April 02, 2020, 07:57:29 AM

Author Topic: Fantasy in the Court  (Read 2640 times)

Offline AnnaStephens

Fantasy in the Court
« on: July 28, 2016, 01:17:48 PM »
Hi

Anyone going to this year's Fantasy in the Court? 11 August, 6-9pm, tickets £5, it's at Goldsboro Books in London.

Authors attending:

Mark de Jager, Simon Kurt Unsworth, Mike Brooks, Lucy Hounsom, Genevieve Cogman, Adrian Tchaikovsky, Vic James, Claire North, M R Carey, Maria Lewis, Liz de Jager, John Gwynne, Tom Lloyd, A J Smith, Jason Arnopp, Rob Boffard, Paul M.M. Cooper, Den Patrick, Al Robertson, Edward Cox, Sebastien de Castell, Angela Slatter, Jen Williams, Tom Toner, James Barclay, Robert Dickinson, Matthew Blakstad, Brian Catling, Gemma Todd

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
Re: Fantasy in the Court
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 01:32:22 PM »
Meeeee! I'm on the list now and everything.

Fantasy in the Court is one of my favourite events, mainly because it requires me to do very little other than turn up, have a chat, and drink wine. Very casual, very friendly.

Will be great to meet you, Anna!

Offline Rostum

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 06:26:32 PM »
Maybe, if someone is daft enough to employ me before then. I went to last years. My recommendation would be if you are looking to get books signed take them with you. Goldsboro had a limited choice a lot were pre signed or numbered copies at prices that reflected that. The free alcohol was a nice bonus though.
Don't rush to be there early a big gang ( maybe a Scriven?) of authors went for food 10 minutes before the start at the last one.

From last year:

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/fantasy-book-discussion/fantasy-in-the-court-8246/msg109503/#msg109503
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 06:44:10 PM by Rostum »

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 01:24:45 PM »
Awesome Jen, can't wait to meet you! I may have a bookywook for you to put your name to, too!

I went to DHH's summer party at Goldsboro last month and they do a very nice line in pink fizz - hoping for more of the same!

Anna  ;D

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 01:38:39 PM »
Awesome Jen, can't wait to meet you! I may have a bookywook for you to put your name to, too!

I went to DHH's summer party at Goldsboro last month and they do a very nice line in pink fizz - hoping for more of the same!

Anna  ;D

Oh brilliant! And I am quite partial to pink fizz myself :D

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 11:38:14 AM »
So, Fantasy in the Court was awesome!

I met lots of lovely authors, including Jen Williams - hi, Jen! - Edward Cox, Tom Pollock (for about 30 seconds), Adrian Selby, Liz de Jager and Mark de Jager (who I already know). I missed Tom Lloyd, which was a shame and would have loved to chat longer with Tom Pollock, but I plan on cornering them next time.  :D

I learned lots, including that I need an elevator pitch for my novel prior to it coming out, that I can claim back travel expenses and tickets for conventions if I put it down as 'networking' (genius) and that I need to amend my Twitter name from my married name to my author name to avoid confusion.

I also got a picture of a dragon drawn in The Copper Promise and a picture of a skull drawn in Infernal - one happy fan.

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 01:40:30 PM »

I met lots of lovely authors, including Jen Williams - hi, Jen! - Edward Cox, Tom Pollock (for about 30 seconds), Adrian Selby, Liz de Jager and Mark de Jager (who I already know). I missed Tom Lloyd, which was a shame and would have loved to chat longer with Tom Pollock, but I plan on cornering them next time.  :D

I learned lots, including that I need an elevator pitch for my novel prior to it coming out, that I can claim back travel expenses and tickets for conventions if I put it down as 'networking' (genius) and that I need to amend my Twitter name from my married name to my author name to avoid confusion.

I also got a picture of a dragon drawn in The Copper Promise and a picture of a skull drawn in Infernal - one happy fan.

It was lovely to meet you! And again, apologies for asking the worst of all questions: 'so what is your book about?' ;)

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 01:47:50 PM »

It was lovely to meet you! And again, apologies for asking the worst of all questions: 'so what is your book about?' ;)

Hah, yes, I wasn't quite ready for the elevator pitch moment either. Thanks Peter Newman!

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 01:58:36 PM »

Hah, yes, I wasn't quite ready for the elevator pitch moment either. Thanks Peter Newman!

It's revenge you see, for all the times we get asked :D
The Copper Promise

http://sennydreadful.co.uk/

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 02:34:50 PM »
Oh youuu!! *shakes fist*

This new book I'm writing started with the elevator pitch, so that won't happen again :p Now that all of this anthology reading and editing and copy editing I've been doing is over with I can actually get it written down.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 03:02:33 PM »

It taught me a very valuable lesson! And actually, while I'm waiting for final edits to hit my inbox, it's the perfect opportunity to come up with something.

Right... erm.... okay, anyone have any ideas?

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2016, 03:03:22 PM »
Actually, I recently read Save the Cat by Blake Snyder - it's a great book for all sorts of reasons, but particularly excellent for helping to figure out an elevator pitch :)