September 26, 2020, 03:33:16 PM

Author Topic: Is it worth using Goodreads?  (Read 8105 times)

Offline NedMarcus

Re: Is it worth using Goodreads?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2020, 04:12:00 AM »
Since starting this thread I've only been passively using Goodreads. I list my books there and then leave it alone. I've slowly collected some reviews. I've had more three star than in other places (and one reviewer gave me three stars on Goodreads but four stars on another site) so I assume there's a different criteria for giving stars out on the site.

Completely agree about spending time writing and not on too many other places. Fantasy forums and FB are probably enough for me at the moment.

Offline Pemry Janes

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2020, 10:56:55 AM »
I visit the site, make sure my books are on it. But I'm looking for other ways to connect with my readers.

Offline Skip

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2020, 06:44:45 PM »
I dont' find it a good way to connect with readers. Then again, I don't have all that many readers. :)

But I do visit regularly because that's my library. It's my record of books read, and people do read my reviews. Not entirely sure why, and GR doesn't give me any tools for finding out. The main thing, though, is that it's a record. I've found it to be the most useful after years of keeping lists by hand, in a Word document, in a spreadsheet. It also serves as a reference for when I'm trying to decide what book to buy my (grown) children for birthdays. Books are always my birthday gifts.
Visit Altearth

Offline Christopher C. Fuchs

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2020, 03:11:18 AM »
I've had more three star than in other places (and one reviewer gave me three stars on Goodreads but four stars on another site) so I assume there's a different criteria for giving stars out on the site.

Funny, I had the same thing happen recently (5 stars one place, 4 on another, same reviewer). I assumed it was a mistake, since I use the same number of stars for my reviews across platforms, but maybe he paid more attention to specific criteria than I have.
"Top 5 Novel of the Year" --Liviu Suciul, former co-editor of Fantasy Book Critic, review for my debut Lords of Deception (https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/3016003847).

Offline H.A. Byrd

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2020, 11:35:44 PM »
As far as social media goes, I find that I connect with readers and other writers there better than on FB or Instagram. I've had some interesting conversations, but I don't know if it will ever amount to much. This FF site is better for making connections regarding the fantasy genre, I imagine.

Offline DCuervonegro

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2020, 12:31:12 AM »
I feel like it serves little purpose. I know it's because I barely know what it's about, but I find no organic way to use it other than dumping $300 on promoting the book with them, which seems excessive and completely out of my financial capacities. I also don't understand how to make "friends" with Goodreads, or the purpose of following people.

My book is Sins of the Maker, science fantasy, and there seems to be no science fantasy community there that I can see.

Online Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Dragonrider
  • The Explorer
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2020, 01:21:00 AM »
I feel like it serves little purpose. I know it's because I barely know what it's about, but I find no organic way to use it other than dumping $300 on promoting the book with them, which seems excessive and completely out of my financial capacities. I also don't understand how to make "friends" with Goodreads, or the purpose of following people.

My book is Sins of the Maker, science fantasy, and there seems to be no science fantasy community there that I can see.

It's not a website for authors and it's not there for networking, or for communities. It's a repository for people to list TBR piles and books they've read and leave comments and see what they friends are reading. It just so happens that authors can get involved, some ARCs get released, and small communities are active there, but it's not what the website is for, and consequently it's very hard to get what you seem to want out of it. I for one get everything I want, since I get to see publication dates, reviews, ratings, and bibliographies, and add to tbr piles to browse later when I don't know what to read.

edit : I'll also add that "science fantasy" isn't anywhere near popular enough a sub genre to get a whole tab and be easy to browse... I mean come on, even popular science fantasy series go under different labels, usually space opera (SW, Dune...arguably Long Way..). I'd think it'd need a lot more publications before it becomes a genre worthy of a tag in such a normie and wide ranging website.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 01:24:41 AM by Nora »
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline DCuervonegro

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2020, 04:08:19 AM »
Yeah, agreed. However, one should expect that a site as Goodreads would have at least some venue for the authors and their books. It all goes back to popularity and the domino effect. If you're known you'll be known.

Offline cupiscent

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2020, 04:53:34 AM »
Yeah, agreed. However, one should expect that a site as Goodreads would have at least some venue for the authors and their books. It all goes back to popularity and the domino effect. If you're known you'll be known.
It certainly used to have more capacity for authors to use it for promotion purposes, hosting book giveaways and things like that. But Amazon have tightened that up and made it pay-for-use. Meh.

Offline CameronJohnston

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2020, 08:52:02 AM »
I only use it to keep track of the books I've read. Not sure it's any use for marketing at all beyond the usual channels of word of mouth and people seeing their friends reviews.

The Traitor God & God of Broken Things

Offline Magnus Hedén

• High Lord of commas and Grand Master of semicolons
  • Ambient Mage
  • My name is Magnus. I make stuff up.
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2020, 09:32:58 AM »
I find it useful for several things.
  • I've done the reading challenge each year since 2017, which has spurred me from reading haphazardly (5-10 books in a year) to over 80 books last year, and on target for 90 in 2020.
  • I can check through my yearly reading lists when people ask me for recommendations.
  • I get recommendations based on friends there or sometimes from the site (though I usually double-check those).
  • I also like the "your year in books page" where I can check the average length of books I've read and some other fun little stats.

Offline Skip

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2020, 04:28:19 PM »
"Is it worth ..." questions need a predicate. What do you value as worthy?

In this case, does it mean, I want to sell more books, so if I spend time on Goodreads will I get more sales?
Or it could mean, will I learn more about the craft of writing here?
Or it could mean, will I find a community of fellow writers (or readers) with whom I can talk shop?
and so on.

Obviously there's worth at Goodreads. Folks have mentioned a few points. If it were worthless, no one wouild go there, right?
Visit Altearth

Offline NedMarcus

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2020, 05:14:19 AM »
I originally posted this question in the Self Publishing Discussion section of the forum because I was interested in whether Goodreads is worth using from a marketing point of view. I don't think it is, but having a passive presence there is probably a good idea for an author.

Of course, other people may choose to take the meaning in other ways. That's fine.

Offline Skip

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2020, 04:21:06 PM »
I agree it doesn't bring much benefit from the marketing angle, except in the sense that the more places you "exist" the more likely you are to be found by chance.
Visit Altearth