December 06, 2019, 12:53:27 PM

Author Topic: New author  (Read 3330 times)

Offline mesmithcity

New author
« on: May 07, 2015, 04:46:55 PM »
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Morgan Smith, and I'm just about to release two fantasy novels through Smashwords. I know marketing is hard (wandering through some of the rants was pretty informative) but I am interested in knowing what works and what doesn't...

Online Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: New author
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 06:00:12 PM »
Hi welcome to Fantasy Faction you might get more replies if you go here  http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/introductions/, Don't just hang out with the writers hang out with the readers too as we are more mentally  balanced, see the monthly writing contest if you don't believe me there's definitely signs of madness there

Have a great time here 

According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 06:03:52 PM »
Hi welcome to Fantasy Faction you might get more replies if you go here  http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/introductions/, Don't just hang out with the writers hang out with the readers too as we are more mentally  balanced, see the monthly writing contest if you don't believe me there's definitely signs of madness there

Have a great time here
Hey @Eclipse! Who said we writers are nuts? It's just not true!  ;)  ;D
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Rukaio_Alter

• Writing Contest Regular and Ineffectual Comic Relief
  • Writing Group
  • Ambient Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 06:16:31 PM »

Have a great time here
Us? Mad? Don't be ridiculous. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go continue our discussion on Jurassic shapeshifting raccoon testicles.
5 Times Winner of the Forum Writing Contest who Totally Hasn't Let it All go to his Head.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Also, <Insert GOD EMPEROR OF THE WRITING CONTEST joke here>

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 04:06:23 AM »

Have a great time here
Us? Mad? Don't be ridiculous. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go continue our discussion on Jurassic shapeshifting raccoon testicles.

It's called creative thinking. Thinking outside the box. Away from the regular shape of boring everyday testicles.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline ArcaneArtsVelho

• Secretly I'm laughing about jurassic raccoon testicles. And a Writing Contest Regular
  • Auror
  • Only partially responsible for my custom title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 11:33:05 AM »
People! Let's not scare away the fresh blood. Mmm, fresh blood. ;)

But seriously: Welcome, mesmithcity! Despite our rather peculiar sense of humour, we are mostly quite harmless.  :)
Everything I wrote above is pure conjecture. I don't know what I'm talking about.

I'm a perfectionist but not very good at anything. That's why I rarely finish things.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 11:56:08 AM »
Just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Morgan Smith, and I'm just about to release two fantasy novels through Smashwords. I know marketing is hard (wandering through some of the rants was pretty informative) but I am interested in knowing what works and what doesn't...
Hi, again, @mesmithcity, yoi might want to check out these threads on the Forum:

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/self-publishing-discussion/floundering-in-marketing-a-rant/msg89326/#msg89326

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/writers-corner/adventures-in-writing/msg89393/#msg89393

http://fantasy-faction.com/forum/writers-corner/publishing-ama-(ask-me-anything)/

There are plenty of others you might find useful, but I recall these as having interesting discussions about marketing. Best of luck with your novels. Let us know when they're out.

Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 12:15:00 PM »
Hello and welcome @mesmithcity, we're not only mostly harmless but pretty friendly as well, look around the other threads and see what appeals. ;D
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline mesmithcity

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 03:35:16 PM »
Nice to be welcomed. I'm hoping for a June release date, but who knows? I am technologically somewhat...challenged.

Good advice about hanging out with the readers, absolutely.

And just for the record, the word "harmless" has never been applied as a descriptor to me...

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 04:23:10 PM »
And just for the record, the word "harmless" has never been applied as a descriptor to me...

Our kind of Forum member  ;) ;D
www.starlit-lands.com