January 20, 2020, 06:32:10 AM

Author Topic: Comedic fantasy novella: Crux Skullcrusher and the Definitely Evil Sword  (Read 1619 times)

Offline itsmevichet

Cover art credit to Grinning Feline - https://www.facebook.com/GrinningFeline/

Hey all! My name is Vichet Ou, and I'm a new author of comedic fantasy in the tradition of Terry Pratchett. I'm writing fantasy for the gig-economy generation. Think Lord of the Rings meets The Office, and add in the self-serious-silliness of The Venture Bros.

I wanted to post my free novella of 12,000 words, Crux Skullcrusher and the Definitely Evil Sword, for your amusement and/or revulsion.

Here's a blurb:

Crux Skullcrusher, Priya the Bard, and Gorlach Eaglefist are hot on the tail of Tyberion the Hoarder and his fabled thievings. But, when they sneak into his hideout, all they find is a sword named Malphior. Oh, and it's definitely evil. And it talks a lot. And its resale value probably can't cover their expenses.

Mild danger ensues.

You can get it in multiple formats at my website for free here:

https://www.vichetou.com/shorts

And if you like my work or just want to tell me that I write bad and should feel bad, do so on Facebook and/or Twitter:

www.facebook.com/itsmevichet
www.twitter.com/itsmevichet

Hope you enjoy!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 03:36:46 PM by itsmevichet »
Vichet Ou
Author of the Cruxverse
Composer of Email Signatures
Writer of Too Many Lines
Beater of Dead Horses

Online isos81

Novel Title: Crux Skullcrusher and the Definitely Evil Sword

Very interesting title :)
Kallor shrugged. 'I've walked this land when the T'lan Imass were but children. I've commanded armies a hundred thousand strong. I've spread the fire of my wrath across entire continents, and sat alone upon tall thrones. Do you grasp the meaning of this?'

'Yes' said Caladan Brood. 'You never learn'

Offline Bender

Comedic Fantasy! I don't recall reading any in this sub genre.

You have my attention.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
@Bender, a recc in that genre is David MacPherson with Here be dragons. It's a super book and he's also a forum member, our own @OnlyOneHighlander (where are you, I miss your stories!)
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline Bender

@Bender, a recc in that genre is David MacPherson with Here be dragons. It's a super book and he's also a forum member, our own @OnlyOneHighlander (where are you, I miss your stories!)

Thanks. Looks very interesting.

I was in a bit of a rut unable to choose my next book you you may have just pulled me out. Ta.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline itsmevichet

You have my attention.

@Bender hope you enjoy my work, and please let me know what you think!

Funny thing, a lot of my inspiration for how the Cruxverse works is from sillier "yes-and" improv style world building, which is something I really enjoyed in Futurama (and other series like Venture Bros and the like).
Vichet Ou
Author of the Cruxverse
Writer of Too Many Lines
Beater of Dead Horses

Offline Bender

You have my attention.

@Bender hope you enjoy my work, and please let me know what you think!

Funny thing, a lot of my inspiration for how the Cruxverse works is from sillier "yes-and" improv style world building, which is something I really enjoyed in Futurama (and other series like Venture Bros and the like).

Finished. Was a great light read. I actually enjoyed the metamorphical interchanges and actually made me feel better after finishing it...which is always good for a book to do.

Keep writing!

Offline itsmevichet

Finished. Was a great light read. I actually enjoyed the metamorphical interchanges and actually made me feel better after finishing it...which is always good for a book to do.

Keep writing!

Thanks so much! I actually have a full length novel (~62,000 words) that I wrote before Crux Skullcrusher atDES that I'm coming out with later this year called the First Rule of Adventuring, set about 1000 years after CSatDES in the pre-industrial age of the world.

Crux was actually just a filler name for an Arthurian character that all my characters keep referencing in "What would Jesus do" moments, and then I decided I had to write a story about him because of all the ridiculous things people attribute to him. And, of course, such stories would be greatly embellished after 1000 years and the real Crux Skullcrusher is just a guy trying to make a living so he can get back to his garden.
Vichet Ou
Author of the Cruxverse
Writer of Too Many Lines
Beater of Dead Horses

Offline Bender

Keep writing!

Thanks so much! I actually have a full length novel (~62,000 words) that I wrote before Crux Skullcrusher atDES that I'm coming out with later this year called the First Rule of Adventuring, set about 1000 years after CSatDES in the pre-industrial age of the world.

Crux was actually just a filler name for an Arthurian character that all my characters keep referencing in "What would Jesus do" moments, and then I decided I had to write a story about him because of all the ridiculous things people attribute to him. And, of course, such stories would be greatly embellished after 1000 years and the real Crux Skullcrusher is just a guy trying to make a living so he can get back to his garden.

Your character named were part of what made me like it. Nope, Gus, Skullcrusher....very refreshing and adds to the fun. Though in real life I'd be pissed to if I had to call "Skullcrusher" often.  ;D

Though in hindsight he should have used some metamorphical wordplay to trick the sword into falling into the well.

Still loved it. You can even make a comic strip outta him.

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
Info: I moved the posts on the other thread to this specific one, since it might help you get readers with Bender's praise :)

Offline itsmevichet

Info: I moved the posts on the other thread to this specific one, since it might help you get readers with Bender's praise :)

Thanks!
Vichet Ou
Author of the Cruxverse
Writer of Too Many Lines
Beater of Dead Horses

Offline Bender

How to delete a post?

Offline ScarletBea

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • LibraryThing profile
How to delete a post?
You can't - *I* have that power ;D