March 30, 2017, 11:41:00 PM

Author Topic: What Sci-Fi book are you currently reading?  (Read 28748 times)

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
Re: What Sci-Fi book are you currently reading?
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2015, 01:03:12 PM »
I just finished Planetfall by Emma Newman. Lots of aspects of his book were unexpected for me. It is definitely good, but a book that I may need to process for a bit.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline shieldfire

« Reply #151 on: November 03, 2015, 05:27:29 AM »
The Lives of Tao by Wesley Chu
Fairly decent so far ...

Offline Arry

• Cat of the Canals
  • Administrator
  • Elderling
  • Faceless
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Reader
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2015, 10:01:41 PM »
Fairly decent so far ...

I really enjoyed that one, and felt the books got better as the series progressed.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only once.”
-- George R.R. Martin

http://www.tenaciousreader.com

http://www.speculativeherald.com

Offline Elfy

• Writing contest regular
  • Powers That Be
  • Ringbearer
    • View Profile
    • Purple Dove House
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2015, 06:52:44 AM »
Fairly decent so far ...

I really enjoyed that one, and felt the books got better as the series progressed.
The first one had one of the best openings I can remember reading from a recent book. Grabbed the attention right from the get go.
I will expand your TBR pile.

http://purpledovehouse.blogspot.com

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • Trapped by choice in the Apple garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 05, 2015, 11:52:17 AM »
Fairly decent so far ...

The first one had one of the best openings I can remember reading from a recent book. Grabbed the attention right from the get go.

I loved the opening and then became generally bored and underwhelmed as our human schlub became more and more competent. I might try the next, but there are some self-pubbed authors on this site calling out for a reading.

Ah, the TBR. We could write hymns of bitter devotion to you........
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline shieldfire

« Reply #155 on: November 05, 2015, 04:41:17 PM »
The reason I'm reading this is that I saw a new installment at my Sci-Fi bookshop. I can't start a series in the middle now can I?  :)

Offline Titus

« Reply #156 on: November 20, 2015, 12:22:11 PM »
I'm really enjoying The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell at the moment.  I'm on book #2, and whilst it's not deep, it's fun and fast-paced.  Has anyone else read these?

Offline G_R_Matthews

« Reply #157 on: November 20, 2015, 04:27:35 PM »
I'm really enjoying The Lost Fleet series by Jack Campbell at the moment.  I'm on book #2, and whilst it's not deep, it's fun and fast-paced.  Has anyone else read these?

Just got to the end of Book #6 - I enjoyed them all and the personal relationships, politics gets better and better as the books continue.
Staff Writer and ponderer of many things @ fantasy-faction

The Stone Road (4/5* Bookwormblues.net) : myBook.to/thestoneroad
Silent City : myBook.to/silentcity

www.grmatthews.com

Offline Titus

« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2015, 06:21:46 PM »

Just got to the end of Book #6 - I enjoyed them all and the personal relationships, politics gets better and better as the books continue.
Great ^-^ pleased to hear it gets better!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 01, 2015, 03:47:30 AM »
What do you guys think of Steampunk?

Before the book club in the forum returned, i joined one in Goodreads and that is the theme for December. Book chosen was Perdido Street Station, by China Miélville. Don't know the genre, so not sure if i pick up the book.
“I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.”

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Lady_Ty

• Blessed River Lady and Defender of Baby Dragons
  • Master Namer
  • Dragon Duchess
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 01, 2015, 05:12:14 AM »
What do you guys think of Steampunk?

Before the book club in the forum returned, i joined one in Goodreads and that is the theme for December. Book chosen was Perdido Street Station, by China Miélville. Don't know the genre, so not sure if i pick up the book.
@Lanko, Perdido Street Station isn't really steampunk, or urban fantasy, or SciFi but a strange mixture of all and more.  China Mieville defines his writing as 'New Weird" and that sums it up pretty well.

I would suggest that you do not read any in depth reviews but go to this book with a very open mind. You could google it just for images which may prepare you for what to expect.  It is unlike anything I have ever read before and it is now one of my favourite books. Great admiration and awe for the writing, imagination and the strange, crazy, horrible world that unfolds. 

In brief it basically takes place in the city of New Crobuzon, which is huge  miserable and filthy, inhabited by strange misfits - humans and many other species, also some interbred and Remade. It follows two lovers, Isaac, a human and Lin, a Kephri (flying insect like being) and what happens when an experiment goes wrong and also when each takes on a new work contract, but far more than just that. There are questions of morality and politics all mixed in with strange action and characters.

Won't say more - this story is grim all the way through, no let up, but if you are prepared for that it is fascinating.  You may love it or hate it, but it is worth giving it chance.  Maybe get from the library in case you hate it. ;)

I imagine arguments being swallowed back, wine spit in glasses and gurgling up bottles. I imagine my ring sliding off my finger, Bobby's lips hot on mine for the first time again, and then unknown to me.
Time doesn't seem to ever be kind. - Nora - Time's Arrow 1750

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 01, 2015, 05:45:22 AM »
I actually looked a deep review before I read this  ::)

But yours convinced me. I decided to get it. Nation is done and I have nothing major for December anyway. It's a large book as well.

“I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul.”

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Offline Nora

• Dropped in from another planet avec son sourire provocateur - et Hades and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Ta'veren
  • The Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 01, 2015, 11:11:30 AM »
I love Mieville. He's definitely weird.

I'm well into the beginning of Ancillary sword, after having read Ancillary Justice. I'm enjoying these books. Space Opera, when well written, is a great genre for me.
"She will need coffee soon, or molecular degeneration will set in. Her French phrasing will take over even more strongly, and soon she will dissolve into a puddle of alienation and Kierkegaardian despair."  ~ Jmack

Wishy washy lyricism and maudlin unrequited love are my specialty - so said Lady_Ty

Offline Rostum

• Strange Turnip Person and He Who Waits
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 27, 2015, 04:24:08 PM »
Read old man's war by scalzi nice idea got a bit sentimental for me.

Offline Overlord

« Reply #164 on: December 29, 2015, 08:14:21 AM »
The Last Exodus by Paul Tassi was a lot of fun... look forward to the next 2 books in the trilogy. Think it lived up to its promise of being a Walking Dead / Guardians of the Galaxy hybrid :)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering