December 14, 2019, 11:46:34 PM

Author Topic: Conventions 2017  (Read 2453 times)

Offline CameronJohnston

Conventions 2017
« on: January 25, 2017, 09:18:07 AM »
SF Conventions 2017

So what writer/Science Fictions cons are people going to this year? I've grabbed a list of the main UK-based ones (and Helsinki) than I know of. I know some people are off to Helsinki for WorldCon this year, but I think I will only be going to EasterCon this year.

EasterCon: 14-17 April, Birmingham, http://eastercon2017.uk/

EdgeLit: 15th July, Derby, http://www.derbyquad.co.uk/film/edge-lit-6.aspx

Nine Worlds: 4-6 August, London, https://nineworlds.co.uk/

WorldCon: 9-13 August, Helsinki, http://www.helsinkiin2017.org/

FantasyCon: 29th September - 1st October, Peterborough, https://www.hwsevents.co.uk/ and https://www.facebook.com/groups/fantasycon/

BristolCon: October 28, http://www.bristolcon.org/?page_id=4506?

Fantasy Faction Con - ???

Any others that people are going along to?

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline AnnaStephens

Re: Conventions 2017
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 08:12:27 AM »
Goldsboro Books should be doing Fantasy in the Court again in August, I think. It's only an evening event rather than a proper con, but I went last year and had a great time, made some invaluable contacts - Ed Cox and @sennydreadful being two. Also chatted with Tom Pollock and Adrian Selby, met some agents and editors - it's a really useful networking event. And it's a minimal cost entry, as well.

I'll be going this year as an author - cue the flailing!  ;D

Anna

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 09:13:10 AM »
Goldsboro Books should be doing Fantasy in the Court again in August, I think. It's only an evening event rather than a proper con, but I went last year and had a great time, made some invaluable contacts - Ed Cox and @sennydreadful being two. Also chatted with Tom Pollock and Adrian Selby, met some agents and editors - it's a really useful networking event. And it's a minimal cost entry, as well.

I'll be going this year as an author - cue the flailing!  ;D

Anna
I'll keep an eye out for that one but am unlikely to go myself.

Flail away! I think most established authors remember what those debut years were like and try to help out. Well done on meeting Ed and Jen - they are wonderful people: funny and full of heart and totally happy to discuss the pitfalls and tribulations of the publishing process with new authors :)

Offline sennydreadful

• Ambient Mage
  • Fantasy Writer and X-Box Obsessive
    • View Profile
    • sennydreadful.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 12:36:20 PM »
*jumps into thread to look bashful*

Aw shucks!

I will almost definitely be at Fantasy in the Court (it's practically my favourite event because it's standing around drinking and chatting), definitely Bristolcon because I am a guest of honour  :o :o :o and hopefully will be at Fantasycon and EdgeLit.  ;D

Offline DaveEllis

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 02:22:35 PM »
I was definitely going to FantasyCon because I loved it last year but seeing it is in Peterborough hasn't ignited my imagination much.

I might consider BristolCon as it looks fun.

I can only do one though as most of my money/annual leave goes on music festivals rather than literary.

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 01:19:07 PM »
I'm going to Edge-Lit and Nine Worlds and probably Fantasycon this year. Time to get my game face on and confront my fear of discussing my novel: 'What's it about?' Me: 'No idea.'

Congrats on being GoH, Jen - that's awesome! Can't wait for The Ninth Rain.

Anna

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 01:48:09 PM »
Congratulations Jen!

Time to get my game face on and confront my fear of discussing my novel: 'What's it about?' Me: 'No idea.'
Ha! I thought it was just me. My editor loves my book, hates my synopsis, and laughs when I tell her I can't even talk about it without sounding like Brad Pitt in 12 Monkeys.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 02:27:27 PM »
Definitely not just you. I think one of the reasons I find it difficult to talk about is that I've worked in a law firm for nearly ten years and you just can't discuss epic fantasy with lawyers - that's a huge generalisation, I know, but that's been my experience with that group of people.

I've spent a long time saying "Oh, it's just fantasy" to questions about it, as though I'm apologising for it. Now I have to stand up and be proud of it - "It's fantasy. No it's not like Harry Potter, it's about war and death and sacrifice and mental health and bigotry and it's bloody brilliant, thank you very much for not sneering at me!"

