finish felt quite hectic to me, and I think I would have preferred a bit more time between day and evening events to sort out hair (I'm terrible at anything to do with hair, so I need plenty of time to mess up several times before I get it right) and get into the costume (all those laces at the back of those dresses are insane!). But yeah, good time and a really unique experience, and met some lovely lovely people.

I'm not sure if this will be a regular event, but loads of people have been saying that they'd like to do another event in the future, so perhaps if we ask Emma enough times there might be another opportunity to play around in her world.  :)