September 30, 2020, 07:30:04 PM

Author Topic: Adjeness  (Read 1446 times)

Offline Steve Jackson

Adjeness
« on: February 22, 2016, 05:08:21 AM »
I am actually visiting my old hangouts for reading suggestions for my writing downtime, but my need for good fantasy has been caused by my finally getting some of my back catalog off the desk and into publications.

Adjeness is pretty old, I first published it in 1981 and was able to get the rights back for it, but it was the start of the series and eventually lead to the more popular Total Eclipse series.  Anyway, I hope anyone who reads it enjoys it.

Steve Jackson

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
Re: Adjeness
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 11:51:47 AM »
Hi, Steve. Out of curiosity, I'm finding several Steve jacksons on Amazon and wiki. Do you have a web page for yourself?
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Phoenix

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 05:37:56 PM »
Hi, Steve. Out of curiosity, I'm finding several Steve jacksons on Amazon and wiki. Do you have a web page for yourself?
Thats kind of creepy^ :o
"My death shall spark a war, and from the ashes of the battlefield I shall be reborn"

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 06:30:52 PM »
Don't assume you have a stalker just yet  ;D
I suspect Jmack wants to check out your writing. Think of it as being like the guest who makes a beeline to your bookcases on entering your home. Someone says they are a writer round here lots of people will look at their work. It may generate you a sale or two.

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 06:36:50 PM »
I suspect Jmack wants to check out your writing. Think of it as being like the guest who makes a beeline to your bookcases on entering your home. Someone says they are a writer round here lots of people will look at their work. It may generate you a sale or two.

Um, yeah. This ^

I was intrigued y his comments about a "back catalog" and the amount of time that had gone by, and getting control of his books from publishers. This implied someone who's been at the game for a good while. I found the book cover to be pretty lacking, but was still interested in the author's journey; and maybe in his books.
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline m3mnoch

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 06:43:37 PM »
i'd like to point out those two things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

just sayin'.

Offline Steve Jackson

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 12:00:14 AM »
http://www.virdea.net/

I do not think anyone would stalk me.  You have to be popular to be stalked :)

Offline Steve Jackson

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 12:18:12 AM »

Um, yeah. This ^

I was intrigued y his comments about a "back catalog" and the amount of time that had gone by, and getting control of his books from publishers. This implied someone who's been at the game for a good while. I found the book cover to be pretty lacking, but was still interested in the author's journey; and maybe in his books.

I wrote the entire series between 1979 and 1984 at the urging of my mother, who was very important to my development since I was accidentally tracked in school. The books were published by a youth publishing firm, who held the contract on them for a number of years.  My mother and father died last year of cancer within a few months off each other, and my mother had been urging me from when she first got cancer to resurrect the books and put them back out.

I talked the book series over with my agent - I work as a director and a technologist, plus am a professional writer on the side, and he and I agreed that a labor of love such as I had should be done either small press or independent.  The first one is independent, but I have had small press contacts on it so we will see where that leads. 

The books themselves have been used for years by me as foundations for game designs and other creative work, Total Eclipse and Legacy of Empire were both substantially based on them.  The main question is if I can keep my work calendar clear enough to keep publishing them at a regular pace.  I make a lot more money on my non-fiction and professional writing both under my name and under my pen names, and I am negotiating a writing contract for creating fiction in a game world for a game company, but I still hope to keep this series afloat even if I do not have time to do many signings or press for it.

Offline Steve Jackson

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 01:30:06 AM »
A stalking story.

I write books about a lot of things, but one thing I write is French history.  A group of American collectors of French memorabilia asked me to write a book on the subject, and I did.  The book was good in its PDF form, had problems in its Amazon forum (it kept getting corrupted), but it was solved and sells very well.

I work closely with many French people, and had done research with several.  Suddenly they start getting harassed from French e-mail addresses.  Then the forums they were on began to have dozens of new posters make vitriolic attacks.  Then the same thing happened to me. 

Then the stalkers made a mistake.  I was working for a government agency when they sent me a series of threatening e-mails.  The agency I was working at for a short while opens and reads all its mail.  Suddenly these bozos are exposed. 

Turned out it was three French gentlemen who spent their every waking day attacking American cultural imperialism.  They were angry that a French book with a similar title came out after my book but was onside for 400 bucks US, whereas mine was for sale for 9. 

I never found out how the agency did it, but the guys stopped. 

Offline JMack

• Writing Group
  • Big Wee Hag
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 01:36:02 AM »
I hate realizing that creeps exist, even they're relatively petty. I'd much prefer they be in our fantasy novels, and not running around in the RW.
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Steve Jackson

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 02:17:58 AM »
I hate realizing that creeps exist, even they're relatively petty. I'd much prefer they be in our fantasy novels, and not running around in the RW.

I agree.  I grew very thick skin as an author very young.  Haters hate.  These guys spent untold hours each day hating on my book (and I barely noticed sadly enough) when they could have written their own better one and made a mint - the eBook in Amazon was bugged due to an error in the system when it was first posted (iTunes worked though).

Now days when someone reads Adjeness and says, "you suck!" I barely notice.  It is easy to say you suck.  PCs suck, Macs suck, iPhones suck, World of Warcraft sucks, Tolkien sucks, and so forth.  "You suck" won't make me change a word of my book.

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Dragonrider
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 10:41:57 AM »
If everyone loves your work then your audience is friends and family. Most authors feel that ignoring bad feedback or reviews is the honourable approach as getting drawn into a war of words will never help their cause.

Offline Steve Jackson

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 12:15:16 PM »
Or rather I reserve my attention to a group of readers in my writing circle, and then my test readers who are randomly selected and paid a small stipend for their opinion and never ever meet me or even know the title of the book they read.  And in some cases, with books written decades ago, the time for me to make huge corrections is over, the book has to be complete sometime.  On the other hand I have noticed a new version of error in book editing that is present in mine and that is editorial disagreement where a better sentence was made worse by over editing, or even a spelling error introduced by having an editor introduce it when the error was not in the original. 

When a test reader points out a difficult passage on a first read it is cause for attention.  When someone posts to a forum this quote,

"this sucks because poli correct crap is shit"

I am not sure how it could be used to improve my next book.  Or that this person was in my target audience in the first place.  Nothing worse than an author trying to speak reason to a hater - it is like chasing your hat on a windy day.