November 24, 2020, 08:37:10 PM

Author Topic: SPFBO 2020  (Read 3488 times)

Offline Bender

Re: SPFBO 2020
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 03:59:49 PM »
So what do you think of the covers?
http://fantasy-faction.com/2020/spfbo-cover-contest

I think the team chose well, and my favourite of the ones shown is really the one in 1st place.

Personal favourite is #5-Dragonseer. I'm not sure about #4-The Clay Queen and #2-The Madness of Hallen. Very understated and doesn't really tell anything.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 05:59:53 AM »
I think they're all great examples of covers that are great advertisements for the contents - I mean Dragonseer is so obviously a "rip-roaring steampunk fantasy adventure" from the pictures alone that I don't think it needed the words on that cover. (Which I see has been noted in the article text too, heh.) The Clay Queen looks absolutely beautiful and I'm immediately interested in picking it up to see what the summary says. Blood Under Water looks rogue-tastic, Madness of Hallen looks stark and hard-bit by frost (and again, I'm interested in reading the summary because woman-on-the-cover, but I hesitate because I've never yet liked an epic fantasy set in wintry ice). And the cover of Immortals is such a perfect advertisement for its contents that I know immediately I don't want to read it.  ;D

Offline ScarletBea

• Welcome party and bringer of Cake. 2nd-in-Command of the Writing Contest
  • Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Geeky Reading Introvert
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2020, 05:58:34 PM »
Here are the top 3 covers for all reviewers, you can vote for your (multiple) favourites!

https://mark---lawrence.blogspot.com/2020/05/spfbo-6-cover-contest.html

I think people are really raising their game, this year I voted for 8, and could easily have chosen a couple more...
At home in the Fantasy Faction forum!

I'm "She Who Reigns Over Us All In Crimson Cheer", according to Peat!

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2020, 06:42:09 PM »
Nah, no one was ever in the forum...
Except for @G_R_Matthews , who's no longer a judge :) I bet he got tired of having to read so many books by force - I know that's what puts me off being part of something like this hehe (apart from the fact I can't really review)

I've stepped back this year... after 5 long years... and apart from editing my own book, I am going to try and read books which have been sat on my shelf for so many years! It'll be good to read by choice, not by obligation.

There have been some truly awesome books in the SPFBOs - but some, forgive me, truly awful ones too. I've enjoyed finding the gems, and not enjoyed having to report on the clods of earth which surround them. That is the purpose of the competition which I fully support... I just need a break!

And good luck to those who enter - get involved with the other authors, networks are the greatest thing to get from this (unless you win... actually, even then!).
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2020, 08:47:34 PM »
Ooooh just discovered that @Christopher C. Fuchs is also entering this year!

Good luck!!

Offline Christopher C. Fuchs

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2020, 09:07:40 PM »
Is anyone from here participating?
I've looked at the list but of course I don't know the real names of many of FF members

Yes indeed.

Submitted by October debut, Lords of Deception, which is being judged by Esme at the Weatherwax Report blog.

https://earthpillarbooks.com/lod/
https://weatherwaxreport.blog/2020/05/25/our-books-and-how-theyre-sorted/
"Top 5 Novel of the Year" --Liviu Suciul, former co-editor of Fantasy Book Critic, review for my debut Lords of Deception (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3016003847).

Offline Bender

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2020, 02:52:03 AM »
So anyone picked any interesting books from this to read?

I've added A King's Bargain (Legend of Tal #1) and A Dream of Fire (The Dragon Queen #1) for now.
"I shall hunt your firstborn children and laugh with glee as I tell them of your death in terrible detail, with many unpleasant adjectives!" - M-Bot

"Who needs science when you have a dragon?" - Neil DeGrasse Tyson in Sharknado 6

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2020, 10:12:41 AM »
Almost at the end of phase 1, I wonder how our members/people mentioned here are faring...

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2020, 02:35:05 PM »
Just wanted to say thank you for the review, and good luck to those still in the competition!

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2020, 06:11:36 PM »
Just wanted to say thank you for the review, and good luck to those still in the competition!
Oh just noticed that!
That was in a way a good result, with a few of the judges wanting to continue the series :)

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2020, 09:39:05 AM »
Yeah, it was nice to see :) Just need to finish writing the second (I got a publishing deal so switched focus :))
Oh just noticed that!
That was in a way a good result, with a few of the judges wanting to continue the series :)

Offline ScarletBea

• Administrator
  • Big Wee Hag
    • LibraryThing profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2020, 07:18:27 PM »
This is a great summary of all finalists:

(Image by RachelEmma_Shaw)

Offline hexa

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2020, 03:09:39 AM »
I am happy that people are reading The Fall of Erlon by Robert Fleming.  It is a good book