December 16, 2019, 09:50:44 AM

Author Topic: People Scamming Goodreads Giveaways  (Read 2879 times)

Offline asabo

People Scamming Goodreads Giveaways
« on: December 04, 2015, 06:02:46 PM »
In my last giveaway, 6 out of 10 people have sold their books to used books stores immediately upon receiving them.

I can tell because I haven't sold any print books in the USA and there are 6 available on Amazon thru 3rd party stores. I mailed the books 3 weeks ago. There are no reviews posted. So I suppose they could have read the books first, but I'm doubtful.

This is the 2nd time this has happened with a giveaway. The first time it was only 1 book out of 10 and I shrugged it off. I realize that you can't expect reviews, or even that it will be read, but this is very disappointing. Someone else is making money off my books. Looks like I won't be doing this again.
Lethal Seasons - Apocalyptic Science Fiction (no zombies)
http://allthereisandtherestofit.blogspot.com/p/lethal-seasons.html

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
Re: People Scamming Goodreads Giveaways
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 06:12:43 PM »
That's interesting. I've never done a Goodreads giveaway, but this just seems odd to me. I've sold books to used independent bookstores (books I've bought legally of course, after I read them) and the price for selling them is always very, very tiny. I recently cleared out my physical bookshelf (got tired of moving two massive heavy boxes each time we moved, plus no space) and I want to say I got MAYBE $30 for about 80-100 books? (Mostly paperbacks, maybe 20% hardbacks).

Are you sure this is what's going on? I don't know that it would be financially viable. I'm not trying to talk down the value of your work by any means, but even the books of traditionally published authors, when sold to a used book store, typically go for pennies on the dollar. I don't see what benefit there would be to participating in a Goodreads giveaway, then selling your book for $0.20 (probably less, for an indie).

Also, lots of "weird" stuff happens on Amazon. I believe that once books are in their system, sometimes 3rd party sellers will list them even if they don't have them in stock (similar to how when you Google certain products, you'll always see sponsored links that claim stuff like "Buy everything you want about X at [our website]". Basically, they just insert your book or product's name in hopes of generating traffic.

Anyway, I'm not saying this isn't happening as you describe, just that it doesn't make sense to me. There's no financial motive (I don't believe many used book stores would even BUY used indie books, or if they did, they'd pay pennies for them) and you can't trust all the independent sellers you see on Amazon when many of their sales links are generated by software.

I'd certainly be curious to know what other people think. As an interesting story, there was a brief period after I got the rights to my first book back from the small press that published it (because they were awesome folks, they gave me back all my rights after our first run) where they had taken all of their copies of my book off all stores (Amazon, B&N, Google, etc) and I had not put the new copy up. A few days later, some random "used" bookseller on Amazon was selling "used" copies of my book... for $999 dollars. :) It was ridiculous, so I'm almost certain it was an error in some software used by some random seller to generate sales links.

Offline asabo

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 08:00:34 PM »
I would be really happy to be wrong, Tebakutis. Maybe I have totally jumped to conclusions here. Thanks for taking the time to spell it out. When you go through the steps, I guess it doesn't make those people much money. I may have gotten all puffed up for no reason. :(

I would have to go check out all the offers I guess, but I don't have energy right now.
Lethal Seasons - Apocalyptic Science Fiction (no zombies)
http://allthereisandtherestofit.blogspot.com/p/lethal-seasons.html

Offline tebakutis

• Falsely Puffed Up Rascal Pig and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
    • www.tebakutis.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 04:34:54 AM »
Haha, I was able to dig up the old image, since I posted it to my Twitter at the time.

I don't think there's any way they actually had a used copy of the first edition of my book, nor would anyone be silly enough to sell it for almost $1000 dollars. I think it's an algorithm thing to drive traffic.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 04:40:28 AM »
Haha, I was able to dig up the old image, since I posted it to my Twitter at the time.

I don't think there's any way they actually had a used copy of the first edition of my book, nor would anyone be silly enough to sell it for almost $1000 dollars. I think it's an algorithm thing to drive traffic.

What! Imagine if someone actually buys it...
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Raptori

• Barbarian who does not use the Oxford comma and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • the prettiest kitty cat in the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 04:49:05 AM »
Reminds me of that story about a book on amazon - an academic book about flies - which was on sale for millions of dollars. There were two sellers using algorithms to price their offerings - one was updating itself each day to be 127% of the highest price (excluding itself), the other was updating itself each day to be 99% of the highest price. Before somebody at one of the sellers finally noticed, the prices reached this ridiculous level:

;D

And yeah, as mentioned in that article, many people list items they don't have stocked - with a higher price than the original item - and then if they get a sale they just buy one from the original seller and send it on.  ???
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 04:52:36 AM by Raptori »
I wish the world was flat like the old days, then I could travel just by folding a map.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Khaleesi
    • View Profile
    • Lanko's Goodreads
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 04:56:29 AM »
Reminds me of that story about a book on amazon - an academic book about flies - which was on sale for millions of dollars. There were two sellers using algorithms to price their offerings - one was updating itself each day to be 127% of the highest price (excluding itself), the other was updating itself each day to be 99% of the highest price. Before somebody at one of the sellers finally noticed, the prices reached this ridiculous level:

WTF

That was hilarious.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Lanko's Year in Books 2019

Offline Rostum

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2016, 12:55:29 PM »
Won a copy of Renegade which is a chunky hardback. Chucked it in the TBR pile and it will be the next book I read
below is the nag email from goodreads for not having reviewed it yet.

Dear Simon,

A few weeks ago, you won Renegade by Karolina Wloch in a Goodreads giveaway.
Share your opinion with others on Goodreads!

Write a Review

If you had any issues with this giveaway, please feel free to let us know by emailing us at support@goodreads.com.

Happy reading,
The Goodreads Team

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 01:36:25 PM »
Won a copy of Renegade which is a chunky hardback. Chucked it in the TBR pile and it will be the next book I read
below is the nag email from goodreads for not having reviewed it yet.

Dear Simon,

A few weeks ago, you won Renegade by Karolina Wloch in a Goodreads giveaway.
Share your opinion with others on Goodreads!

Write a Review

If you had any issues with this giveaway, please feel free to let us know by emailing us at support@goodreads.com.

Happy reading,
The Goodreads Team

Well, amazon also begs me for reviews when I buy stuff from my kindle, but I only publish reviews on goodreads.

Is this a problem, for you? Goodreads just can't tell you haven't read it yet.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 01:51:11 AM »
Amazon and Audible do it all the time, I just ignore them. It's only an automatic built in programme that asks for the reviews.

Very rarely do a review on Amazon, but put the same review on both Goodreads and Audible.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Rostum

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 11:59:03 PM »
As part of the review I am writing on Renegade I looked on Ebay. I think the other won copies wound up on there.
Expensive £25+ hardback may not be the best item to give away for a review. She may have got more copies read giving away the paperback.