Sorry, got carried away there!

But there seems to be a perception that fantasy isn't 'real' writing, and that drives me mad. I learnt more about duty and honour and friendship and love and sacrifice from fantasy than I ever did from highbrow literature - which also completely has its place in the canon.

Um, I think I may have wandered off topic, somewhat. What was this thread about again? Oh yes, conventions. Right. I'll shut up now...

Anna   :P

Offline The Gem Cutter

• Captain Analogy
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
  • We've exhausted all possibilities - time to begin.
    • View Profile
    • The Gem Cutter Tales
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 03:52:57 PM »
Curious if any / how many here attend DragonCon in Atlanta? I live in the neighborhood and was curious how many F-F members are attending this summer.
The Gem Cutter
"Each time, there is the same problem: do I dare? And then if you do dare, the dangers are there, and the help also, and the fulfillment or the fiasco. There's always the possibility of a fiasco. But there's also the possibility of bliss." - Joseph Campbell

Offline youandibooks

• Tribute
  • Silence is a true friend who never betrays
    • View Profile
    • You and I Books
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 01:13:15 AM »
I have been to invited to FantasyCon by an author. I have never been to a convention before. Could anyone give me a brief summary of what to expect and what sort of things happen? I need to analyse if it is worth traveling to Peterborough. Any comments would be really appreciated. Thank you.
"You see I usually find myself among strangers because I drift here and there trying to forget the sad things that have happened to me." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Check out my blog - www.youandibooks.wordpress.com
Check out my reviews - www.fantasybookreview.co.uk
Twitter - @youandibooks

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 08:17:23 AM »
I have been to invited to FantasyCon by an author. I have never been to a convention before. Could anyone give me a brief summary of what to expect and what sort of things happen? I need to analyse if it is worth traveling to Peterborough. Any comments would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Hi

I did Fantasycon last year and it was my first con, too!

It was loads of fun! If you decide to go, look at the event programme (when it's up on the website) and decide which panels/workshops/talks/launches you want to attend. Last year it was spread over two hotels, so we did a lot of running back and forth to get to the appropriate places. I'm guessing if an author has invited you that you'll want to attend whatever panels they're on, so build your programme around those.

And don't forget to build in time for food and networking too! I could've done 10am to 10pm every day last year, but I sacrificed a few panels in order to meet people in the bar and chat and network, and that was really useful.

I went with my husband as I didn't know who would be there and how much time they'd have to hang out, so if you can take a friend/spouse it's helpful so you're not on your own. That said, everyone I met was genuinely lovely, so we hung out with a variety of people all weekend.

It was boozy, booky and bloody great.

Anna

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 12:54:07 PM »
A lot of it depends on how social you are as a person, if you are quite happy to wander up to random folk at the bar and start a discussion then you'll probably spend a lot of time at the bar hanging out with a mix of writers, editors, agents and fans.
That person is not me, but I did know people from my writing group and via Twitter.

Usually there is a 'newbies' panel early on the Friday/Saturday to try and introduce new conners to each other so they will know people around the convention.

Along with the discussion panels there are usually a number of guest interviews and kaffeeklatsch (stick an author in a room with 10-20 folk that signed to ask them questions), which can be entertaining and revealing.

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 02:05:22 PM »
So THAT's what kaffeeklatsch means! I've never known and always been too embarrassed to ask!  :o

Ironically, I was in the one with Scott Lynch and Elizabeth Bear at Fantasycon last year.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 02:31:49 PM »
It literally means 'gossip over coffee' :p Not that I knew that first con I went to of course, even if I was in one with Joe Abercrombie and another with Robin Hobb.

AHHH, I bet that one was amazing! Sorry I missed it.

Offline AnnaStephens

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 04:49:38 PM »
Being a con newbie myself, I had no idea what was going on, so I rocked up to it only to be told that because I hadn't booked in advance, which I didn't know I needed to, I wouldn't be allowed in unless the last person on the list didn't show up.

They didn't. What a session to miss!

It was amazing. They were eloquent, knowledgeable, funny. Absolutely fab.