October 17, 2019, 01:44:33 AM

Author Topic: Twilight Films  (Read 7486 times)

Offline Overlord

Twilight Films
« on: July 12, 2011, 09:24:41 AM »
What did you think?

I thought they were AMAZING for the 10 minutes that the wolves were fighting each other.

Then they were fairly boring... not really my kind of thing...

People seem to be in love with them though... What are your thoughts?
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline AlexEatsBooks

Re: Twilight Films
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 09:37:26 AM »
I don't like them at all really. I enjoyed the books to some extent (that is for another long and ranty post) but the films just tend to make me laugh. My mum, however, LOVES them..... *is embarrassed...* lol
Even if it's remembered, a dream is just a dream.
Book Blog: http://www.alexeatsbooks.blogspot.com

Offline Overlord

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 11:09:09 AM »
I don't like them at all really. I enjoyed the books to some extent (that is for another long and ranty post) but the films just tend to make me laugh. My mum, however, LOVES them..... *is embarrassed...* lol

My girlfriend seems to really like them, I've seen all three at the cinema with her. I mean, I'd never watch them at home, but to keep her happy they are not the worst thing I've ever seen - just fairly dull. Need some more excitement I think =)
Founder: http://fantasy-faction.com
Editor: Fantasy-Faction Anthology (Aug 2014)
Author: "Son of…" in 1853 (2013)
Host: Fantasy-Faction's Grim Gathering

Offline ChrisMB

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »
I only saw the first film with two of my friends, and instead of a love story all we saw was great riffing material.

I tried reading the books a few years back, and I couldn't get through the first five chapters of the first book. Neither the book nor the film were exciting or written very well in my opinion, but then again I am not nor have I ever been the target audience of Twilight or its subsequent books. Much of what bothers me about the Twilight series is how lifeless Bella seems to be and just how she inexplicably manages to have people go to war for her protection. I can understand the whole notion of people wanting to be loved so much that they'll be fought for, but the way the story went about the concept never worked for me.

There are other things that I don't like about Twilight, but I think those go best unsaid.

Offline Fellshot

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 02:57:30 AM »
I did not like the only film installment I saw of it and developed no urge to see if there were any major discrepencies between film and book. I have little love for main characters who do not seem to do anything themselves.

On a less personal level, I see it as proof positive that the Mary Sue character trope will never go away anytime soon, because it is serious wish fulfillment for a large audience that eagerly and enthusiastically devours it. There isn't a lot of variation in the character types offered for that audience in general and there remains a cultural leaning towards female equating to passive and male equating to active, particularly in stories featuring the Mary Sue trope.

Offline Nighteyes

• Send me Leopard Erotica.
  • Ringbearer
  • OH WOW! JUST WORKED OUT HOW TO DO THIS!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 05:24:54 AM »
Kristen Stewart has nice legs, and I see in the new instalment she finally gets laid, so might have a pervy look at that one!lol. Not my cup of tea, and luckily not my wife's either, and if I ever have teenage daughters the phenomenon will long be over, so think I dodged a bullet there.
The Real Powers That Be

Offline Fellshot

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 05:43:54 AM »
Not my cup of tea, and luckily not my wife's either, and if I ever have teenage daughters the phenomenon will long be over, so think I dodged a bullet there.

LOL Makes me really really happy that I spent my tween years watching Xena: Warrior Princess instead.  ;D

Offline missoularedhead

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 09:07:49 PM »
All I can say is that I am thankful that my teenage daughter's take on the phenomenon is that it's a cult, and that vampires who sparkle should be shot on principle.
"Well behaved women rarely make history" ~Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Offline Funky Scarecrow

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 03:00:38 AM »
There are many people who enjoy them and, um... Good for them! I wish them every joy in their chosen entertainment. I'll be diplomatic (for once!) and restrict myself to a simple "Not my thing at all" and leave it there.
I am NOT short. I'm further away than I look.

Offline Shamrock

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 05:56:18 AM »
I enjoyed the soundtracks? But yeah they're okay, not anything to write home about. I actually enjoyed the films more than the books, which never happens.
Books are the blessed chloroform of the mind

Offline Lyz

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 05:36:42 PM »
I enjoyed the soundtracks? But yeah they're okay, not anything to write home about. I actually enjoyed the films more than the books, which never happens.

