August 23, 2019, 11:29:53 PM

Author Topic: Amazon Changing Free Books to 99c  (Read 326 times)

Offline NedMarcus

Amazon Changing Free Books to 99c
« on: July 11, 2019, 06:11:00 AM »
Has anyone else had problems with Amazon changing the prices of permafree books to 99c?

My permafree story is free on the UK store, but 99c on the US one. I've asked for it to be changed back, but no luck so far.

Offline Not Lu

Re: Amazon Changing Free Books to 99c
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 04:35:45 PM »
Ned, you can go to a site like Writer Sanctum or kboards (Writer's Cafe) and ask other authors to report your book as being free on other sites (google, apple, etc). That usually gets the book turned back to free on Amazon fairly quickly.

Offline Ray McCarthy

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2019, 10:04:58 PM »
Amazon only offers free at THEIR discretion on ANY marketplace. Smashwords is the place to have a free book (redistributes to Apple, Kobo, Barns&Noble etc). However should it be free or included?
Also you can generate discount codes for Smashwords itself.
My research suggests a downloaded free book (other than one searched for on Gutenberg etc) is less likely to be read than a bought one.

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 04:19:49 PM »
My research suggests a downloaded free book (other than one searched for on Gutenberg etc) is less likely to be read than a bought one.

I think it's certain. But, it can still be useful.

Not so sure about Smashwords. All respect to Mark Coker for his work setting it up, but it's become dated. I go direct where I can (Kobo, Amazon, Google Play) and use D2D for the rest.