July 03, 2020, 11:53:40 PM

Author Topic: YA for young males?  (Read 12901 times)

Offline Peat

Re: YA for young males?
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2016, 06:07:18 PM »
Do that poll, I'd be interested in it.
This is the blog of Peat - http://peatlong.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline NinjaRaptor

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2016, 08:55:43 PM »
It's my hunch that young boys more than girls gravitate towards content that is not considered "appropriate" for younger audiences, such as sex and violence. In that respect they'd probably find "grown-up" fiction more fulfilling than YA. I don't even know if a YA novel could come out catering to (common) teenage male interests without being badly scarred by censorship. Certainly not the teenage male equivalent of a romance novel---it'd be plastered by the disclaimer that it's not suitable for anyone under 18.
NEW self-published anthology:
Dinosaurs & Dames

Offline Justan Henner

• Barbarian who pronounces are, our and hour all the same way
  • Writing Group
  • Auror
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2016, 02:13:45 PM »
:o

I'm always surprised when an old thread gets bumped, and I see multiple paragraph-length posts of mine on topics I have absolutely zero interest in. I'm starting to think I just like to argue.

No you don't

Offline Kitvaria Sarene

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2016, 12:34:29 AM »
I'm from Germany, and our market seems to be a bit different. For a start we have the books categorized by agree 6-8, 8-10, 10-12, and then either 12+ or in bigger stores another 14+ section. So mostly 12 is were ya started here.

For the genders - most "gender neutral" books are published with boys as a focus. Because girls do read "boys books", but boys do not read girly stuff. So having girls read Percy Jackson, Skullduggery Pleasant and so on isn't a problem.

In my shop I have about 40/60 girly and non girly books on stock - the different mostly being due to the big success of books like selection.

There are plenty good fantasy books for makes at that age. A lot have been named already - still I'll list some up again:

Percy Jackson
Harry Potter
Skullduggery Pleasant
Bartimaeus / Lockwood & Co
Otori (Across the nightingale floor)
Nicholas Flamel (by Scott)
Paladin Project
Maximum ride
Artemis Fowl
Flanagans books are 10+ but his enough to be read older
His majesties dragons
Magicians guild
Magisterium
Rithmatist / Steelheart
Eragon
Maze runner
His dark materials
Epic (kostick)
Half bad
Dreamwalker

Just to name the ones off the top of my head...