September 22, 2019, 07:16:04 AM

Author Topic: Deciding whether my book should be self-published or not.  (Read 879 times)

Offline Newway12

I have a book I've been working on. It's unconventional in that it has illustrations in the book. If I go the traditional publisher route I probably won't get much control over stuff like cover and interior art right? 
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 02:47:11 PM by Newway12 »

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: Deciding whether my book should be self-published or not.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 02:53:25 PM »
Why would you think that? You don't always get to pick who does your cover art, but I know a guy who published with several illustrations from a friend of his, and the very popular books from Mary Brennan have a lot of great illustrations in it which are part of the hype around her books. Unconventional books are harder to publish, maybe... But it can't really hurt to try.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 03:41:09 PM »
This thread (posted some time back) has some interesting pros and cons on the topic of self-publishing. Worth a read!

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/self-publishing-discussion/why-i-don't-generally-recommend-self-publishing/

Offline Onisaki

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 07:46:25 AM »
I have benefited from your information a lot.

Offline AuthorGuy

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2017, 12:29:48 AM »
The cover art is created by the publisher, but the interior art is part of the product and would be as the author requires, provided they have the rights to the art in question. I've seen some novels with art in them, some children's books and some adult adventure stories. Not as unusual as you might think.

Offline Steve Harrison

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2017, 02:34:23 AM »
It depends on the publisher. Mine was a small company and I had a great deal of input into the cover design (including my kindergarten-standard drawn suggestion) and final say on any suggested editorial changes. In fact, I was surprised at how much control I was given, as I had previously though that once they buy the book, they can do what they like.

I doubt it would be the same with major publishers, but I think the smaller ones have fewer resources and are very happy for considerable author input.

Self-publishing is the only way to have total control, though, but it's nice having access to free professional editorial and artistic services.

Offline abatch

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 08:42:35 PM »
Self publishing also guarantees your book will even get published, and it'll be out faster.