March 25, 2017, 07:41:37 PM

Author Topic: We might have a slight MTG problem at work  (Read 1716 times)

Offline m3mnoch

We might have a slight MTG problem at work
« on: August 24, 2015, 07:22:26 PM »
walked in today and found this at a coworker's desk.

Offline Alex Hormann

Re: We might have a slight MTG problem at work
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 07:25:07 PM »
Depends how you define 'problem'.  :P

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 07:30:57 PM »
 :o
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 07:35:06 PM »
I hope your co-worker is actually developing a MTG game or rip-off.   :o
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 07:48:02 PM »
heh.  for a few years, there were about a dozen of us who played weekly.  we'd all split the cost of boxes.

apparently, this weekend was the time to bring all the boxes in and start building forts.

Zanmato

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 07:57:24 PM »
Damn! This is so impressive and frightening at the same time... :o
Spoiler for Hiden:
In fact, I would have such collection if I had extra cash. :P
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 07:59:19 PM by Zanmato »

Online Lanko

• Writing Contest Regular, Sherlanko Holmes and Jiin Wei
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 11:06:47 PM »
I feel so envious.

Although I'm more of a Vorthos player (yeah, seriously) so if I can just read the cards on my image viewer, I'm happy.

I have a crapload of cards of Ravnica, and stopped at Time Spiral block, and really need to resist the urge to play again when they launched Return to Ravnica.
“I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.”

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 11:54:44 PM »
I feel so envious.

Although I'm more of a Vorthos player (yeah, seriously) so if I can just read the cards on my image viewer, I'm happy.

I have a crapload of cards of Ravnica, and stopped at Time Spiral block, and really need to resist the urge to play again when they launched Return to Ravnica.

nice.  i'm a johnny, myself.  most famously, back in the day, my friend and i had a pair of team decks -- all blue -- filled with counter spells, leviathans, and twiddles.  you know.  just 'cause.

and we were wholly unafraid of sacrificing anything.

yeah, we pounded the ungodly hell out of other players.

heh.  good times.

Online Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 09:32:17 PM »
I feel so envious.

nice.  i'm a johnny, myself.  most famously, back in the day, my friend and i had a pair of team decks -- all blue -- filled with counter spells, leviathans, and twiddles.  you know.  just 'cause.

heh.  good times.

Hah, my main deck was a Green/Black based on the Golgari guild. My favorite guild of Ravnica, also. My friend liked the Dimir and made an extremely annoying U/B with 10 counterspells, 8 creature removal, a bunch of fliers and some other annoying crap. Eventually I kept buying boosters to have very good casual decks for every combination, even UWGBR.

Our battles were balanced, even with the Golgari Dredge mechanic, which even if the creature was countered, it would come back anyway. The problem was removing his heavy hitters sitting behind a wall of counterspells. Mostly the games were decided if I could tap his mana out or bait/force a counter on something else other than a removal spell. I think there was a game I had to use 2 removals to force counters, tapping him out of mana and finally making the third one kill the damn thing.

Then Time Spiral came along and totally shifted the balance because I got these gems to play against him and he couldn't do anything:

Oh, and since this is Fantasy-Faction, did I also mentioned I have read all Magic:The Gathering novels? From Urza's Artifact Cycle all the way to the invasion of Phyrexia, Karn making Mirrodin and I have the physical copies of the Ravnica's books. Hah.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 09:34:37 PM by Lanko »
“I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.”

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 09:55:31 PM »
Do you know Guardians? That's a funny TCG with really cool cards.
The Shadowrun TCG is quit cool too. I did play MTG but my massive collections are Shadowrun and Guardians. :)

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Zanmato

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 09:57:39 AM »
I feel so envious.

heh.  good times.

Hah, my main deck was a Green/Black based on the Golgari guild. My favorite guild of Ravnica, also. My friend liked the Dimir and made an extremely annoying U/B with 10 counterspells, 8 creature removal, a bunch of fliers and some other annoying crap. Eventually I kept buying boosters to have very good casual decks for every combination, even UWGBR.

Our battles were balanced, even with the Golgari Dredge mechanic, which even if the creature was countered, it would come back anyway. The problem was removing his heavy hitters sitting behind a wall of counterspells. Mostly the games were decided if I could tap his mana out or bait/force a counter on something else other than a removal spell. I think there was a game I had to use 2 removals to force counters, tapping him out of mana and finally making the third one kill the damn thing.

Then Time Spiral came along and totally shifted the balance because I got these gems to play against him and he couldn't do anything:

Oh, and since this is Fantasy-Faction, did I also mentioned I have read all Magic:The Gathering novels? From Urza's Artifact Cycle all the way to the invasion of Phyrexia, Karn making Mirrodin and I have the physical copies of the Ravnica's books. Hah.

I'd like to see the Future Sight frame (with improvements, of course) as the new standard frame for Magic cards - it looks so fabulous! *w*

If I recall correctly, some MTG novels were released and translated in Poland but they're like white crows these days.
Let me show these title in the spoiler below.

Spoiler for Hiden:
1. "Arena" by William R. Forstchen
2. "Bratobojcza wojna" ("The Brothers' War") by Jeff Grubb
3. "Burza nad Rath" ("Rath and Storm") by Various Writers
4. "I zasnie pokoj" ("And Peace Shall Sleep") by Sonia Orin Lyris
5. "Linie krwi" ("Bloodlines") by Loren L. Coleman
6. "Mag marnotrawny" ("The Prodigal Sorcerer") by Mark Sumner
7. "Maski Mercadii" ("Mercadian Masques") by Francis Lebaron
8. "Mroczne dziedzictwo" ("Dark Legacy") by Robert E. Vardeman
9. "Nemezis" (Nemesis") by Paul B. Thompson
10. "Ostateczne poswiecenie" ("Final Sacriface") by Clayton Emery
11. "Popioly slonca" ("Ashes of the Sun") by Braddock Hanovi
12. "Proroctwo" ("Prophecy") by Vance Moore
13. "Przekleta kraina" ("The Cursed Land") by Teri McLaren
14. "Strumienie czasu" ("Time Streams") by J. Robert King
15. "Szepczacy las" ("Whispering Woods") by Clayton Emery
16. "Wedrowiec" ("Planeswalker") by Lynn Abbey
17. "Zerwane okowy" ("Shattered Chains") by Clayton Emery
You know what's funny and confusing? The Polish version of MTG Basic Rulebook describe Planeswalker as "Obiezyswiat" but the books say "Wedrowiec" - I think the second form is more appropriate since it's an official translation while the Rulebook's translation is not (it was made by a former Polish publisher of MTG - ISA.pl).

One more question - Why the Polish letters aren't displayed correctly here? Writing Polish titles really hurts due to this issue. ;-;
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:03:38 AM by Zanmato »

Offline xiagan

• Writing Contest Organizer
  • Powers That Be
  • Dragonrider
  • Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Fictional Times
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 10:08:51 PM »
Some Guardians cards:
Spoiler for Hiden:

"Sire, I had no need of that hypothesis." (Laplace)

Online Lanko

• Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2016, 10:20:04 PM »
That's hilarious, I laughed here seeing that second card  ;D

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2016, 10:32:34 PM »
santa's beer sled ftw!

Zanmato

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2016, 12:18:52 PM »
What do you think about Shadows over Innistrad and upcoming Eldritch Moon?
I'm glad that our old, well-known companions returned (Sorin and Nahiri) but I'm disappointed with Jace being the main guy - he's like John Cena of this game! >:(
I'd be glad to have Liliana and/or Tamiyo (I hope she'd be in SOI since Tamiyo's Journal is there) in EMN, especially as main characters - that would be awesome! :D

Tags: