March 29, 2020, 10:01:29 AM

Author Topic: Hellstrom's Hive  (Read 2720 times)

Offline alexs

Hellstrom's Hive
« on: October 18, 2011, 09:37:22 AM »
I bought this book last week, having never read any Frank Herbert before. So far, Hellstrom's Hive is proving to be as dark, morbid and mysterious as the blurb promised. Really enjoying it!

Offline Dornish First Sword

Re: Hellstrom's Hive
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 09:34:21 PM »
Glad to hear you are enjoying it, always like hearing about people enjoying Herbert (one of my favourite writers). Do you plan to read any more of his works, if so what do you have in mind?
"Still, it may have been a blessing. He would have grown up to be a Frey" - Wyman Manderly

Offline jeffreycoren

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 04:56:25 AM »
Planning to read "Dragon in the sea" and "The Heaven Makers" of Herbert works. Looking for the review of the books.

Offline Dornish First Sword

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 10:55:31 PM »
The heaven makers is great, a very short read you will probably be done in no time. The story itself was pretty awesome, decades a head of its time and very pertinent to today in the wake of the explosion of cctv and pseudo "reality" television and competitive games shows (survivor and the like). Prose and characters are typical Herbert, not fantastic but not plain cardboard cut outs either. The short nature of the book means it is somewhat lacking in depth compared against his other works but in the end you will surely be questioning the morality of what we class as entertainment and the level to which people are willing to go to feed the desire for it. 
"Still, it may have been a blessing. He would have grown up to be a Frey" - Wyman Manderly

Offline alexs

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 11:31:28 AM »
Hellstrom's Hive was brilliant - atmospheric and somewhat disturbing. The ending however left me somewhat frustrated. Wanted it to carry on!

I may read more Frank Herbert - not so bothered about the Dune saga though. I don't know much about his work, so any recommendations would be welcome.

Offline redhead

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 08:21:51 PM »
*bumb*

Hellstrom's Hive was SO good!  having been weaned on his Dune series I'm not used to Herbert books being so "mainstream", but it was a brilliant book. horrifically creepy, yet adorably dated.

I've got The Heaven Makers but haven't read it yet.  Man of Two Worlds, which he wrote with his son, is pretty good straight up Scifi,  The White Plague reads a little like Hellstroms Hive, and The Green Brain is pretty cool too.