This. I have the soundtrack for the first movie; it's actually probably one of my favorite CDs.

All in all, I liked the first three books okay. They were fluffy reading I did while in college; something quick and easy to read, to take my mind off school in my downtime.

However, Breaking Dawn made me want to rip my eyeballs out. It's probably one of the worst books I've ever read. If nothing else, I felt that Ms. Meyers tried WAY too hard to give her characters the happy ending that she / "everyone" felt they all deserved. Granted, there were a couple of bits that were interesting for me, but when we got around to the imprinting and the "big" "fight" scene... Yeah. I was just not impressed.

My mother, on the other hand, is a huge fan of the movies. I'm not sure about the books; I think she could care less about those. I went to see the first three in theatres with her when they came out, but now that we live 3,000 miles away, I probably won't be able to take her to see part one of Breaking Dawn when it releases.

On another note, I found someone on Goodreads who is trading the books in hardcover, in Arabic. I kind of want to get them just so I can make some hollow books out of them. :P
Elizabeth Mace Giosia. Call me Lyz. 29. Leo. Fantasy Faction Staff Member, Reviews. Owner of Giosia Photography and Stoneheart Cosplay

Need a review for your novel? Email me at emgiosia@gmail.com!

Offline Khaldun

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 09:16:32 PM »
I have to hold back vomit every time I even hear the word Twilight (especially so when Twilight and Saga are mentioned in the same sentence). Honestly, she knows her audience and she is a fine enough storyteller (for a very well defined audience) but it doesn't have broad enough themes to mean anything to me or anyone outside of her target group. Stephen King was right in saying that the writing is pretty bad...

Movies are worse than the books. They're just visual garbage in my opinion. Anyone who knows me knows that I have three opinions on things: I LOVE it, I like it, or I hate it with all my heart. I take the latter opinion for both the books and the movies.

Offline Arthum

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 06:19:14 PM »
Alright I just found this a few days ago on a polish website with funny pictures, I had the laugh of my life when I first read it and I still laugh from it :D The first and the only funny discussion about Twilight.
http://kwejk.pl/obrazek/297955  read and(hopefully) laugh :D

Offline TsarevichRaven

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 06:19:29 PM »
Meh, I enjoyed them: better than some trite political thriller, or a daft comedy with trite humour. I've not read the books--and won't, because the notion of Bella's first person narration is enough to drive me mad, however the possible book from Edward's POV might be interesting if she ever publishes it--but I enjoyed the movies. There's a lot wrong with them, but, as I said, better than a lot of the other crap that I don't really care for in movies. I'm not a fan of movies in general, however, so I am hard to please.

Now, bear in mind that for months I wouldn't even consider watching them... then, I ran out of films I wanted to watch, and so gave them a go. Twilight was good, New Moon could bore someone more than waiting for Godot to arrive, and Eclipse was great. As for Breaking Dawn...meh...the trailer for the first part looked as boring as hell, and so I'm not expecting much. Still, for what they are, I enjoyed the films.

Still won't touch the books with a bargepole, because, in all honesty, they're supernatual chick-lit.
"Or yet in wise old Ravenclaw ... where those of wit and learning will always find their kind."
-------------
Leo Cristea
Twitter
Website | Jet Black Ink

Offline betsdavies

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 07:51:23 PM »
Only got through the first movie.  I was convinced nothing could be worse than the books, but I was wrong.  For the amount of money that must have been pumped into the thing it was shoddy work.  Skip entirely that the script may have topped the book in vapidness.  Skip that they managed to make everyone even sillier than I thought they were.  The editing was sloppy.  You could drive tractors through the unnecc. footage.  I'll give them that they had a great local gal, but we spent as much time staring at drippy trees as anything else, they were so happy with it.  The direction neither created Bella's uncomfortable nostalgia, the slightly creepy air of the misting area (despite all those trees) or the way the vampires should have crashed us into sudden, slick motion despite the special effects.  Which also sucked.

My advice, watch Vampires Suck!  It sticks it to Twilight pretty dead on--assuming you like way over the top spoof.