May 23, 2017, 01:31:59 PM

Author Topic: Horror Novels Recommendation  (Read 404 times)

Offline S. K. InkSlinger

Horror Novels Recommendation
« on: January 03, 2017, 05:57:44 AM »
I have always been an avid fan of fantasy genre novels eversince when I was young, but lately I've gotten a real interest in starting reading horror stories. However, since I've only dwelled in the fantasy corner, I had no idea where to start. Can anyone recommend some good works of horrors or good horror authors? Starting off, I like the works of Edgar Allan Poe.

Offline Lanko

• Sherlanko Holmes, Jiin Wei and Writing Contest Regular
  • Writing Group
  • Master Namer
    • View Profile
Re: Horror Novels Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 06:23:05 AM »
The Shadow Out of Time from H.P. Lovecraft is one I really loved. Also one of his last works.

The Ballad of Black Tom, by Victor LeValle. He is Lovecraft's fan, and wrote this one in the same vibe. It has more of a Urban Fantasy vibe as well, and more dialogues (something Lovecraft sucked).

Red Dragon, by Thomas Harris is Horror with Mystery/Thriller elements. It's the first book of the Hannibal series and exceptionally well-written, specially the Deep POV of the detective. I think every book with serial killers that came after pretty much tried to rip this off. It doesn't have visceral gore, it's brilliant in it's suggestions and how it slowly and casually brings information and stuff that happened into the light.

Bird Box, by Josh Malerman is also another I've enjoyed a lot two years ago. People have to do everything blindfolded if they wish to stay alive. What is happening and by who and why is all left to your imagination. Very fast paced.

Hm, I need a few more Horror myself.
"It is an old maxim of mine that when you have excluded the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

Lanko's Year in Books 2017

Online Eli_Freysson

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 07:36:42 AM »
I haven't read horror in a long time, but I sure used to.

The Colour out of Space is my personal favourite of Lovecraft's work, and he felt the same way about it. I feel it is the best representation of sheer alien-ness, as the phenomenon that falls to Earth on a rural New England farm is so incomprehensible that characters can only describe it as a colour, and not even one that fits on the usual spectrum. Coupled with the sheer creepiness of the events that follow...
It's available as a well-read audiobook on Youtube.

Pet Sematary (yes, it's spelled that way). I usually feel that Stephen King's real strength lies in short stories, But Pet Sematary is one of the longer ones that really disturbed me. Apparently King himself thought the same way, as he put the original manuscript away for a while, as he felt it was too bleak and horrible.

I'll notify your next of kin... that you sucked!

Offline S. K. InkSlinger

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 12:15:56 PM »
Thank you for the recommendations! The works of Stephen King and H. P Lovecraft doesn sound like interesting places to start off with the genre. The bookstore near my house had lots of works by Stephen King, so that should be a good start.

Offline Foehammer

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 11:45:38 PM »
I love reading fantasy, but horror has been a constant since I was an early teen  :D

Here's a bunch you'll enjoy digging through.

Stephen King. Robert McCammon. Clive Barker. Nick Cutter. Adam Nevill. James Herbert. Benjamin Percy. Joe Hill. Brian Keene. Stephen Graham Jones. Richard Laymon. John Langan. Peter Straub. Bracken Macleod. Adam Cesare. Patrick Lacey. Andrew Lennon. Christopher Golden. Laird Barron. Philip Fracassi. Paul Tremblay. Michael Wehunt. T.E.Garu. Thomas Ligotti. H.P.Lovecraft. Edgar Allan Poe. Livia Llewellyn. Gemma Files. Michael Griffin. Ellen Datlow. Nathan Ballingrud. Josh Malerman. Victor LaValle. Brian Evenson. Chuck Hogan and Guillermo Del toro. Anne Rice. Jason Starr. Matthew M Bartlett. Timothy J Jarvis. Joe R Lansdale. John Connolly. S Craig Zahler. Jason Arnopp. Thomas Olde Heuvelt. M R Carey. Tim Lebbon. Grady Hendrix. Sarah Lotz. Michelle Paver. Ezekiel Boone. Dan Simmons. Ania Ahlborn. Neil Spring. Jack Ketchum. Andrew Michael Hurley. Scott Smith. Mark Z Danielewski. Dean Koontz. William Peter Blatty. Susan Hill. Gillian Flynn. George R R Martin. Ramsey Campbell. Bram Stoker. Mary Shelley. M R James. Damien Angelica Walters. Shirley Jackson. Ira Levin. Thomas Harris. Ray Bradbury. Richard Matheson. Robert Louis Stevenson. John Ajvide Lindqvist. H G Wells. Gaston Leroux. Poppy Z Brite. Cormac McCarthy. Douglas Preston. Elizabeth Kostova. Jonathan Maberry. Bentley Little.......

.....Should keep you busy  :D

Offline S. K. InkSlinger

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2017, 06:36:03 AM »
Woww, out of this list I have only read Stephen King and Edgar Allan Poe, and heard of H. P. Lovecraft. This list will keep me busy indeed!  :D

Offline Jmack

• Hircum Magna Rex of the Fabled Atku Temple, and writing context regular
  • Writing Group
  • Elderling
  • ridiculously obscure is my super power.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 11:55:44 AM »
@Foehammer, you missed Stephanie Meyer.  :o
Change, when it comes, will step lightly before it kicks like thunder. (GRMatthews)
You are being naive if you think that any sweet and light theme cannot be strangled and force fed it's own flesh. (Nora)

Offline Foehammer

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 08:29:06 PM »
@Foehammer, you missed Stephanie Meyer.  :o

No... Stephanie Meyer! :O

*Regurgitates slightly*

Oh... Oh dear God, no! 

:P

Tags: