August 06, 2020, 04:36:50 PM

Author Topic: You Say You've Always Wanted to Write a Novel...  (Read 909 times)

Offline abatch

You Say You've Always Wanted to Write a Novel...
« on: December 08, 2019, 07:24:55 PM »
What's stopping you? What's preventing you from making that leap from fantasy fan to fantasy creator?

Offline isos81

Re: You Say You've Always Wanted to Write a Novel...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 08:07:51 PM »
Time, mostly.. :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 08:38:42 PM »
I don’t need to write one I live in one. I fight the good fight against the Brandonbot with only my trusty sidekick isos81 alongside me.

I’ve seen some good friends fallen to the Sanderson curse,  I was just to late to save inky from himself. It will haunt me to my dying days.

It’s just terrible seeing the gateway Sanderson  mistborn novels hooking innocent souls and seeing them trying harder stuff like the storm light archive breaks my heart.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 08:46:43 PM by Eclipse »
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Online ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 09:08:58 PM »
Personally, I never really wanted to write, I'm happy being just a reader.
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Bender

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 09:27:33 PM »
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 11:00:19 PM »
Confidence, really. Maybe energy too.

Time I have or could make it if I really wished to. I certainly make it for a lot of other things. Talent? Talent is overrated. Constant practice will build up craft and style much more than any muse.

Time enters the equation under a different measurement, I think. The amount of time required, specially for a beginner, who'll most likely come across advice, "rules" and whatever of all kinds all the time, to create ONE work, can be deterring, specially if you have a lot of obligations out there and is mostly by yourself to make ends meet.
Better do something "useful" that earns more and is less risky. These doubts may erase whatever is left of your will to do it.

Since writing novels do not have a "school" like business, architecture and the other visual arts, learning it "properly" will mostly be an adventure by itself with plenty of trial and error thanks to the all kinds of stuff out there I mentioned earlier.

But this doesn't make just writing harder, but it makes the other part of being a writer almost invisible: the career.
Besides one idea for a story, what else will you do next? If you're going traditional, do you know at least the basics of the ins and outs? If you do make the cut, you're gonna have to at least deliver one book a year, and hope it's good enough to keep you there. Even if it IS good, it might still not be enough for various unpredictable reasons, unless you really hit the magical spot and can get more leeway.
If you're going self published, you'll need even more faith and specially energy to publish AND market it around, arrange covers, editors, etc, and your output will most likely need to be higher than one book a year on average.

Eh... just do it and worry about it later? Well, this might work for some... or paralyze others by the lack of direction.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 02:00:53 PM by Lanko »
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 01:21:36 AM »
I’m happy that I am a writer, though I have yet to write a novel.  What’s stopping me is both time and confidence.

Time is a matter of having truly higher priorities: mostly, spending time with Mrs. JMack and, also, earning a living. I have a time-consuming job and commute. I enjoy it, and I’m paid well.

Confidence is trickier to understand. I can write a 1,500 or 5,000 word short story, and give myself permission for it not be perfect. I’m writing with the time I’m willing to give it, so I accept the limitations. But a novel? It needs to be better and hang together in ways my short stories don’t have to.

I do keep saying “one day”, and usually follow that with “when I retire.” The reality is that I’m happy writing, but I don’t have to write to be happy.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2019, 02:13:07 AM »

The struggle is real. *fistbump*

Offline isos81

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2019, 07:31:33 AM »
and talent.  :-\

That, too :)

But I prefer to say I do not have time when I actually do not have talent at all :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline S. K. Inkslinger

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2019, 08:08:33 AM »
and talent.  :-\

That, too :)

But I prefer to say I do not have time when I actually do not have talent at all :)

Don't punish yourself too harshly with your words, my friend.  ;)

Seriously though, writing your own work is kind of overrated. Despite calling myself a writer I spent most of my days doing other things, with writing being a glorified hobby whenever an idea happened to pop inside my head. No one anywhere would accept my works (well, except me, of course), and you're stuck with the reviews of your readers (being able to only remember their negative remarks mostly), and stuck with the fact that you're never going to be as good as Patrick Rothfuss or Banderbot or something like that. I went and delete the folder that contained all of the things I've written up until now after an emotional outburst, I'm still trying and failing to recover those files, haha.