September 17, 2019, 02:01:43 PM

Author Topic: which urban fantasy novel are you planning to read next?  (Read 65902 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
Re: which urban fantasy novel are you planning to read next?
« Reply #210 on: February 11, 2015, 05:19:48 PM »
Planning on reading more Thraxas soon
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 09, 2015, 06:01:19 PM »
Now reading Thraxas and the Elvish Isles (Thraxas #4)

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 17, 2015, 05:32:41 PM »
Stop making me talk to myself here  :)

On Thraxas book 7  on a roll lol  :D

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #213 on: March 17, 2015, 11:52:39 PM »
I'm back into an urban fantasy kick. Just finished Monster Hunter Nemesis, kind of hard to categorise these as they also cover science fiction and horror, but if a book has gangsta gnomes, orcs and trailer park elves in it as well as demons and fallen angels I'm calling it urban fantasy. I just started Unbound, the 3d of Jim Hines' Libriomancer series and that fits far more comfortably into the urban fantasy niche.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 26, 2015, 05:53:11 PM »
Reading Skin Game by Mr Butcher  :)

Offline Lady Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Ta'veren
  • So-Old-That-She-Can-Nearly-Be-Called-Oldest-Ty
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 26, 2015, 11:29:35 PM »

Take your time to enjoy , Eclipse, I am suffering desperately from Dresden withdrawal as well as missing Atticus- neither have hinted at more yet. I believe Jim Butcher is going to be in England for Eastercon 2015 though - so envious :(
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #216 on: March 27, 2015, 05:51:29 AM »

Take your time to enjoy , Eclipse, I am suffering desperately from Dresden withdrawal as well as missing Atticus- neither have hinted at more yet. I believe Jim Butcher is going to be in England for Eastercon 2015 though - so envious :(
It's not Dresden, but Jim Butcher does have The Cinder Spire, the first volume of a new steampunk series, coming out in October of this year I believe.

Offline JMack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing contest regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ringbearer
  • Our daily efforts are love poems to the universe.
    • View Profile
    • Tales of Starlit Lands
« Reply #217 on: March 27, 2015, 11:08:57 AM »

It's not Dresden, but Jim Butcher does have The Cinder Spire, the first volume of a new steampunk series, coming out in October of this year I believe.
Already pre-ordered  :)
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)
www.starlit-lands.com

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 30, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »

Finished reading Skin Games great read, now reading  Marked (Mindspace Investigations, #3) by Alex Hughes

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #219 on: April 17, 2015, 12:23:44 AM »
Just jumped into Pocket Apocalypse (the 4th InCryptid) by Seanan McGuire. Very interested to see how she handles setting most of it in Australia.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #220 on: April 23, 2015, 05:53:00 AM »
I wouldn't say Pocket Apocalypse disappointed me (nothing featuring the Aeslin mice can ever be disappointing), but I did find it the least satisfying of the series. Part of it stemmed from being set in Australia and it being obvious that the author doesn't really have any conception of how distances work in Australia, or our geography, then there's her belief that the country is the most dangerous place on earth, when it isn't any more or less dangerous than anywhere else on the planet. We also have a way of speaking that is very hard for a non Australian to correctly capture without making it look like they're trying too hard. I did like her idea of werewolves though, and it's nice to see a new take on the old trope. I think I'll be happy when Verity goes back to being the narrator in the next book. I don't like Alex's voice as much as I do either of his sisters.

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 05, 2015, 09:50:01 AM »
Just downloaded audible version of Three Slices, including

A Prelude to War by Kevin Hearne: After an old friend is murdered in retaliation for his mercenary strikes against the oldest vampires in the world, Atticus O'Sullivan must solicit the aid of another old friend in Ethiopia if he's going to have a chance of finishing a war he never wanted. Meanwhile Granuaile MacTiernan starts a private war of her own against Loki, the lord of lies, and if it brings Ragnarok early - so be it.

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys by Delilah S. Dawson: The number-one rule of the circus? Don't kill your volunteers, even accidentally. That's how young magician Criminy Stain ends up on the run in a forest, where he meets a beautiful woman holding a bucket of blood. But is Merissa the answer to his prayers - or the orchestrator of his ruin?

Interlude: Swallow by Chuck Wendig: Miriam Black is back. Miriam is tired of her curse and finally believes she knows how to be rid of her ability to see when and how other people die. She follows a lead to the mountains of Colorado, where she believes she sees signs of a serial killer she thought she already killed. (Set between The Cormorant and Thunderbird.)

©2015 Kevin Hearne, Delilah S. Dawson, Chuck Wendig (P)2015 Podium Publishing
From Publisher's Summary

Like Kevin Hearne although have a feeling I've read this one before, but haven't read work from either of the others yet so it will be good to try them out.
“This is the problem with even lesser demons. They come to your doorstep in velvet coats and polished shoes. They tip their hats and smile and demonstrate good table manners. They never show you their tails.” 

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #222 on: May 06, 2015, 01:04:56 AM »
Just downloaded audible version of Three Slices, including

A Prelude to War by Kevin Hearne: After an old friend is murdered in retaliation for his mercenary strikes against the oldest vampires in the world, Atticus O'Sullivan must solicit the aid of another old friend in Ethiopia if he's going to have a chance of finishing a war he never wanted. Meanwhile Granuaile MacTiernan starts a private war of her own against Loki, the lord of lies, and if it brings Ragnarok early - so be it.

Not My Circus, Not My Monkeys by Delilah S. Dawson: The number-one rule of the circus? Don't kill your volunteers, even accidentally. That's how young magician Criminy Stain ends up on the run in a forest, where he meets a beautiful woman holding a bucket of blood. But is Merissa the answer to his prayers - or the orchestrator of his ruin?

Interlude: Swallow by Chuck Wendig: Miriam Black is back. Miriam is tired of her curse and finally believes she knows how to be rid of her ability to see when and how other people die. She follows a lead to the mountains of Colorado, where she believes she sees signs of a serial killer she thought she already killed. (Set between The Cormorant and Thunderbird.)

©2015 Kevin Hearne, Delilah S. Dawson, Chuck Wendig (P)2015 Podium Publishing
From Publisher's Summary

Like Kevin Hearne although have a feeling I've read this one before, but haven't read work from either of the others yet so it will be good to try them out.
I highly recommend Chuck Wendig's Miriam Black books, Lady Ty. They're pretty harrowing at times and the language is not to everyone's taste, but they are very well written, with an interesting twist given Miriam's 'gift'.

Offline Lady Ty

• Ta'veren
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 06, 2015, 01:25:42 AM »
Thanks, Elfy, I've been a bit stuck in a rut with old and new favourites and the temptation here is good for me to widen my fantasy reading. The TBR is just soaring.  ::)

Offline mesmithcity

« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2015, 04:12:52 PM »
Magic Shifts by Ilona Anderson. My guiltiest of pleasures.