April 29, 2017, 10:27:50 AM

Author Topic: GollanczFest - UK  (Read 2611 times)

Online Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
Re: GollanczFest - UK
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 12:49:28 PM »
Yup the Grim Gathering. If it follows last years format you get more than 3 hours of panel Q&A, book signing, beer with authors and then the best bit breakfast (Pig variations in grease) with those attending from FF. By far the best signing I have ever attended. Seriously the morning after was well worth it to meet and just chill with those who attended.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 12:51:43 PM by Rostum »

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 01:00:15 PM »
Yeah exactly, sounds like it'd be worth the trip since there's more than just a few talks happening. I think I saw Overlord mention that they might try to organise a two-day event, which would be even better!
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 09:54:33 PM »
Well, all tickets fully sold out.

However, there are a few events where apparently you don't need to be there (I think).
I've submitted a question each for Scott Lynch and Elizabeth Bear, who are having a Google hangouts event on Saturday at 12.30
(and I've just realised I won't be home at that time, I hope it'll be available for replay, or at least have a transcription online afterwards)

http://www.gollancz.co.uk/2015/10/the-gollancz-festival-2015-digital-events/
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Offline ScarletBea

• Positive Invisible Fighter - and bringer of Cake. 2nd in Command of the Writing Contest
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 02:49:39 PM »
Ooooh
Hangouts with Scott Lynch and Elizabeth Bear here

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0KSd4C3L9s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0KSd4C3L9s</a>

and they read my questions :D although poor Scott misunderstood me: I didn't say I didn't like Lies, just that I read it at the wrong time and with the wrong expectations!

Mine are between minutes 15'45" and 24'

Also, Scott, if you come read this, trust me: I will re-read Lies one day and love it, even if you allowed me to not like it ;)
And Scott is calling Elizabeth all those lovey-dovey names, I didn't write them ;)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!
"A book is as dangerous as any journey you might take. The person who closes the back cover may not be the same one that opened the front one." Mark Lawrence ("Red Sister")

Offline Overlord

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2015, 09:07:14 AM »
Yeah I don't think we'll bother with GollanczFest, we've only read one or two of the authors there anyway, and it doesn't sound like it'd be as much fun as the Grim Gathering. We'll have to see about GG, guess we'll have to wait until the dates get announced and all that!

There will be AT LEAST one Grim gathering in 2016, currently the plan is for two. Just looking for a second venue. :-)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 09:11:14 AM »
Yeah I don't think we'll bother with GollanczFest, we've only read one or two of the authors there anyway, and it doesn't sound like it'd be as much fun as the Grim Gathering. We'll have to see about GG, guess we'll have to wait until the dates get announced and all that!

There will be AT LEAST one Grim gathering in 2016, currently the plan is for two. Just looking for a second venue. :-)
Awesome, can't wait!
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2015, 09:53:32 PM »

I volunteer my backyard in Maryland, USA.

Shhh. Don't tell my wife.   :-X
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Raptori

• Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2015, 10:00:31 PM »

I volunteer my backyard in Maryland, USA.

Shhh. Don't tell my wife.   :-X
FYI, posts on F-F are legally binding. See you next year.  ;)

Offline Matt Knott

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 03:27:16 PM »
Wanted to give a quick thanks to the OP for this thread.

I was in town for a work event that Sunday and found it really interesting. Joe Abercrombie was a cool guy with some really great advice and I got to talk to Joe Hill for a bit.

There was a lot of common sense advice given like it was eldritch wisdom at times, but also a lot of really interesting knowledge.

Tags: