June 26, 2019, 09:24:12 AM

Author Topic: Good freelance editors?  (Read 23527 times)

Offline CaitSpivey

Re: Good freelance editors?
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2015, 06:26:41 PM »
Great discussion going in this topic so far!

I'm an editor with indie presses REUTS Publications and Curiosity Quills Press, both of whom are SFF-oriented, and I'm also a literary agent assistant at Corvisiero Agency. In addition to that, I co-own a freelance editing company called Bear and Black Dog Editing.

Courtney has given great advice, and I just want to second a lot of what she's said. For a novel of average length, expect to pay somewhere between $1200-$1800 for a full manuscript edit. (asabo, your 80k example would be about $1000-$1300 by my company's prices, depending on what the page count ended up being--we charge a flat fee of $6/page.)

A reputable editor will always provide references and do a free sample--we do a three-page sample for full MS edits. It's really important to find an editor who is not only skilled, but who gets your writing style and your genre.

Many editors these days offer less expensive packages. At Bear and Black Dog, we've got a very popular reader report package that's only $1/page. We don't make actual edits to the manuscript, but we read it and give you an editorial letter detailing the strengths and weaknesses of the manuscript, which our clients have found very helpful for guiding their own revisions. Reader reports are what many lit agencies and publishers use to assess a manuscript they're considering signing or buying. And we've just started a new revision planning consultation service, where we IM/skype with clients and walk them through outlining each step of their revisions.

As others have said, some editors will do whatever is needed, others keep clear boundaries between kinds of editing. My company offers edits targeted at either structural or line/copy, but they're priced the same way so if I find that the manuscript actually needs more of one or the other, I go ahead and do it. My company is also able to offer what we call a "twice tried" or publishing house edit. We have two editors, so the pub house edit gets you two passes, in other words, structural AND line editing, for only $8/page--which is nice, because then you don't have to do two separate editing jobs at the $6/page price, which saves our clients money.

TL:DR, a good editor will work with you however they can, because they love the written word as much as you do.  :D
"Realism, in so far as it means reality to life, is always bad art." -Sherwood Anderson

Author | caitspivey.com
Editor of SFF at bearandblackdog.com

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2015, 06:35:50 PM »
...for only $8/page--which is nice, because then you don't have to do two separate editing jobs at the $6/page price, which saves our clients money.
Very interesting, thank you.
Can you guide to number of words per page generally?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline CaitSpivey

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2015, 06:40:44 PM »
...for only $8/page--which is nice, because then you don't have to do two separate editing jobs at the $6/page price, which saves our clients money.
Very interesting, thank you.
Can you guide to number of words per page generally?

We require manuscripts and materials to be size 12 Times New Roman or similar, with 1-inch page margins, and based on that the words per page can range from 250-400 depending on paragraph and dialogue ratios and such. I usually use 350 words/page when giving rough estimates.
"Realism, in so far as it means reality to life, is always bad art." -Sherwood Anderson

Author | caitspivey.com
Editor of SFF at bearandblackdog.com

Offline aidan

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2015, 09:08:25 PM »
I can highly recommend Richard Shealy (who posted earlier in this thread under the name "Shecky") of SF/F Copyediting. He did tremendous work on my short fiction collection--quick and thorough and professional from the first time I contacted him to delivery of my manuscript.

Offline Michael Sullivan

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 11:27:59 AM »
The American Copy Editors Society (ACES) will post a free ad for you on their job board and you can get a lot of good candidates that way.

Some that I have used and can recommend:

* www.FirstEditing.com  - I think they do a sample edit of some number of pages for free

* elance.com - has lots of freelance copyeditors

* guru.com - also is a site to pair freelance people with projects

* marty.halpern@gmail.com - just did some editing on my Hollow World project

* http://www.douglascoheneditorial.com/contact - I've not used, but I think he has a good reputation.

* ross@haresrocklots.com - has edited some books of a fellow author I know.

* teri@editing fairy.com - another editor for an author I know

* michael@belleetoilestudios.com - I've not used but seems like he knows his stuff

* petermbradley@gmail.com - edited a short story for me

*  pwitcover@yahoo.com  & ljorstad@earthlink.net - edited my Hollow World book

Offline aidan

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2015, 08:18:24 PM »
Michael, any reason in particular that you use so many different copyeditors for your work, rather than just sticking with a favourite?

Offline louannpope

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2015, 07:03:18 PM »
I'm a freelance copyeditor, and here is my brief summary:

My former career was in business, finance, and economics and included significant writing and editing. . .but I've always loved reading and language, so I obtained a specialized copyediting certification and launched a freelance copyediting career. Personally, my favorite genres to read are science fiction & fantasy and mystery. Because I loves language and have this eclectic combination of background and interests, I can copyedit a wide range of materials -- everything from academic journal articles to company press releases to time-travel romances. Regardless of the type of writing, my goal is always to ensure that the manuscript reflects the best of the author's ability and unique voice. I see the editing process as a collaboration with the author, in which I act as a bridge between the author and the reader. For more information, as well as testimonials and a selection from my portfolio, please go to my website (http://louannpope.com).

As others have alluded to, copyediting rates can vary widely. My practice is to ask for a sample of 500-1,000 words—ideally from the middle of the book—and then to provide an edited version of that along with a preliminary estimate based on the extent of editing that seems necessary. The estimate is then subject to change when I receive the full manuscript, at which time the author and I agree on a rate before I begin editing in earnest.

Regardless of whether you'd like to hire me, you may find the FAQ page (http://louannpope.com/faq/) of my website useful. There I have provided explanations of the difference between copyediting and developmental/substantive editing and between copyediting and proofreading, as well as other information about the value of editing.

Louann Pope
Freelance Copyeditor
lp@louannpope.com
http://louannpope.com
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 07:10:36 PM by louannpope »

Offline louannpope

« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2015, 07:56:51 PM »
For anyone looking for writing/editing assistance (earlier in the process than copyediting), I recommend Stuart Horwitz and his company, Book Architecture.
His website contains a great chart (http://www.bookarchitecture.com/services/) that helps you figure out which of his services you might want. He does everything from ghostwriting to writing coaching to developmental editing, as well as assisting with either traditional publishing or self-publishing.
Or, if you prefer the do-it-yourself route to revision and developmental editing, please pick up a copy of his latest book Book Architecture: How to Plot and Outline Without Using a Formula. It's available from Amazon (http://myBook.to/BookArchNoFormula), as well as other retailers. The book introduces three tools—the arc, the grid, and the target—that can be applied to fiction, film and TV, or creative nonfiction. In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that I proofread the book.

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2015, 09:18:13 PM »
Hi,

I offer developmental editing through my company, Rock Editorial Services. I'm a former literary agent at Writers House and also the author of a YA dystopian novel, Scripted, from Penguin. My clients have gone on to self-publish and traditionally publish successfully (among them Anna Adams, author of THE FRENCH GIRL series.) I love fantasy, particularly YA fantasy and am always on the hunt for more great clients, which is how I found myself on this forum.

You can find out more about me and my services at www.maya-rock.com/book-editing-services.

Offline Barbara J Webb

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2015, 04:04:18 PM »
The American Copy Editors Society (ACES) will post a free ad for you on their job board and you can get a lot of good candidates that way.

Some that I have used and can recommend:

* www.FirstEditing.com  - I think they do a sample edit of some number of pages for free

* elance.com - has lots of freelance copyeditors

* guru.com - also is a site to pair freelance people with projects

* marty.halpern@gmail.com - just did some editing on my Hollow World project

* http://www.douglascoheneditorial.com/contact - I've not used, but I think he has a good reputation.

* ross@haresrocklots.com - has edited some books of a fellow author I know.

* teri@editing fairy.com - another editor for an author I know

* michael@belleetoilestudios.com - I've not used but seems like he knows his stuff

* petermbradley@gmail.com - edited a short story for me

*  pwitcover@yahoo.com  & ljorstad@earthlink.net - edited my Hollow World book

I second the recommendation of Marty Halpern. I worked with him on City of Burning Shadows, and he's great. Did a thorough job without trying to back-seat-drive my writing style.
Breaking the world one character at a time.

Offline jjwilbourne

« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2016, 12:47:16 AM »
http://www.jimwilbourne.com
@jimwilbourne
Love reading epic fantasy books?
Read my free fantasy short story! http://www.jimwilbourne.com/first-blood

Offline CateLewitt

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2016, 10:17:49 AM »
Hello.
You'll be able to find some pretty good freelance writers and editors here: https://www.xplace.com/writing/freelancers. I often look for them on this website for freelancers when I'm in need of editing services. This board is commission free and has lots of skilled writers and editors for hire.

Offline Steve S

« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2016, 02:46:12 PM »
I've just posted on my blog my interview with Helen Baggott, who is an accredited proofreader and copy-editor, and a partner member of ALLi (Alliance of Independent Authors). Helen offers a range of professional services including editing, proofreading and self-publishing advice.

Interview with Helen Baggott

In the interview, Helen talks about the importance of editing and proofreading, and discusses some of the most common mistakes she finds when reading manuscripts.

I hope you find the interview helpful. Helen has worked on all four of my novels, and I definitely recommend her services – Helen’s professionalism and attention to detail certainly improved my books, and her prices are very competitive.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2016, 09:31:59 PM »
Thanks, Steve. Nice informative read. 
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline JCkang

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2017, 12:46:20 AM »
I use Alexis at Word Vagabond.