October 16, 2019, 11:08:16 PM

Author Topic: which urban fantasy novel are you planning to read next?  (Read 67462 times)

Offline Eclipse

• Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
  • Dragonrider
    • View Profile
which urban fantasy novel are you planning to read next?
« on: June 28, 2012, 07:20:46 PM »
I've decided to read dead witch walking  for my next novel to read borrowed from the local library, then after reading some other threads I will try hounded and then Toby Daye, so many authors to try  ;D
According to some,* heroic deaths are admirable things

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Jonathan Stroud:Ptolmy's Gate

Offline Jeni

Re: which urban fantasy novel are you planning to read next?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 12:03:03 AM »
Good question!!
I now have quite a nice list of UF books I want to read, so the next job is to try and get hold of some of them and make a decision  :D

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 12:57:24 AM »
It's an ever growing field. Nearly every time I go into a book store looking to buy something I seem to find another UF book I want to try. It's not precisely UF, but my next book to read is the The Janus Affair, the second Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences book by Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris. Like Gail Carriger's Parasol Protectorate it's a mash up of steam punk, UF and PR. It also helps that the heroine Eliza Braun is a New Zealander and written authentically by Pip Ballantine who also hails from the land of the long white cloud. Okay, she's not an Aussie, but she's still an antipodean so resonates with me.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline SPAZinOL

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 01:54:58 AM »
King of the Dead by Joseph Nassise

Offline ZombieJosh

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 05:03:17 PM »
Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch. So much better than most series in the genre, plus I like the fact it is set in London. Nice to actually know where the author is talking about, rather than some faceless American city.

Offline Idlewilder

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »
At the moment I'm reading The City and the City by China Mieville. Not sure if this counts as urban fantasy? I suppose it probably does.

When I get round to them I plan on picking up the Dresden Files with Summer Knight which has been lying on the shelf for a while now.

And after hearing lots of good things (mainly on fantasy faction! ;D) I decided to pick up Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch.
Make Another World.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 12:50:34 AM »
Whispers Under Ground by Ben Aaronovitch. So much better than most series in the genre, plus I like the fact it is set in London. Nice to actually know where the author is talking about, rather than some faceless American city.

Envious of you, I really want to read that, but not sure when it will surface down here.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 01:19:44 AM »
If no one minds I might kind of use this thread to help us Urban Fantasyites keep track of our reading in the genre. I went from The Janus Affair, which is far more steam punk than anything, with a brief break for Mercury, to Hexed, the second of Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series. If anyone is looking for their UF with a big dash of fun, I'd recommend the Iron Druid's, they're highly entertaining and the move fast as well.

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
Iron druid is next on my urban fantasy list, finished reading Dead Witch Walking it wasn't for me unfortunately

Having a little break from urban fantasy atm,  I've just read Prince of Thorns loved it and now reading Glen Cook Black Company which im enjoying alot  ;D

* Generally those who don't have to do it.Politicians and writers spring to mind

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 02:22:57 AM »
Iron druid is next on my urban fantasy list, finished reading Dead Witch Walking it wasn't for me unfortunately

Having a little break from urban fantasy atm,  I've just read Prince of Thorns loved it and now reading Glen Cook Black Company which im enjoying alot  ;D

I find I need a break from various genres from time to time. I really enjoyed Cook's Black Company books. He also does a sort of urban fantasy series if you haven't heard of it before Cook also did an urban fantasy sort of series called Garrett P.I. It's about a noirish P.I working in a fantasy world.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 06:10:48 AM »
I'm reading Whispers Underground. I saw it last week and snapped it up, then there was a fight with my wife over who got to read it first, fortunately she was still going through the Hugo nominated novellas and I'd just finished Tigana, so I got it first. It's great. Reading these gives me the same feel when I first discovered two of my other UF favourites: Harry Dresden and Toby Daye

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 12:17:43 AM »

I just finished Whispers Underground, it's true what you say about the city. I've only been to London once, so don't really know it, but the way Aaronovitch describes it allows me to see it perfectly and it does have a real sense of place about it, rather than just a setting.

Offline Xiabei2

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »
I recently started "Fated" by Benedict Jacka, but lost interest by chapter five. I realize authors have to build a world, but I sometimes grow weary of the "instructional" aspects of urban fantasy - when a narrator/main character has to give a "magic lesson" every time something magical comes into play.

Offline Elfy

• Powers That Be
  • Big Wee Hag
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 12:33:20 AM »
I recently started "Fated" by Benedict Jacka, but lost interest by chapter five. I realize authors have to build a world, but I sometimes grow weary of the "instructional" aspects of urban fantasy - when a narrator/main character has to give a "magic lesson" every time something magical comes into play.
Shame to heard that about Fated. I was considering picking it up, but I already love Dresden and I'm reading the Iron Druid series, as well as the Folly, and I didn't want to add another similar series into my reading diet.I was still thinking about reading it, but I'm starting to hear more and more comments like yours. Once I finish The Great Hunt I think I'll read Hammered (3rd of the Iron Druid series), provided nothing else shiny catches my eye before then.

Offline Eclipse

• Dragonrider
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 03:19:01 PM »
I've now got round to reading Hounded I'm at the bit where Atticus teamed up with his vampire lawyer kicking giants about on his front garden great fun  ;D